Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

the Sciences Library at Brown, yes. It was the largest Tetris game in the Western Hemisphere when it was done. It looks nothing like the Fed in person, but in that lighting, and from that angle, i see it. The entrance kind of mimics the open space between the lobby and the upper floors of the Fed.

I like the first design and the new design. I rather see the first design get built. The first design would have added something different and impressive to the high-rise scene.

The sage continues:
Concessions haven't ended fighting over 27-floor tower

By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff | December 27, 2007

Developer Ori Ron has made numerous concessions to the opponents of his proposed residential tower over the historic Dainty Dot building on the edge of Chinatown.

He simplified the design and reduced the area the building would occupy next to a new Greenway park. He contributed 2,000 additional square feet to the park and designed a 70-foot-long decorative "folded glass wall" for the outside of the ground floors.

He also promised to save two full sides of the ornate Dainty Dot structure, taking it down brick by brick and reassembling it, if possible.

But he has reduced the height of his proposed tower only by two floors, from 29 to 27. And, largely because he insists on a building that's more than 300 feet tall, he continues to encounter fierce opposition in Chinatown and the nearby Leather District.

Disputes over height are common in Boston, whose officials and residents have had a history in recent years of opposing towers. Bigger, taller buildings can create shadow, wind, and traffic issues. But lately, most notably with Mayor Thomas M. Menino's enthusiasm for a 1,000-foot tower at Winthrop Square, height seems to have lost some of its negative image.

To be sure, Ron's plan for the building, at 120 Kingston St. on the corner of Essex, has considerable support.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority said it received about 500 letters. Forty of them were in opposition to the project, though a review shows many of those supporting Ron's project were form letters.

The Dainty Dot controversy involves not only the Chinatown neighborhood, which is sensitive about being overrun by development, but also a new park on the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway that could have a 300-plus-foot wall next to it - more than three times as tall as the current 100-feet city zoning allows.

Menino has not been shy about siding with Dainty Dot opponents on the height issue. Recently asked about the 27-floor plan, the mayor said: "Too high."
But Boston Redevelopment Authority officials will decide how much Ron can build on the parcel he purchased in 2006 for $9 million. The BRA can either waive further review of the project, allowing Ron to go forward, or ask the developer to study alternatives to controversial aspects of the project, including its height.

Menino and BRA officials say he leaves them free to do what they think is best for the city.

Many organizations in Chinatown support Ron's current plan for the Dainty Dot tower, which would have about 170 condominium units and 150 parking spaces. Much of that support is connected to a 47-unit complex of low-income housing for Chinatown residents that would be built on nearby Oxford Street in connection with Ron's project; he would contribute the equivalent of $5.4 million toward its construction.

"I view both developments as immense benefits to the community that far outweigh any negatives," Gilbert Ho, a member of the neighborhood Impact Advisory Group, wrote in a comment letter. "This is a rare opportunity to develop scarce land in Chinatown and should not be delayed."

The Boston Chinatown Lions Club wrote that the two projects "create an abundance of opportunities to help Chinatown grow. . . . In addition, the building integrates well with the park in its proposed state."

Leather District resident Anthony J. Rossi added that "Concerns that such a development would 'open the floodgates' to a proliferation of future towers are unfounded."

The Leather District Neighborhood Association, however, voted to oppose the project.
"We certainly want development in our area," wrote Ogi and Polina Ogas, residents of Lincoln Plaza, across Surface Artery from the site, ". . . but the 350-plus-foot monstrosity will be a spike driven on the very skirt of our neighborhood."

One letter of opposition came from the Mayor's Central Artery Completion Task Force, which is trying to protect the Chinatown Greenway park from encroachment.

Also, the historic resources committee of the Boston Society of Architects, concerned about the Dainty Dot structure, wrote that "this historic building and park should not be casualties in an attempt to place more building on the site than it can support."

While differences within the Chinatown community are not uncommon, this one has heightened emotions. Bill Moy, comoderator of the Chinatown Neighborhood Council, said housing is the overriding issue. "To hell with Dainty Dot and historical preservation," he said. "It doesn't do anything about affordable housing."

