Quaker Lane + Congress Square | Downtown

From today (11/10):

xPflSv0.jpg

Glass deliveries started this afternoon. Around 4 a truck with 8 panes arrived and about 8ish were already on site.

How do people feel about this? Im glad they kept the building but it seems like kind of a hack job. That may be too strong but I see no "flow" between both parts to make the whole complete. Who knows though it could turn out good. The church in southie turned out better than I thought because the glass is really really nice and most of the time looks like a separate building behind the church.

^--- I need to wait to see the finished product. Lots of these types of graft-ons in London; some look haphazard and without much thought, but others look really sharp. The renderings give me a lot of hope for this.

Ill trust you. Some angles rendered look pretty good some look like too much is going on but Im also going to wait until I can get eyes on the finished product to cast judgement. I've just never seen anything like this before so wasn't sure what other people think as well.

If this cap is already grabbing your attention, imagine what'll do when it's glassed in and lit up at night, or during the day with it's unusual angles and lines. I'm loving this whole addition, this whole project! Can't wait to see the finished product.

I hope this turns out better than it currently looks.

Why mess with this building beautiful architecture in the first place.

^--- I need to wait to see the finished product. Lots of these types of graft-ons in London; some look haphazard and without much thought, but others look really sharp. The renderings give me a lot of hope for this.

+1

This could go either way.

rrdkKvd.jpg

Why mess with this building beautiful architecture in the first place.

Because the alternative would have been to level the entire block!!! The design could have been better, but this saves a multitude of historical structures from the wrecking ball.

Because the alternative would have been to level the entire block!!! The design could have been better, but this saves a multitude of historical structures from the wrecking ball.

Why the wrecking ball? This structure should have been deemed historical structure.

I'm not crazy about the rendering looks like its going to ruin history trying to modernize the top.

I think the proportions throw it off. It they had done it Atlantic Wharf style it probably would have looked better, but still Ill hold off until its finished. That render above is just one side, theres all kinds of stuff going on here. To the very left on the top you can just make out what looks like even a spot with a bunch of randomly aligned stacked cubes. This may end up being named the kitchen sink building.

032515congSqRend.jpg

^---- Right, it's this view that gives me hope and makes me draw lots of London comparisons. If this were just the 5 additional floors plopped down on top as seen in Justin7's post, I'd be less enthusiastic.

Another 5 or 6 floors on the new corner tower, instead of being the same height as the older buildings, would have made it the exclamation point it should have been. A fine project and great example of repurposing and old/new blending.

The glass facade effect in the quoted picture looks different than some other renders I've seen...

CongressSquare_Web_01.jpg

Is there going to be glass between floors?

And when this was originally proposed, I think the addition was 2 or 3 floors shorter. I wonder if the extra height on this makes the proportions seem a little more off.

+1

This could go either way.

rrdkKvd.jpg

i don't know much about architecture. But my eyes tell me i don't care for this project. Adding height is fine -- but not this. i can't believe that something that clashes so much got through, and so many great proposals are in limbo.

i don't know much about architecture. But my eyes tell me i don't care for this project. Adding height is fine -- but not this. i can't believe that something that clashes so much got through, and so many great proposals are in limbo.

+1 Yeah...... I'm with you on this one.

i've seen a decent number of modifications/alterations that are, at least in general concept, similar to this in barcelona, london, paris and i'd definitely advocate for holding off judgement on this one until it's done. on average, i'd say these things wind up working surprisingly well.

Exactly thats why I said Im holding off judgement on this, because Ive never seen anything like this before. I have no way to know if these turn out better than the renders or not or renders dont do the finished product justice or anything like that, because I just havent seen something like this before. The renders do appear to clash like crazy but renders are usually angles youll never see. Im going to wait to see it in person and see what angles of this the pictures start rolling in from and go from there. You can already see in the pictures above where people like to capture this building from so Ill see how this looks from those angles once this is done.

Back