Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

Am I missing something? Looking at the new design a few pages back (on page 17), it looks like part of the DD is still incorporated at street level. Am I seeing something incorrectly? I agree with Jimbo Jones and think this new design looks pretty nice.

The design on p. 17 does include 2 sides of the Dot. That's not what the developer settled on, though. The BRA (again) sold out the city: neighbors freak out about height, developer offers salve in shortening height by 30 feet or so, neighbors happy, developer says reduced height demands he cut costs by killing off Dot entirely. BRA man from Hartford, CT, says he's very happy with deal and that the Dot is insignificant. No sign of new renders. Boston weeps.

Ah...thank you for the clarification. I liked what I thought were the new renders. That is indeed a piss-poor situation, as either of those designs would have been nice.

They would both be a lot nicer than what it appears we will be getting.

IMG_0309-1-1-1.jpg

Any news on this?

Looks like a nice place to have a block party. Anybody ever eat at chow chow city around the corner at 2 or 3 am?? It's easily the most disgusting food in Chinatown.

Oh, ow. Ouch. If they could combine the Essex St./Dainty Dot facade with the original sail-ish design, it would be awesome. I mean, Proposal of the Year awesome.

Oh, ow. Ouch. If they could combine the Essex St./Dainty Dot facade with the original sail-ish design, it would be awesome. I mean, Proposal of the Year awesome.

Kennedy -- I have to agree with you on this. Too bad the final approved design is such a dud.

L1110610.jpg

Are there any updates on this project? Looking at buying a condo in 88 Kingston Street (Lafayette Lofts). Thanks!

Haven't heard anything in a while.

Welcome to the forum. Where else are you looking to buy? Where are you moving from? (that is--if you don't mind me asking.)

I walk by the Dainty Dot on nearly a daily basis on my way to South Station...I wish they'd get started doing something. The building is in horrid condition and the apartments running adjacent to the building seem to be abandoned too.

At this point they may as well just convert the thing to lofts. Any plan for a luxury tower here is going to have a horrible time getting financed (which is probably why there has been no work).

not likely...the guy paid 9 million for the property and he's probably in another 500k with permitting...those numbers don't work for a renovation in 25k square foot warehouse.

Doesn't sound too crazy. If what I heard is true (maybe someone here would know) the building on Hanover St. w/the post office sold for 4 million. And we all know about the 300,000 parking spot. How does that work?

300k parking spot isn't a financial deal by a developer...it's a rich guy who wants to park another car behind his condo. Different motivating factors.

I believe DD drawings are to be issued this month, so design is still under way. Meaning even if it went full speed ahead at this point you would not see any work until sometime next year. Unless they get an early permit for infrastructure upgrades.

I cannot help feeling that the destruction of DD is a tipping point of some sort.

^^I agree to an extent. Obviously something needs to be done there. Maybe incorporating the existing facade into the design of the new tower somewhat...other than that the building is an underutilized waste of space and an eyesore.

Back