Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

For some time in the 1970s and 80s, that garage building contained a Chinese cinema. That space has now become a restaurant.

8369712256_b02e10858c_b.jpg

Walked by this site on Saturday (1/14). Workers looked to be wrapping the core in some sort of insulating plastic. I'm sure this is part of a larger plan to protect the core work from winter weather, however the look of the plastic did give me a little bit of Filene's redux.

One question I have for the construction experts on this board...it appears that the workers were wrapping both the core climbing mechanism and the base of the core, which has already cured. I can see wrapping the climbing mechanism because that is an area where concrete is actively curing. However, why would they wrap concrete that has already cured? And as the core climbs, will they need to wrap each completed level of the core.

FYI...still no sign of the crane pad/foundation.
picture.php

One question I have for the construction experts on this board...it appears that the workers were wrapping both the core climbing mechanism and the base of the core, which has already cured.

That concrete will cure for weeks.
If the design calls for (as an example) 3/4" 4500 PSI concrete it means concrete with 3/4" stone in it that will not break at less than 4500 pounds per square inch of pressure after 28 days of curing. So they take cylinders of the concrete being poured now and send those samples to a lab to see what PSI they break at 28 days from now. Better be more than 4500 or the owner could make the contractor take it down and start over.
All that said, I don't know why they're wrapping the core here but they didn't wrap it at Waterside Place.

That concrete will cure for weeks.
If the design calls for (as an example) 3/4" 4500 PSI concrete it means concrete with 3/4" stone in it that will not break at less than 4500 pounds per square inch of pressure after 28 days of curing. So they take cylinders of the concrete being poured now and send those samples to a lab to see what PSI they break at 28 days from now. Better be more than 4500 or the owner could make the contractor take it down and start over.
All that said, I don't know why they're wrapping the core here but they didn't wrap it at Waterside Place.

Thanks for your help.....am I to understand that additional floors can be built on top of the concrete, even as it cures?

Thanks for your help.....am I to understand that additional floors can be built on top of the concrete, even as it cures?

Yes and the goal of the wrapping is to prevent moisture from penetrating the curing concrete because if the moisture freezes, it can crack the concrete and therefore compromise the entire structural integrity of the concrete.

Yep. It will achieve >90% of its strength in the first 72 hours or so and then slowly continue to harden. There are also chemical accelerators that can cause it to cure faster (though they're not cheap).
Interestingly though, the slower concrete cures the more thoroughly (harder) it cures. That's why you'll sometimes see wet blankets placed over a structural slab (this is called "wet cure").

This really puts into perspective how slow the Prudential project has ben going -- this went from whole building to "time to watch closely" in six months!

I drove past this site last night and was unable to take pictures in the dark.

However, it looks like the core has jumped some more (approaching 11 stories), and yes, finally, we have a crane sighting. The crane base has been installed on the south side of the site, where the Greenway and Kingston street come together.

Walking past today:

vWHy28e.jpg

FYI...according to the city permit database, crane goes up this weekend. Kingston Street closed for installation starting today.

3 120 Kingston ST Downtown / Financial Distric MA 02111 OCCU-215015 1/24/2013 13:50 SHAUGHNESSY AMQUIP LLC Cranes 521223 Y 311 Stand 550t Crane* in Street // Street Closed 200'x13' // Friday-*Assemble Crane // Sat & Sun Erect Tower Crane // Disassemble 550T Crane

From this morning
PlqqYw5.jpg

Awesome picture Boston 02124. We have a bit of a boom going on here?

This shot taken Sunday morning 1/27.
Question, At most sites the cranes are very close or attached to the core. At this site the crane is in the SW corner about 50 feet from the core. Why? The only reason I can think of is that they need to stay clear of the State Street Building.

120 Kingston 1:27

^^^^ Yes.

Back