Quincy Center Redevelopment

I am no expert on Quincy zoning regulations, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if that setback is required. Bad street levels are often the product of zoning rules, not the product of developer decisions in spite of them.

Maybe zoning requires the setback on this block? But the buildings on this site beforehand weren't setback. And while it's entirely possible that they were built before any setback requirements were implemented, this new(ish) one across the street doesn't have any such setbacks. I'm no expert either and I know it sometimes happens, but it seems odd that the setback would be required here and not across the street.

Anyone know what the construction project on Adams, just west of the John Adams house, is? Looks pretty big, but is right next to a bunch of nice spacious lots.

Some info on the development in North Quincy:

• 600 apartments
  • 45,000 sq ft of retail
  • Target confirmed tenant
  • 1,500 parking spaces, half for MBTA
I don't know how big the Target will be, but my guess is that it will be a small format, by their standards - a typical Target is more than double that 45,000 sq ft, and I got the impression that they won't be the only tenant.

Chestnut place wrapping up.

chestnut_place_feb.jpg

Bldup

Link

EP-180407835.jpg

Last edited:
Could be worse.

Nice to see the updates for Quincy Ctr. Thanks!

QUINCY — Plans are underway to replace a discount furniture store, Family Dollar and the vacant Arcade Building on the west side of Hancock Street with a pair of retail and residential developments up to 15 stories high.

They're going to have to have a reckoning about that section of Hancock St. soon. It's too small to have street parking anymore with all the new development and all the bus routes that go down it.

They're going to have to have a reckoning about that section of Hancock St. soon. It's too small to have street parking anymore with all the new development and all the bus routes that go down it.

So don’t have street parking there…..or as I call it “Private Storage on Public Property”.

Either relegate to side streets or build parking garages.

Either way don’t limit growth in order to preserve street parking.

I'm always gobsmacked when I see current photos of Hancock St. We used to go there constantly when I was a kid and still made visits even over the summer in college to go to Hobbytown. It's a complete transformation of that area and is very impressive.

Back