Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

Re: New hotel tower Triunity Place near Copley Sq.

The NIMBYs will go nuts on this one. I'm even having a bit of a mixed reaction, although mostly because I've attended a number of meetings in the building, and really enjoyed some of the space. There is a beautiful solarium/indoor porch that is the sort of place I've always thought I'd want when I join the 0.1% and have my mansion. It's the sort of thing that doesn't happen in new construction. On the other hand, much of the rest of the building is old, dated, and run down. And it doesn't do much to bring life to that corner, whereas a condo/hotel tower will.

Interestingly, if this gets built, along with Copley place, and if a version of Columbus place eventually happens, and throwing in Liberty Mutual, the Stuart st. corridor will start to actually look a bit like the Manhattan that so many NIMBYs fear. That's a lot of towers fairly densely packed. Combine that with the straight, wide, one way streets, and we have Manhattanization. Oh noes!

I for one, look forward to that day. Not all of downtown should look like Manhattan, but a few areas are ripe for it, and this is one of them.

Henry -- more like Singapore with the tropical veg - aka Kevin White's original "High Spine"
If I had a bunch of $ and some pull -- I'd build attop the JH Parking Garage --that's the place for another nice slim tower -- such a development ought to be able to support decking that small triangle of the Pike between Clarendon and Columbus and building some low rises on the land along Stanhope and a small Park-ette on the deck

I'm not sure it's worth keeping. I never felt the building provided much of a street level experience. Just always seems like people were walking past this building instead of walking to it. Maybe that's because the garage entrance is right there or because it's primary ground-floor use is a members-only club, but I don't think I'll miss it.

But you'll agree the likelihood of whatever succeeding it improving the situation is slim?
Think either large glass walls with one main entrance (The W) or just precast panels in place of what is now real stone and brick.

^Stat, yes, that's a fair point. Seems most hotels these days like to funnel everyone through the lobby even if they do have a "destination" club/lounge/restaurant (I'm thinking of the W, Westin Seaport, even the Liberty). So you're probably right - one main entrance flanked by two doorman and interminable curtain-wall.
But if there's more people coming and going, that will be a plus...

This site doesn't have anywhere near as much street frontage as the W or Intercontinental, so even if the hotel had only one entrance it wouldn't create that much of a dead zone. Throw in one retail entrance at the corner and I'd consider the block enlivened enough to forget all about the boring brick and stone that sits there today.

this is great news....awesome to see so many projects ramping up

The article implies something that I don't know if is true: it says the University Club is located next to the convention center / hotel. That implies that it's a separate building (it does have as separate entrance) but it isn't, right? When they tear down the hotel, the University Club will be torn down, too, I assume?

I agree, it's a nice looking building on the outside. Inside, it has seen better days, at least the conference rooms.

Re: the Hancock parking garage. My understanding is that this is a cash cow and basically was the only reason last year's sale took place. They got an office tower for $900 million and a parking garage for free.

I'd miss the old building but it's always given me a sort of ersatz colonial revival belongs-in-Dubuque vibe anyway. It might look way better if an adroitly-executed facadectomy is employed. I trust the NIMBYs will see to that...

Henry -- more like Singapore with the tropical veg - aka Kevin White's original "High Spine"
If I had a bunch of $ and some pull -- I'd build attop the JH Parking Garage --that's the place for another nice slim tower -- such a development ought to be able to support decking that small triangle of the Pike between Clarendon and Columbus and building some low rises on the land along Stanhope and a small Park-ette on the deck

I'd like to see that happen, and why not put a tower above back bay station, too? Then there is the parking lot on the corner of Columbus and Berkeley (directly opposite Liberty Mutual). That would make for a cool condo tower because the lot has an unusual shape.

Re: the Hancock parking garage. My understanding is that this is a cash cow and basically was the only reason last year's sale took place. They got an office tower for $900 million and a parking garage for free.

Just curious how many parking spaces under Hancock and Pru?
I couldnt find that information on Google.

Parking spaces in the city are Priceless.

Other than the Lenox, there's nothing in Saunders' portfolio that indicates capabilities beyond the rest stop motel sort of place.

The Park Plaza and Copley Square hotels are, or were, also Saunders properties.

The Park Plaza and Copley Square hotels are, or were, also Saunders properties.

Saunders wasn't the builder/developer though and the fact remains, all of their new-builds have been of the rest stop motel variety. I also wouldn't point to those establishments as something this project should seek to emulate.

Re: New hotel tower Trinity Place near Copley Sq.

I think that the Lenox strives to be pretty "green". It would be interesting to see if they propose a hyper-efficient zero net consumption sort of project. There have been some very cool ones in NYC Battery Park, SE Asia, and elsewhere.

Just curious how many parking spaces under Hancock and Pru?
I couldnt find that information on Google.

Parking spaces in the city are Priceless.

2,768 underneath the Pru - Daily rate = $39.
830 under Copley Place - Daily rate = $35.

2,768 underneath the Pru - Daily rate = $39.
830 under Copley Place - Daily rate = $35.

Pru 2,768 Parking Spots at $39.00 a day =$107,952.00 at 100% capacity
365 days is $39,402,480 per year.

Copley Place 830 Parking spots at $35.00 a day $29,050.00 at 100% capacity. 365 days is $10,603,250 per year.

Parking is a very profitable business in the city.

I've proposed elsewhere on this site an excise tax on above-grade parking revenue, to be levied on a sliding scale depending on proximity to transit (exceptions to be made for garages around park-and-ride stations). Tax revenue to be used solely for transit.

This is awesome news indeed. It seems like it is the victim of old age and it is time to cremate the building and give birth to a new building. I would like to see something that is modern without being over the top, ie
Gehry%20Skyscraper.jpg

This building by Gehry would be a standout. I think that obviously it would have to be scaled down, but the area needs to branch out and not follow such similar building designs.

Another tax. That's a real creative solution.

Building don't die of old age, merely neglect.

Pru 2,768 Parking Spots at $39.00 a day =$107,952.00 at 100% capacity
365 days is $39,402,480 per year.

Copley Place 830 Parking spots at $35.00 a day $29,050.00 at 100% capacity. 365 days is $10,603,250 per year.

Parking is a very profitable business in the city.

How often are those garages at full capacity?

What about the people who don't park for a full day? They pay less, right?

Back