Quaker Lane + Congress Square | Downtown

There was probably no feasible way to do this, but a 600 ft version of 432 Park Ave would have been great. Demand wouldn't be an issue, and it certainly would have been less-intrusive and distracting from the actual buildings which are the true masterpieces.

From 1/11/18:

9HwPvOJ.jpg

This almost reads like two completely different buildings. By being so different from the beautiful century old building below it, and by keeping a respectful gap/set-back between the two, it's possible to think of them each as distinct and separate units. Like it's a new building that just happens to be built on top of another one, instead of next to it. With that in mind I will reserve judgment on this until it's complete. It just might work in the end. Possibly.

I agree with Poolio; it almost looks like a trick of perspective (from every perspective) that you can't see it go all the way to the ground. Like it's always behind the base building.

I will call it now ... in about 7 posts we will get a comment that complains about how they did a bait and switch with the glass color ... and how it is so dark now and blah blah blah ...

Hope it does not happen ... but

cca

I will call it now ... in about 7 posts we will get a comment that complains about how they did a bait and switch with the glass color ... and how it is so dark now and blah blah blah ...

Hope it does not happen ... but

cca

I don't mind the glass color, but I hate that spandrel. In general, I think spandrel should be dark because that's less stripey looking.

But, overall, I think this is a really exciting project for Boston, very smart and thoughtful for the reasons people are expressing above.

I don't mind the glass color, but I hate that spandrel. In general, I think spandrel should be dark because that's less stripey looking.

But, overall, I think this is a really exciting project for Boston, very smart and thoughtful for the reasons people are expressing above.

i thought i had a pretty clear understanding of what a spandrel was/is, but for the life of me i don't see any obvious spandrel on this.

edumacate me?

i thought i had a pretty clear understanding of what a spandrel was/is, but for the life of me i don't see any obvious spandrel on this.

edumacate me?

Its the lighter gray panels in which the glass is either backed by a colored panel, or the glass itself is opaque. It is done to hide the floor structure and beams and to help close off the floor edged around the perimeter. Designers have to choose a color and it causes an out proportioned amount of angst amongst the types of people who post on forums like archBOSTON.org.

cca

Its the lighter gray panels in which the glass is either backed by a colored panel, or the glass itself is opaque. It is done to hide the floor structure and beams and to help close off the floor edged around the perimeter. Designers have to choose a color and it causes an out proportioned amount of angst amongst the types of people who post on forums like archBOSTON.org.

cca

ah, ok. i thought spandrels were specific to arches. like this: http://blog.stephens.edu/arh101glossary/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Spandrel_PSF.png

It's better than the glass color for the nearby Winter Garden.... seaport green.

I can't wait to see this finished. Probably my favorite project going on in Boston at this time.

People will glance at it, look away and be startled, snap back, stare and exclaim, 'wtf is that?' and then try to figure out how they stacked an office park on top of an antique masterpiece.... and probably wonder who in their right mind would have ever suggested doing such a thing.

Balsy as fuck. There is some twisted part of my soul screaming out to like it.

It is not looking very "jewel box", as it was billed. More like a poorly assembled IKEA crate.

The striped spandrels completely kill this thing and are a total 180 from the "jewel box" renderings. They make it look like the building took off from Rt. 128 and landed in downtown Boston.

But I'm holding out hope for the ground level, that may be enough to redeem this project.

Back