Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

I believe the Chinatown parks are included as part of the Greenway. It said so in a video of the Greenway project.

I wish these parks were more like the Chinese Garden in the Montreal Botanical Gardens. It has such a super mix of substantial architectural elements mixed with thoughtful plantings. If the current park were stronger, 120 Kingston would seem less overwhelming. Thank you for posting the renderings!

I wish these parks were more like the Chinese Garden in the Montreal Botanical Gardens. It has such a super mix of substantial architectural elements mixed with thoughtful plantings. If the current park were stronger, 120 Kingston would seem less overwhelming. Thank you for posting the renderings!

I agree as well. The large open space in that park makes is seems unfinished. They should put something there, maybe even a statue of Confucious or something to make it less empty.

from today's Globe. The contrast in attention given to preserving Dainty Dot and the absence of same for Shreve Crump is pretty amazing. Which is the better building, which currently contributes more to the streetscape, and which anchors a visual perspective?

Design panel approves plan for Dainty Dot site

Commissioners still harbor reservations

By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff | February 7, 2008
The Boston Civic Design Commission this week reluctantly approved a developer's controversial proposal for a 27-story residential tower over the old Dainty Dot building on the edge of Chinatown.

At the urging of the city's new director of planning, Kairos Shen, the five commissioners present at a meeting Tuesday night gave "conditional approval" to the condo project at Essex Street and the Surface Artery.

Shen had argued the project needed the commission's approval before it could move forward in the permitting process and further improvements could be made.

No further vote by the commission is required, but changes made by the developer, Ori Ron, in collaboration with Boston Redevelopment Authority planners, will be shown to the commission. Now, building plans call for about 180 units and some ground-floor retail space at the former Dainty Dot hosiery company site.

Many in the Chinatown and Leather District neighborhoods support the project, while some neighbors and other critics say it is too tall for the relatively low-rise Chinatown community and would impose too much on the adjacent Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway park. They also worry the new building would set a precedent for more towers in the area.

While voting as Shen recommended, some commissioners expressed reservations about aspects of the project, including its height, as well as the predicament they said the BRA put them in by pushing for their approval at this incomplete stage of development.

Appointed by the mayor, the 11 professionals on the commission assess the design quality of new developments and whether they fit well into existing neighborhoods. With the Dainty Dot proposal, the BRA was asking the commission - over strong objections from some neighbors - to approve a building that is three times the height allowed under the current 100-foot zoning.

"The present proposal is a series of compromises with a lot of pressures," said commission member Andrea Leers. "It should be a better project."

Critics say the Dainty Dot process epitomizes the problem with the approval process in Boston, where zoning regulations have built-in flexibility and where the BRA has discretion to determine height on a proposal-by-proposal basis.

"It's a sham," said Lawrence Rosenblum, a Leather District resident and critic of the project. "The BCDC has abdicated its responsibility to be a design reviewer for the city."

"The project . . . was basically recommended by the BRA," he said. With its vote, the commission "put it back in the hands of the very people who approved it in the first place, completely contrary to zoning."

On Jan. 8, following an emotional discussion of the project, the commission postponed its vote for a month. Member David Hacin said on Tuesday he remains concerned about the building's height, floors of above-ground parking, and the manner in which the 119-year-old building's facades would be incorporated into the base of a modern glass tower.

"For me, there are a couple of strikes against the project," he said, adding: "This is a very difficult position we're in."

Shen said the BRA would seek to eliminate some of the above-ground parking and reduce the proposed 150 parking spaces.

But Shen made no suggestion that the proposed glass tower would be reduced in height - the primary objection of opponents.

He defended the building's height, calling the site a "transitional" location between the Financial District, with its taller buildings, and Chinatown, where buildings are more modest in scale. Currently, the building is proposed to be 299 feet high, plus one level of rooftop mechanical equipment. It would be located across Essex Street from 37-floor State Street Financial Center, which is about 500 feet high.

Shen, Ron, and many in the Chinatown community argue that the project's advantages far outweigh its drawbacks. Those advantages include 47 affordable housing units on a nearby Chinatown site that Ron, of Hudson Group North America LLC, is subsidizing.

"We have been viewing those two projects in combination," Shen said. Some design commission members observed that that approach forced members to consider issues like economic feasibility and size - which are outside their normal design considerations.

Based on community comments, Ron has already reduced the building's footprint and height by two floors, removed most of the traffic from busy Essex Street, and added about 2,000 square feet to the adjacent Greenway park.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/02/07/design_panel_approves_plan_for_dainty_dot_site/

Stellarfun said: "The contrast in attention given to preserving Dainty Dot and the absence of same for Shreve Crump is pretty amazing. Which is the better building, which currently contributes more to the streetscape, and which anchors a visual perspective?"

Thank you for this insight; precisely why we need blogs such as this one.

"The present proposal is a series of compromises with a lot of pressures," said commission member Andrea Leers. "It should be a better project."

It was a better project until the NIMBY's got up in a tizzy. Now we get another generic glass box with an old facade at the bottom.

