Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

changes in height

I remember when Columbus Square was planned as one 12 story building

Why did residents force the developer to switch to masonry from a glass facade? I originally liked this proposal, but now that its been shortened, and materials and design have changed, I'm holding my breath.

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

This is the updated tower design as per the BRA website.
The new height is 320' to the top of the mechanicals.

12011cp3.png

120kingstontb1.png

120kingston5pe6.png

120kingston4ov7.png

120kingston3ct3.png

120kingston2bf0.png

1206lp4.png

1208th8.png

12010hz3.png

wow, NIMBYs apparently butchered a formerly stunning design and now we have this. typical

? I don't think many neighbors have had any input into the design. How did the original differ?

I think this looks awesome!

Rick, can you post the link to the BRA site? I want to put up some photos on my own blog, but don't want to steal your images.

<sigh> typical Boston. I'm happy to see more of the Dainty Dot on the streetlevel, and I do like the curve openeing the view to the south. But where the hell did the rest of the quasi biomorphic design go?

Is this residential, commercial, hotel... oh who cares, it's so boring it could be all 3.

I think it's really nice but the top leaves much to be desired. Hopefully Menino will come in and enforce a hat.

The old design was definitely better looking, but I don't mind this at all. It's still all glass, and it doesn't look bad at all. It definitely isn't going to win any awards, but it's still a good looking building.

Ugh. Public process run amok.

Looks like it just got off the train from Hartford.

Not every building has to be an ego-statement or win an award. This is a place-setter, which is not so bad a thing perhaps. I like that part of the Dainty Dot is preserved, though I admit I'm partial to the mix (the collision) of old and new. I always liked the Dot. (I'd take it over all the new designs.) The previous design was more adventurous certainly but it didn't evoke Boston (to my mind) any more than this design.

So this

120kingston3ct3.png

is going to replace this

CP_20071006_030-1.jpg

Good.

Also, can anyone explain the point of the stupid curved street?

120kingston5pe6.png

I like this design a lot, although I do think the first design was better. I like how it is like a semi-circle, it is better than like some square building that is usually built. I also agree with van, a hat would look spectacular on this.
Anyways, I feel much better about the new design than I thought we were gonna get from the negotiations between the neighborhood and the designers. Overall, I am liking this.

The curved street is just a connection between two streets that would otherwise interrupt the plaza - and contribute to the traffic mess on Surface Artery (note to Mayor: please change this name. Now.) It would be nice to get some interesting little curvy building inside the parabola there.

Anyway, I'm not too upset over the design fudge. It still works nicely at street level, even if any vista toward it will be vaguely Hartfordesque.

This looks a lot better then the last version, IMO, but they didn't have any renderings of the last version of the Greenway elevation, so I wouldn't know. This looks nice and fits great in that spot. It's a perfect blend of old and new, and has great modern design for Boston compared to other buildings. I love this new building, based on these renderings. Hope it gets built.

I hate that part of the park. It has no benches, practically no vegetation, and what little streetwall there is does nothing to contain the space. I won't go so far as to say it's as bad as City Hall plaza, but it's up there.

It looks unfinished. Is it?

Ya, that part of the sidewalk is odd. Why did they leave it soooo open? Was it maybe so street performers would have room to perform? Or they just didn't feel like spending money to add nice things in that area? I feel like it is the latter. lol

Back