Quincy General Developments

Not sure why Quincy would do this without any activation around it. I would think a developer could do something like this. The blue area could be a garage (go below grade and above grade), the red outline could be ground floor activated commercial (IHOP, Urgent Care could be possible tenants?) The diagonal green line could be 5 or 6 stories and then the crosshatch could be up to 10 stories. This could be a great mix of uses. It could go all residential, or if it wanted to go real mixed-use the shorter portion could be small office spaces (maybe a Quincy WeWork?) with one 10 story section being residential and the other being a hotel. If a hotel isn't an option it could be possible apartment/condo mix.
Due to the proximity of T tracks to the roadway, I don't know if a sidewalk is possible along Burgin Parkway, but the building and garage façade could be treated architecturally to create a nice street wall and provide building access along the side streets. The intersections of Cliveden and could be redone to be similar to that of Hannon Parkway and then provide better pedestrian access to the TJMaxx shopping center.
1690396818029.png

Quincy has enough problems keeping businesses along Hancock st. as is (counted half empty this morning). The area needs more foot traffic. Build more dense residential, not parking.

Nonprofit proposes 34-unit building for 'extremely low-income' residents in Quincy
cc25a046-ed0e-48f5-a3bd-93cd2941fb1b-w1.JPG

“A nonprofit organization says it plans to tear down its recently updated rooming house on Winter Street and the house next door and replace them with 34 studio apartments for extremely low-income residents.

Caritas Communities, a Braintree-based nonprofit with more than 30 properties in Greater Boston, presented its project to the planning board. The homes at 46 and 50 Winter St. would be torn down and replaced with a single development.

Greg Rittchen, director of real estate assets for Caritas, said the 15 people who live in the rooming house would be relocated to other properties owned by Caritas or Neighborworks Housing Solutions, another nonprofit that owns affordable developments in the area.

The 15 residents would be given priority on moving into the new development after construction, he said, and then the organization would work with the Quincy Housing Authority on finding more tenants with housing vouchers….”

https://www.patriotledger.com/story...osed-for-quincy-ma-winter-street/70205923007/

So Quincy is about to eminent domain an active IHOP, Urgent care, and part of a public parking lot for a parking garage. I would link to the Patriot Ledger directly but it's paywalled. If anyone can purse more details out of it, that would be cool. Personally a 1000 car garage in Quincy feels off but that's based on my impression that it's a city on the Red Line and I don't seem to see anything from their political leaders in regard to the T despite dealing with the worst slow zones.
Would love to see the numbers on what it took to tear down the parking garage that was already there, build the bridge over the tracks, all the takings those required, plus these new ones, only to build another paring garage on the same footprint. Talk about a losing bet.

Quincy developer wants to demolish Totman street offices, build residential

70618654007-21-totman-future.png

“QUINCY − Developer Sean Galvin says he plans to build a four-story building with 32 condominiums in South Quincy.

Quincy-based Galvin Development Co. is scheduled to appear before the Quincy Zoning Board of Appeals on Tuesday, Aug. 22, seeking a variance to allow the project at 21 Totman St.

Construction is expected to last 18 months, according to the application. Galvin said he expects to begin before the end of the year.

If he obtains the required permits, he said he would demolish a two-story office building on the property, which Galvin owns and built in 2001.

The new building would sit on a .63-acre lot and hold 31 two-bedroom units and a one-bedroom unit. Underneath, a garage would provide 27 parking spaces, and an exterior surface lot would hold an additional 22 spaces, according to the application.”

https://www.patriotledger.com/story...pediatrics-greater-boston-smiles/70618136007/

Too much parking for being an 8 min walk to Quincy Adams, but build it! Quincy should be throwing money at this guy for replacing a now-vacant office park with housing.

Recent photo

Attachments

• IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 100
Two things to share, the first from today, the other is a few days old but I couldn't find discussion of it elsewhere. Sorry if I'm repeating from another thread.

I still think the garage is superfluous given how empty the other new municipal garage just around the corner is, but the development on the whole I'm excited for. That spot has been a dessert since as long as I've lived here, and it will hopefully make the new green space next door feel less out of place. Expanding the walkability west of Hancock street could make all those alleyway connections feel a lot more alive and better utilized as well.

