Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

Re: New hotel tower Trinity Place near Copley Sq.

In theory that sounds great, BB, but at least with Hearst the base had some pizzazz. This one is solemn to a fault, and I imagine wouldn't inspire CBT or whoever to design anything better than what we normally get from those guys. But that's just cynical old me being cynical.

^^ I agree that the base is a bit "Boston Bleak," but the details are nicely crafted, and certainly better than anything they'd be replaced with today. The base of Hearst is exuberant by comparison, so Foster's highly rational diagrid tower "feels" like an appropriate addition, even if its overall design isn't to everyone's taste (its exuberance is in its engineering).

The real problem with my suggestion is that a hotel developer is unlikely to be interested in funding a facadectomy-cum-tower, and even if they were, the tower would be craftless dreck.

File Under: Wait and see...

From Representative Rushing's office. I don't know the deadline for applying.

Are you interested in serving on an IAG for the proposed 40 Trinity Place/426 Stuart Street development?

Trinity Stuart LLC has informed the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) of its intent to develop the 40 Trinity Place/426 Stuart Street property in the South End. Their description of the project is:

The Project will involve the construction of an approximately 33-story building
containing approximately 220 hotel rooms, approximately 142 residential units, approximately 100 parking spaces, potential replacement/expansion space for the University Club, and ground-floor retail/restaurant space. The Project will entail the demolition of the existing building at 40 Trinity Place and will cantilever over the adjacent University Club property.

The BRA Board has adopted a policy of mitigation by development projects in
Boston which includes the Mayor appointing an Impact Advisory Group (IAG) to
assist in the evaluation of a project's impact on the surrounding area.

An IAG may include as many as 15 members, a majority of whom must be residents, business owners or designees of community organizations in the affected area. IAGs may also include two members nominated by each of the elected officials (city councilor, state senator and state representative) in whose districts the project is located.

I therefore may make two nominations for appointment by the Mayor to the IAG for this project.

Please let me know if you are interested in serving. If so please send me two sentences or so as to your reasons why and I will consider you for one of my nominations.

State Representative Byron Rushing
Majority Whip
State House Room 235
Boston, MA 02133
p 617 722 2783

d488f6_103012trinity.jpg

Developers detail Back Bay hotel, condo tower project
By Greg Turne

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Hub development team today unveiled plans for a 33-story hotel and residential tower in the Back Bay.

The 40 Trinity Place project by Saunders Hotel Group and partner Jordan Warshaw will feature a four-star hotel with 220 rooms with “neighborhood-focused” restaurants, conference and meeting facilities, and a health and fitness center.

The residential portion will include 142 units with “modern finishes, extensive amenities, hotel services and dramatic city views.” Units will range in size from “compact” studios to “more spacious” two- and three-bedroom homes.

The project was submitted yesterday for review by the Boston Redevelopment Authority. The developers previously sketched out their plans in a letter to the BRA sent in early September.

“We look forward to working with the city and the community to bring an exciting new locally owned and operated hotel and residences to the heart of the Back Bay,” said Gary Saunders, chairman of the Saunders Hotel Group.

The developers will tear down the existing structure on the site, the eight-story Boston Common Hotel & Conference Center, at the corner of Stuart Street across from the John Hancock Tower.

Construction on the tower is scheduled to start next fall. The builder is Suffolk Construction.

The project includes expansion space for the University Club, a private social and athletic club that’s been in an adjacent building since 1928.

“Having a stunning new hotel in the heart of one of our historic districts will bring even more visitors from all over the world to the City of Boston,” Mayor Thomas M. Menino said in a statement today. “This 33-story, environmentally friendly building will be a wonderful addition to the Back Bay and I salute the efforts of Jordan Warshaw, Gary Saunders, and Jeffrey Saunders to make it a reality.”

The project will create about 700 construction jobs and 300 permanent jobs.

Good Lord! Millennium Place and 33 Arch have mated!

Three notable/interesting things from the PNF to me:

(1) The altancitc wharf roof screen is actually split and inverted on the other side of the tower

(2) Service and parking are thankfully oriented to the dead end Trinity Place

(3) There is a proposed restaurant on the 17th floor looking (primarily) south over the garage.

It says it will be approximately 400' but certainly looks to be on the short end of that. At the end of the day we are going to just be getting a newer version of the Westin and Marriott hotels that are already in Back Bay. Sadly, it will still be better than 75% of our new buildings.

Some of the renders in the PNF are getting me really excited... for Copley Place. Not as much for this, but we've had worse. Especially if this isn't value engineered to hell and back.

Meh. It looks like so many of the two dozen or so comparable condos going up here in Toronto, and elsewhere. It'll add a bit to the area and probably piss off some uppity Back-Bayers. So, I'm not opposed. Hopefully, in a few years, it won't stand out as much and will fade more into the background.

And given the prices of hotels in the city, a new one is never a bad thing.

This looks pretty decent. Nothing too special, and nothing too bad. Nice seeing the Coply Place tower included in the renders.

They throw in Copley Place tower but magically the Liberty Mutual building is hidden behind the Hancock.

new_view.png

40_trinity_place.png

Come-on guys! This is a bonaza going down here and all I read is nick picking!....I've been following this forum before it was THIS forum and Boston has never boomed like this before!....a 400' tower is going up across the street from a 600' one?...in Back Bay? and we're not all jumping up and down?....life is good and Boston is the Best just getting better.

Come-on guys! This is a bonaza going down here and all I read is nick picking!....I've been following this forum before it was THIS forum and Boston has never boomed like this before!....a 400' tower is going up across the street from a 600' one?...in Back Bay? and we're not all jumping up and down?....life is good and Boston is the Best just getting better.

You mean back when it was skyscraperguy? I remember that site (I happened to be a lurker for years before I signed up).

This building really doesn't look 400'. It's barely taller than the Clarendon and that's 336'. I am mostly worried that the design is a little too clunky, and that the materials will not be up to par.

It has good proportions relative to its height. The design isnt overly bland which is good, but its still low-rent. Everybody has seen this design go up somewhere for the last 15 years. In comparison to other projects in the city its very good.
Pdoc, no one's going crazy because of the unimaginative and there's no height. This whole boom as you say has gone on and we have one decently tall project in the works? Its weak. Not everything has to be tall but we could use a new beacon.

@DZH22, yes Skyscraper-guy! Is he on here now?....boy did he get the bum's rush! The dial-up days if I remember!
I bet Trinity Place (like the name too)will be 400' and yes it's been done before in other cities and that's just fine. Boston has everyone else, save maybe San Francisco, beat down! Boston has an elegance not found outside Europe. She has a size and scope that makes it livable and human. Some of the finest suburbs in the world surround it and in the core even at it's worst, it isn't that bad at all (drive thru Brooklyn or Newark).
In two years we will all marvel at today's headlines and remember a time when the Hancock stood alone!...

it's great that Boston is undergoing a tall building boom, but i must admit i didn't think this hotel proposal was actually legit. i feel as though boston doesn't need this much hotel space.

I like it. The top isn't flat and I would say it's better than the Millennium Place Towers. It does need to be taller though but that's unlikely. If Columbus Center ever restarts, this area would have a nice cluster.

That rendering is hideous. Outdated styling that would be at home in the late '90s / early '00s

Back