Shen said the BRA would seek to eliminate some of the above-ground parking and reduce the proposed 150 parking spaces.

He defended the building's height, calling the site a "transitional" location between the Financial District, with its taller buildings, and Chinatown, where buildings are more modest in scale.

Hmmm...I think I'm gonna like this design director. His arguments are actually logical!! Hopefully he won't be corrupted by the NIMBYs.

Maybe with this new BRA Planner we'll finally see some action to get rid of that UGLY parking structure on the other side of the Greenway

It needs a transition -- to the "Ash Bin of History" -- almost anything would be an improvement

Westy

Here, Density May Work

On Chinatown site's future, a clash over priorities

By Sam Allis
Globe Columnist / April 27, 2008

Nothing captures the conflicts in Chinatown today better than the saga of the old Dainty Dot Hosiery building at 120 Kingston St.
more stories like this

It's the one that, depending on perspective, is either on the edge of Chinatown or the front of the Rose Kennedy Greenway. The one whose application for historic landmark status was rejected last year by the Boston Landmarks Commission. The one preservationists crave to keep.

The one that Israeli developer Ori Ron plans to replace with a high-end condo maybe 26 stories high. The one that, Ron promises, will lead to 48 units of affordable housing he will pay for nearby.

At play here is the familiar calculus of old cities: the trading of density and height for affordable housing.

At issue are ineffables like neighborhood character against the realities of urban design, which to most smarties I know means serious density in the heart of a city.

"No project is all positive," says Sam Yoon, an at-large city councilor and an expert on housing and development in Chinatown from his years working for the Asian Community Development Corporation there. "We're not making new land in Boston. We can't stagnate. But the community was here first and should know very clearly the balance of the project."

It does. Yoon states the obvious here, yet refuses to take a stand on the Dainty Dot. "I'm not drafting a letter of support or opposition," he says. (I find this typical of him. Sam: show me some fortitude. Take a position. Either way, you'll get scars, but we're defined by our scars. That's politics.)

Ron, by all accounts, did his homework. He showed up at neighborhood meetings and has met with every community group in Chinatown he could find. "He knocked on every door," says Yoon.

The issue of height should be resolved in a few weeks through final negotiations with the Boston Redevelopment Authority. With that, says Ron, will come agreement on other issues as well. Still an open question, for example, is the fate of the street-level facade of Dainty Dot.

"I will yield to whatever the neighborhood consensus will be," vows Ron.

There's a lot of support for the project, from Mayor Menino to a roster of neighborhood organizations in Chinatown. Preservationists and other opponents, meanwhile, are livid. Stephanie Fan, a longtime activist who was born above her father's printing shop in Chinatown, fumes for all the obvious reasons.

"It's three times what it's zoned for," she says, referring to the 29 stories Ron first proposed. "That's what I find outrageous." She adds that her fight is less with Ron than the way the city blithely blows past zoning laws.

Fan and I eyeballed the Dainty Dot last week. She finds architectural merit I confess I'm unable to see. It's got some wonderful flourishes, but the Landmarks Commission got it right.

Fan, who now lives in Brookline, wears many hats, and one of them is a leading force behind the Chinese Historical Society of New England, a tiny outfit with a big name, located in a cramped office in the bowels of the China Trade Center on lower Boylston Street. (That is one of Boston's truly weird buildings.)

Fan and other volunteers labor on a shoestring to document and preserve the rich history of the neighborhood. It's not easy. Attention is elsewhere and old residents who carry important memories are dying.

Ron's tower will shatter the neighborhood skyline, no question about it. But then so did the John Hancock tower in Copley Square more than 30 years ago. It was opposed by an army of preservationists, most of whom later admitted they had been wrong. Still, that's thin gruel to those in the nearby Leather District who fear that someone else will put up a Ron-like structure in their midst.

This tower is a different animal - a Greenway structure rather than a Chinatown fixture. It will be a Greenway anchor, and its neighbors will be the likes of the State Street Financial Center. It will not be another office high-rise teeming with proles wearing ID badges, though, but rather pricey housing, full of people, families, and dogs.

The plot thickens. Developer Ron Druker owns a building that covers a small block directly west of the Dainty Dot.

He's got a couple of cool stores in it - Studio Verticale and Vessel - which gives Fan hope he just might keep the place funky.

Druker will wait to see what happens across the street before he does anything. It's safe to say he will build something, sometime. That's what developers do.

Dainty Dot opponents worry if the Ron project works, Druker will want a tower of his own. I wouldn't bet against it, but then Druker has a history of being sensitive to local concerns.

Chinatown is in play as never before. I see the Archstone Boston Common on Washington, where a 560-square-foot studio rental starts at $2,825, according to its website. There's the huge hole across the street where the Kensington Place, another big housing play, is supposed to go.

"Who was to know 150 years ago that we'd be sitting on prime real estate today?" asks Fan. Indeed. And for some, the damage to the sense of community is as steep as the price of land.

For better or worse - and I say better - density has gained purchase in this town.

There's good density and bad density. This one just might be OK.