This map infuriates me. I don't think I could have done a better job myself at drawing this map with such precision to make sure as little housing as possible actually gets built. The bus depot? Home depot? BJs? The BJ's gas station that is always packed? The old masonry site that's currently having a bank built on it? Literal traffic islands and the green space buffer for Crown Colony? What a joke. The best sites on here are current industrial uses that would be expensive and time consuming environmental remediation projects. Explicitly drawn to "protect a lot of our single-family homeowners that living in Res. A" and "maybe rezone some more of those areas into [single family only]. I'm going to bash my head against the wall. Allow the single family neighborhoods to grow incrementally and organically! I live in ward 4 and already sent my thoughts to Devine on this, hoping to hear a response but nothing yet.

Edit: Response! Going to meet with him about it in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Two things to share, the first from today, the other is a few days old but I couldn't find discussion of it elsewhere. Sorry if I'm repeating from another thread.

I still think the garage is superfluous given how empty the other new municipal garage just around the corner is, but the development on the whole I'm excited for. That spot has been a dessert since as long as I've lived here, and it will hopefully make the new green space next door feel less out of place. Expanding the walkability west of Hancock street could make all those alleyway connections feel a lot more alive and better utilized as well.

This map infuriates me. I don't think I could have done a better job myself at drawing this map with such precision to make sure as little housing as possible actually gets built. The bus depot? Home depot? BJs? The BJ's gas station that is always packed? The old masonry site that's currently having a bank built on it? Literal traffic islands and the green space buffer for Crown Colony? What a joke. The best sites on here are current industrial uses that would be expensive and time consuming environmental remediation projects. Explicitly drawn to "protect a lot of our single-family homeowners that living in Res. A" and "maybe rezone some more of those areas into [single family only]. I'm going to bash my head against the wall. Allow the single family neighborhoods to grow incrementally and organically! I live in ward 4 and already ripped into Devine on this, hoping to hear a response but nothing yet.

Pretty solid ground floor here:
1703009477602.jpeg

Housing in walking distance of the T... Can't think of anything else to like about this. Could it have turned out any worse? They could have put a stately park in front of the old hospital building but instead did parking and a dropoff area. The buildings could have had some relation to the street with modest setbacks and trees along the sidewalk. The parking could have been tucked away and wrapped with the buildings. This is beyond bad. To the many that hit "like" or "love", help me see a diamond in this massive turd, please.

When Trader Joe's could open in Quincy​

71149605007-screenshot-68.png

“QUINCY − A new Quincy Center grocery store, rumored to be a Trader Joe's, could open by the spring of 2025, the developer said.

D.J. MacKinnon, president of Atlantic Development, told city councilors during a Dec. 14 subcommittee meeting that he hopes to begin construction before the summer of 2024 and expects ground-level retail space, including a "specialty grocer," to open 12 to 18 months later.

Six stories with about 300 apartments would open in phases after that, MacKinnon said. The process would mirror a large-scale Atlantic Development project in North Quincy known as The Abby…”

https://www.patriotledger.com/story...elopment-ihop-parkingway-shapiro/71959630007/

Housing in walking distance of the T... Can't think of anything else to like about this. Could it have turned out any worse? They could have put a stately park in front of the old hospital building but instead did parking and a dropoff area. The buildings could have had some relation to the street with modest setbacks and trees along the sidewalk. The parking could have been tucked away and wrapped with the buildings. This is beyond bad. To the many that hit "like" or "love", help me see a diamond in this massive turd, please.

I thought the same thing about the front yard of the historic Administration Building. Not sure if having some kind of driveway was a Fire Department access thing, but regardless it seems like too much asphalt and that parking doesn't seem necessary. Also, less relevant but the way the pool patio buts right up to the back of the historic building seems a bit awkward.

But there does seem to be a lot to like. Pretty good density, which is not half bad considering it seems to be surrounded by single-family and/or 2-family neighborhoods. Also, the exterior building materials seem pretty decent (lots of brick). I haven't seen it at street level, but it does seem to be reasonably urban, with the buildings oriented close to the street, sidewalks, not buried behind a sea of parking, etc. Seems like it will have some decent green spaces and the historic building was preserved and incorporated into the development. For a suburban-ish development, I'd consider it a win.

Back