Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

Reminds me of the One Ten in Providence. Maybe they can add a little "spire" on top.

110_tower.jpg

This is a real downer. The original design could have opened doors toward some acceptance innovative architecture. I wasn't that in love with the design, but if it had been pushed through in the face of reactionary NIMBY griping, it could have proven that contemporary design isn't doomed to always fail in Boston.

Instead, the new building looks like something out of a Norwood industrial park, or something along 128 in Burlington. I'd prefer the vacant lot to stick around until somebody with some force of will can push through a worthy design rather than the same old worst case scenario of compromise.

Here's two examples of innovative blending and improving upon an old structure: New York's Hearst Building (http://www.hearst.com/tower/artist/index.html?i=2) and the new home of the Hamburg Philharmonic (http://www.archnewsnow.com/features/images/Feature0223_03x.jpg). With Boston's huge number of old buildings, its need to expand and create new space, and its (correct) desire to preserve the old structures, this symbiosis of old and new seems ideally suited for the city. ... And yet we wind up with Rt. 128 in Chinatown time and again.

What is it about Boston NIMBYs (and pusillanimous city development boards) that compels them to force the least offensive lowest common denominator on everyone when outstanding architecture is always at their fingertips?

i dont think its that bad at all. its worst 2 sides are saved by the dainty dot which is all anyone will notice from street level anyway. if this ends up looking anything like the one ten it will be a success

Yes, it may work at street level, but street level is easy and at this point it should be a given that all development work there. Seeing this is a tower, it should work in its entirety.

When this project's last design was unveiled it was billed as the gateway to Boston's Greenway. This is how it should be judged.

This generic design looks lifted directly from an industry catalog. We really need to start demanding more from our architecture, especially in such prominent locations.

I dig it. I like the curve. 320' sounds decent too.

edit: The original on page 1 looks even better.

The new design is OK....

The old design would have broken the mold for Boston architecture. I think the general public would have loved it, it would have generated a buzz, and other buildings would copycat or follow suit and it would lead to more daring and bolder designs in the city. This is a big loss. But the new design isnt bad at the same time.

I never heard one neighbor complain about the design.

As far as I know, the redesign was the decision of the developer, it had nothing to do with the neighbors.

This is a real downer. The original design could have opened doors toward some acceptance innovative architecture. I wasn't that in love with the design, but if it had been pushed through in the face of reactionary NIMBY griping, it could have proven that contemporary design isn't doomed to always fail in Boston.

Instead, the new building looks like something out of a Norwood industrial park, or something along 128 in Burlington. I'd prefer the vacant lot to stick around until somebody with some force of will can push through a worthy design rather than the same old worst case scenario of compromise.

Here's two examples of innovative blending and improving upon an old structure: New York's Hearst Building (http://www.hearst.com/tower/artist/index.html?i=2) and the new home of the Hamburg Philharmonic (http://www.archnewsnow.com/features/images/Feature0223_03x.jpg). With Boston's huge number of old buildings, its need to expand and create new space, and its (correct) desire to preserve the old structures, this symbiosis of old and new seems ideally suited for the city. ... And yet we wind up with Rt. 128 in Chinatown time and again.

What is it about Boston NIMBYs (and pusillanimous city development boards) that compels them to force the least offensive lowest common denominator on everyone when outstanding architecture is always at their fingertips?

I think the initial design was more striking and iconic; BUT, this is after all a residential building, and if I'm buying a condo there, I'd be quite interested in potential long-term maintenance and upkeep issues with a cutting edge design. Spare me the cutting edge if its going to cost me a $70,000 to $400,000 special assessment for repairs (as is currently the case of Harbor Towers condo owners) down the road.

As for Hearst, I don't think its comparable. The original Hearst building that serves as the plinth is far better and more muscular than the Dainty Dot. I think the better comparison is between Hearst and whatever finally rises from the preserved facades of Russia Wharf.

As for Hamburg, it looks to be a great building, made great in part by its setting. The preserved dock warehouse serves as an admirable base, but as a structure, it is not old. I'm quite sure that very little of the Hamburg docks survived the bombing raids of WWII, and this building strikes me as having been built in the late 50's or 1960's. I had thought the design was post-war until trying to find images of the Hamburg docks prior to the bombing, I found this. Eerily similar to the design of the dock warehouse which forms the base of the new Philharmonic hall.

Flakbunker_IV_Hamburg_Heiligengeistfeld_002.jpg

The new Philharmonic Hall (on top):
FRA80104111136_ms.jpeg

In the top image, the building is a flak tower.

never heard one neighbor complain about the design.

As far as I know, the redesign was the decision of the developer, it had nothing to do with the neighbors.

If you scroll back to page 16 in this thread and read the newspaper articles, you will read that Leather District and Chinatown residents, along with other preservationist groups, did indeed, have much to do with the design change. The developer started with plans for a beautiful building but he saw the writing on the wall and sacrificed his original beauty for a fairly nice compromise. Another thing, as is with all almost things planned in Boston, this original thread started a year and a half ago...and not one single brick from this mess of a building has been removed. How much longer before even that happens is anyone's guess.

In the top image, the building is a flak tower.

Nevertheless, Boston could learn a lot from Hamburg. In addition to this building, the giant "Hafen City" development is an excellent parallel to the S.B. Seaport - well, the Seaport done a little more intelligently:

http://www.hafencity.com/index.php?set_language=en

z_en_artikel_43_Ueberseequartier__TBB.jpg

/\ I've seen that before!

473163724_ec855a82cc.jpg

Now this is something that would never fly in Boston.

True. If we can't have innovative architecture in a warehouse district that's 3/4ths parking lot, we won't have it anywhere (except MIT property, I guess).

Can you imagine if Jean Nouvel had proposed something like his new MoMA tower in an equivalent location, like a block from Newbury Street?

The thing is architects know what kind of resistance they will face in Boston so they don't even try. That is what NIMBYs don't seem to understand. They want to live in some perfect Victorian time that never really existed.

Sweet jesus, what happened here? The first renderings were so elegant looking...what the crap is this?

The thing is architects know what kind of resistance they will face in Boston so they don't even try.

That is so sad, and in my eyes such a pathetic cop-out by architects and developers. Yet there is truth to it. I was in Chicago for the first time a few weeks ago, and the amount of civic pride centered on architecture and design was so amazing, and quite refreshing. Even when they have a bad building, they are smart enough to spin it, and at the least say they tried something new. We don't even have that luxury.

^^That looks like a mini Federal Reserve Tower.

^^ Brown University?

It's one of their libraries; for the medical school I believe.

Back