Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

The buildings in the West End are just "old", not unique. Our long range plan allows us to save the truly significant portions of Boston's history, while relegating the rest of the obsolescent cityscape to the dustbin of history, where it belongs. Join us! The West End can live on in pretty pictures!

</1955>

Is there a rendering of what has been approved. Maybe it's in the thread somewhere but I can't find it.

Is there a rendering of what has been approved. Maybe it's in the thread somewhere but I can't find it.

Page 17 has the last renders, but those include the dainty dot in the design.

L1070478.jpg

L1070485.jpg

Clouds change lighting.

^^ No need to kill her at all... She's a fine, sturdy building; and there's only a finite supply of them. The BRA would love to mow down the West End if we had to re-live it all over again.

daintydot.jpg

Also, an informative project summary in PDF form can be found HERE.

This goodlooking gal would have made a damn classy replacement!

Last edited:

^^ Dammit, just imagine how much less "Boston" the streetscene above will look without the DD facade.

Boston will still have hundreds of DD facades.

Oh, you mean Dainty Dot.

This goodlooking gal would have made a damn classy replacement!

This would have been the greatest building in the city. So to those nearby residents who actually put effort into killing this (seriously, why and for what?), enjoy living in the current filth that you call a neighborhood.

The Dainty Dot Building may not be truly unique, but it does both anchor and soften that corner very well. I appears that a lot of people have spent an inordinate amount of time and energy to disenfranchise themselves of the best proposal.

This would have been the greatest building in the city. So to those nearby residents who actually put effort into killing this (seriously, why and for what?), enjoy living in the current filth that you call a neighborhood.

Actually I believe that most of the residence were supporting this project and even said it was beautiful but wished that the building was a little shorter. They could have easily made a smaller version of this tower.

I'm doubtful there was ever any intention by the developer to move forward with the initial proposed design. Call me a cynic, but it seems a savvy move to propose something initially that is tall enough to draw ire from the neighbors, but preserves the dainty dot facade, only to see the height reduced, but the facade lost as a 'compromise'.

Even with an overall reduction in total square footage, the profit margin must be higher with the costs associated with facade preservation out of the picture.

The BRA and neighbors should have called his bluff.

It is odd how taking off a floor or two automatically results in a totally different -- and cheaper -- design. I don't know much about Ron, but financing and building a structure that is made of high-quality materials and isn't pre-cast is extremely expensive these days. Given that Ron's company is known to have developed two sites previous to this, and both of those in the mid-90s, who knows what sort of money he has. Maybe he never did intend to build anything but the cheap-o tower he's now planning. IF that's the case, this sure was one big act of deceit from the get-go.

And I don't think the BRA or most community groups in Boston are in the business of bartering with a developer to demand a higher-quality building that would actually raise their property values. First and foremost, "naturally," is height.

Regarding claims that this area is "filthy" and needs any kind of development it can get: That's a very dangerous line to toe.

The original 120 Kingston design was OK, but I'd personally make the argument that, living in New York, one quickly gets over the (comparatively cheap) new glass-wall mid-rises and finds much more charm in the more-permanent stone-masonry structures. That juxtaposition of new glass vs. old stone is found all over Manhattan, and a cleaned-up brick or stone building looks much better than its newer, glass-wall contemporaries -- and almost always has better retail. The swarm of banks and Duane Reades in New York certainly prefer the Modernist and contemporary buildings, and higher-end boutiques and cafes migrate toward the classier, older buildings IF they're cleaned up and well-maintained.

If the Dainty Dot building were taken care of and given a decent window treatment on the first floor, it'd be an infinitely classier joint than any all-glass tower that isn't built by Jean Nouvel at the cost of a small fortune. I could imagine a posh nightclub, decent restaurant or a nice boutique in there. A glass building might attract an H&M, Au Bon Pain or Dunkin Donuts. Of course, renovating the Dot wouldn't present as lucrative an opportunity for Ron, so who cares what the city gets...

In defense of the Dainty Dot: Yes, this building is somewhat unfortunately sited on the Greenway, but a mural or video screen on its back wall, or a cafe put in the awkwardly large park next to it, would enliven the public area as much as any new structure. I'd argue that the park's size and emptiness -- courtesy of Big Dig planners -- is a much greater drag on this (otherwise beautiful and successful) part of the Greenway than the Dot. Put a cafe in there!

A MUCH better way to make the Greenway nice would be to allow a sleek, 15-story all-glass building right here, in the cruddy parking lot across the street from the Dot and the Greenway park. THIS is the true eyesore of the area, not the Dainty Dot. Given the sign on the building, the lot may belong to Druker. Why doesn't he build some infill, maybe with a cafe on the first floor? That'd solve many more Greenway woes than the death of the Dot.

Last edited:

The original 120 Kingston design was OK, but I'd personally make the argument that, living in New York, one quickly gets over the (comparatively cheap) new glass-wall mid-rises and finds much more charm in the more-permanent stone-masonry structures. That juxtaposition of new glass vs. old stone is found all over Manhattan, and a cleaned-up brick or stone building looks much better than its newer, glass-wall contemporaries -- and almost always has better retail. The swarm of banks and Duane Reades in New York certainly prefer the Modernist and contemporary buildings, and higher-end boutiques and cafes migrate toward the classier, older buildings IF they're cleaned up and well-maintained.

Man speaks the truth.

No Range Rovers in the Dainty Dot neighborhood back in the old days.

72to92Essexst.jpg

L1070591.jpg

Wow.

Before that, you'd be in the ocean.

^ Why is there a highway sign on that street?

I don't pay much attention to signs, but I think it advises those who wish to take 93 North to line up left center. Or something like that. If you drop the hammer, it doesn't matter where you line up.

^haha. drop the hammer=eat 5 bucks in gas in 50 feet.

Yeah, and take 100 miles off the life of your rear tires each time.

Back