Lydia Lowe, executive director of the Chinese Progressive Association, a community organization of individuals and families, said the Chinatown residential community is largely in favor of the affordable housing project. But, she said, "I think the community is being sold the Dainty Dot tower when there are other ways to get affordable housing built."

Ron said his building, which would be the same height as nearby 125 Summer St., fits in.

"Everybody is waiting to see how the BRA reacts to this," said Stephanie Fan, a Chinatown resident and member of the mayor's task force. "For me, it's really up to the BRA to honor the zoning code."
http://www.boston.com/business/glob...ns_havent_ended_fighting_over_27_floor_tower/

What legal ground does any one group have?
They can bitch and moan, but in the end, do they have any legal right to say what gets developed?

The rendering highlights the weakness of the park.

Those are neat renderings.

"Canyonization" of the Greenway is a lie, though ...

The area where 120 Kingston would be built is basically lanes and lanes of traffic; no "green" anywhere to be seen.

The perfect location for a high-rise tower.

Those are neat renderings.

"Canyonization" of the Greenway is a lie, though ...

The area where 120 Kingston would be built is basically lanes and lanes of traffic; no "green" anywhere to be seen.

The perfect location for a high-rise tower.

Absolutely!

If they went through with the "Canyonization" approach, I would be a very happy man.

Come to think of it, not one of those proposals are anywhere near the Greenway. The Greenway officially starts/ends just north of Dewey Sq.

Also, what are these proposals? Are any of them legit, or is this some sort of dream project?

Oh my god! Won't somebody think of the shadows?!?!?

There are people that want Boston to look like a major city, and others who want it to look like a suburb. Seriously...

Yes. NIMBY's should eliminate all shadows. So any tree over 10 ft, sorry you got to go. NIMBY's are idiots that should live in remote areas.

How can anyone complain about height and shadows with this location? There is a 500+ foot tower across the street, with another one a street or two over. Dumb.
Why is it the residents of Chinatown think they are owed something because of land freed up by the Big Dig? IMO, this area is ripe for development. Two major highways, close to downtown, the airport, good infrastructure. It's frustrating to watch this and the Hudson St parcel be reduced.

Why is it the residents of Chinatown think they are owed something because of land freed up by the Big Dig?

Because this is the historically Chinese neighborhood from the late 1800's onward. They were living here long before the Central Artery tore into their neighborhood, and now that it's gone, they are afraid of being displaced again.

They had little to no say when the highway came rolling through, stuck it out when the highway opened swallowing the area in traffic and were also stuck with Combat Zone on the other side. Now that these obstructions are finally gone, they want some protection that Muffy and Buffy, the bored empty nesters from Weston, don't completely destroy the rest of their neighborhood.

I'm not saying its right or wrong, it's just the usual urban gentrification scenario playing out here.

Some of the neighbors are "forward-looking", at least that's what I've gathered, over the years.

Muffy and Buffy

...are more likely to buy in someplace like Atelier in the South End. At least that's my experience from discussions with empty nester ex-suburbanites. Which raises the question: what's the profile of the buyer who wants to live in a Chinatown highrise?

Bos77 wrote:
"Because this is the historically Chinese neighborhood from the late 1800's onward. They were living here long before the Central Artery tore into their neighborhood, and now that it's gone, they are afraid of being displaced again."

This is my problem w/the Chinatown argument. "They were living here long before the Central Artery." Who are "they." Just because the ethnicity is the same, doesn't mean that "they" are the same people. The only argument against the building is "I can't afford to live there." What is that?

Again; this is NOT residential, nor was it at the time of the central artery! So how are people being displaced?

And as much as I appreciate the culture, heritage and history, Boston's Chinatown could use some an influx of development and investment. It's really nothing that special today.

Come to think of it, not one of those proposals are anywhere near the Greenway. The Greenway officially starts/ends just north of Dewey Sq.

Also, what are these proposals? Are any of them legit, or is this some sort of dream project?

I believe the Chinatown parks are included as part of the Greenway. It said so in a video of the Greenway project.

In the grand scheme of things, our Chinatown is about the same as NYC's, but can't hold a candle to others. What should Chinatown's role as a district play in towers like these?

No, NYCs Chinatown is a theme park, just run by the Chinese mod and not Disney. San Fran's Chinatown is pretty nice but about the same size as Bostons.

Back