Sam Allis can be reached at allis@globe.com

? Copyright 2008 Globe Newspaper Company.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/04/27/here_density_may_work/

I see the Archstone Boston Common on Washington, where a 560-square-foot studio rental starts at $2,825, according to its website.

Ok, THAT is the Manhattanization of Boston.

^^ That is outrageous.

The worst compromise imaginable

This is the absolute lowest in city politicking: The original plan called for a tall building with the Dainty Dot's walls at its base. The city wanted a shorter building. Developer agrees to the shorter building but for that will have to raze the Dainty Dot, which would be too expensive to maintain with the reduced number of units. NIGHTMARE SCENARIO.

"Our design team agrees," said Palmieri. "It was a 'facade-ectomy' anyway, an awkward looking development program."

And a wonderful job you did with Hartford, sir.

----------------------------------------------------------

Developer agrees to trim tower's size
Deal means demolition for noted Chinatown building

By Thomas C. Palmer Jr.
Globe Staff / May 7, 2008

A compromise reached between City Hall and developers of a planned 299-foot-tall residential tower in Chinatown will reduce the height by 34 feet, but means elimination of the revered Dainty Dot building on the site.
more stories like this

The planned glass tower near Essex Street and Surface Artery, proposed by developer Ori Ron, has split the Chinatown and neighboring Leather District communities.

Some residents object to having a building that tall in a neighborhood outside the Financial District and in close proximity to a new park on the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway. Others wanted all or part of the remaining portions of the 119-year-old Dainty Dot structure preserved.

And some, including influential Chinatown organizations, vigorously supported Ron's proposed building because it would bring life to the community and provide much-needed housing - including funding for 48 units of affordable residences to be built elsewhere in Chinatown.

The compromise, described last night to the Boston Design Review Commission, includes reducing the building's height to 265 feet, or about 4 1/2 floors, paring the number of residential condominiums from 180 to 147, and adding a new park on Oxford Street. But it also includes demolishing the Dainty Dot, once headquarters of a hosiery company and formerly known as the Auchmuty Building.

A portion of the ornate building was lopped off in the 1950s, when the elevated Central Artery was constructed, but Ron had originally planned to save all or most of the remaining structure.

David Seeley, a leading critic of the new building's proposed height and defender of the old Dainty Dot building, acknowledged that the height reduction is "a significant drop."

But, he said of the loss of the old building, "I think it's tragic. It's a beautiful building and by all rights would be a landmark if it hadn't already been previously damaged."

A spokesman for Ron said Mayor Thomas M. Menino helped to broker the compromise.

"We're happy," said Boston Redevelopment Authority director John Palmieri. "There may be a few critics, but overall we've improved the design program considerably and satisfied some of the more significant neighborhood issues."

Palmieri said parking floors will not be as prominent in the tower, and the number of spaces was reduced from 156 to 95.

Ron maintained he could not afford to pay the cost of saving the facade and also reduce the number of units in the building. "Our design team agrees," said Palmieri. "It was a 'facade-ectomy' anyway, an awkward looking development program."

Thomas C. Palmer Jr. can be reached at tpalmer@globe.com.

There it is folks...a 119 year old building is only worth 34 feet, or 4 1/2 stories.

How about protesting this? For all the complaining we do, why don't we try to organize some change?

From what I understand about this project, a large number of Chinatown residents wanted the building saved, right? If we stand by, they'll bulldoze this, SC&L, who knows what next ... and we get absolutely mediocre Modernist/PoMo in their place.

Ughbelievable.

This is nothing short of disgusting. An opportunity missed to preserve a beautiful building that would have helped this tower blend in! And for 34 feet off of an already tall building, is anyone really going to notice the difference? Is the additional 15 minutes of shadow worth not having the facade of a historical building? Why kill a win-win situation? Pure idiocy. I wish I agreed with people on this board who said things like this only happen in Boston. Sorrowful stories like are reserved for no particular geography. I'm going to go vomit now. 2 chunks for the dainty dot and 2 for the loss of needed units. ew, sorry.

This is dis-heartening, but with whom, besides the developer, was this 'compromise' reached? -- Sal DiMasi?

"Mission Accomplished!"

Let's not forget the original plan, way back when.... the light, curving, sail-evoking design - a real landmark and a real daring and original design.

Of course it was killed, and to maximize revenue a squat glass box will have to replace it.

To me, losing that original design is a lot sadder than losing the boring compromise tower with the facadectomy.

Agreed. This is the worst of all worlds. Compromise? Hah. People don't know their own self interest. The developer made out like a bandit: cheap to clear site; cheap to design; cheap to build; cheap to look at; cheap, bogus park. Who did the negotiations? Neville Chamberlain?

Last edited:

?Compromise is but the sacrifice of one right or good in the hope of retaining another--too often ending in the loss of both.? - Tryon Edwards

?Compromise used to mean that half a loaf was better than no bread. Among modern statesmen it really seems to mean that half a loaf is better than a whole loaf.? -G. K. Chesterton

Back