Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

290ft 26-Story

Time to start tearing down some of those ugly ass redbrick buildings across the street.

This project had its first concrete pour a few days ago. The core is now covered in tarps as the concrete cures. Also, they've begun pouring the foundation in the far corner of the site where Essex Street meets the Greenway.

The portable crane is offsite, so I don't know what to make about that. Also, I still can't figure out where the tower crane is going to be installed. If anybody has any insight, I would appreciate it.

picture.php

The real abomination is the garage across the Greenway. Was what was there before demolished in the course of constructing the Central Artery?

As garages go, we could of done a lot worse. (This is me searching for a silver lining). I don't remember when it went up, but I think it's been since CA/T.

It reminds me of the Port Authority Bus Terminal, but fortunately not quite as bad.

Do you mean the garage on the north side of Beach Street, just east of the Central Artery? That long predates the Big Dig. I'd guess it was built in the 1950s when this part of the Artery Tunnel was built.

The businesses that it contains are part of Chinatown, despite its location on the wrong side of the highway.

Used to park in that garage....shadiest operation I ever encountered. It's definitely from the 60's or earlier and not in good shape at all. There is/was a Chinese grocery on the ground floor.

The real abomination is the garage across the Greenway. Was what was there before demolished in the course of constructing the Central Artery?

At least as old as I am, so 30+. I don't understand the hate though. As long as you're going to have parking garages, you can at least have some ground floor retail and put it in more than a concrete above ground bunker.

It was more fab 50's, swinging 60's before they took out the blue panels and gave it an "update".

^ that form is beautiful! the colors of it make me wish it could be the cladding for some building.

Seriously, the ghost of Mies needs to visit anyone designing a building in Boston in his/her sleep and let them know how much better half these things look under construction than as finished products.

I actually think the scale of this is perfect for the location. Design is better than the taller post-modern crap next to it.

I've always liked that garage. Along with the motor mart, it's one of the few in this city that is actually interesting to the eye. I wouldn't advise parking in it, though -- it's a pretty crazy layout.

Back