Quaker Lane + Congress Square | Downtown

Just for clarity, the buildings shown in Post 276 above are not even part of this project.

The point of the photo was for historic reference. Please note that you can see the back of 33 Congress Street between these two beauties.

According to Banker and Tradesman, Related Beal sold two of the parcels in its Congress Square development located at 13-15 and 19 Congress St. to Thibeault Development of Everett. Thibeault apparently also recently acquired other downtown properties:

Thibeault’s recent acquisitions in Boston include 44 Bromfield St. in Downtown Crossing, the Liberty Tree Building at 630 Washington St. and the FiDi Lofts at 153-155 Milk St.

^Thanks. I walk by this almost daily and still think this is the most exciting project in central Boston. My only hope is that they can find a way to properly activate Quaker Lane. This could be Boston's Stone Street (pictured) or Belden Place:

stone-street-2-1024x658_zpswyesyxid.jpg

Actually, there are a bunch of places that could be Boston's Stone Street or Belden Place (Pi Alley, City Hall Avenue, Marshall St, Winthrop Ln, Spring Ln, etc.), but all of them would need work, and given the work and type of development happening at Quaker Lane/Congrees, it probably has the best shot. Boston has so many underutilized neat urban spaces. This one has a shot at becoming quite a bit more active.

^Thanks. I walk by this almost daily and still think this is the most exciting project in central Boston. My only hope is that they can find a way to properly activate Quaker Lane. This could be Boston's Stone Street (pictured) or Belden Place:

stone-street-2-1024x658_zpswyesyxid.jpg

actually, there are a bunch of places that could be Boston's Stone Street or Belden Place (Pi Alley, City Hall Avenue, Marshall St, Winthrop Ln, Spring Ln, etc.), but all of them would need work, and given the work and type of development happening at Quaker Lane/Congrees, it probably has the best shot. Boston has so many underutilized neat urban spaces. This one has a shot at becoming quite a bit more active.

Love stone street...Quaker lane seems to be on it's way. I agree Marshall St. would be a perfect fit for something stone st-esque, as well.

How long ago was the building torn down for the ex-Fidelity executive parking? The EIFS and metal studs covering the old party wall make me think it wasn't too long ago.

How long ago was the building torn down for the ex-Fidelity executive parking? The EIFS and metal studs covering the old party wall make me think it wasn't too long ago.

Pretty sure that little parking lots has been there since the late '90s at least. The fence around it went up in the mid-'00s. I used to cut through there every day on my way to work.

I'm pretty sure the building was torn down in the mid 1990's. I still remember a globe article from that era that called attention to a rash of historic buildings that were being demolished over a short period of time. A few buildings in the combat zone along Washington St., two buildings for Suffolk's law school, the building in question for a handful of parking spots for fidelity execs, a few more that i can no longer remember etc.... Anyway, I'm glad something is finally replacing that tiny parking lot after 20 or so years..

You are correct. The building was demolished in 1995....smack dab in the middle of the decade.

Does anyone have a street level photo of the building lying around?

BBJ has some tenant announcements and design changes for Congress Square posted today.
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...i-publicis-sapient-to-establish-joint-hq.html

Advertising giants DigitasLBi and Publicis.Sapient will occupy an expanded 40 Water Street as a joint world headquarters.

40 Water Street gets an expanded jewel box top now 7 floors.

picture.php

15 and 19 Congress Street will be residential.

68 Devonshire Street will become a boutique hotel.

40 Water Street gets an expanded jewel box top now 7 floors.

What was it originally? So it sounds like this will go a little bit higher than originally proposed? Not bad, they deserve the extra floors for the work they are putting in to save this historical block of structures.

What was it originally? So it sounds like this will go a little bit higher than originally proposed? Not bad, they deserve the extra floors for the work they are putting in to save this historical block of structures.

Original jewel box was 3 floors. New one almost doubles the size of the building, but I think looks fine. Sounds like they got a tenant interested in the design/location, but who wanted more space.

The Downtown Boston BID had a post on Facebook saying that the hotel would be a new "Hyatt Centric." That's been the only thing resembling a public announcement of this portion of the project.

I love that jewel box. Might that be a public space/bar/terrace/restaurant on the roof?

Back