Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

Re: New hotel tower Trinity Place near Copley Sq.

We need the geniuses at MIT to come up with that kind of tree.

They could call it an "evergreen".

Just build them from plastic :)

Nah, needs a fancier name.

They're going to be green all year, it 'll look fake, like a con. Plastic won't be good enough to make them out of, we need something stronger like steel, or some other ferrous metal. Con-ferrous trees. Coniferous trees. That sounds better.

Will you guys please stop coning around in this thread. I pine for the days when joking around wasn't so poplar.

OK, I'll bough out before the thread gets hemlocked.

You all really need to spruce this thread up a bit!

You all really need to spruce this thread up a bit!

Common -- you folks have got to realize that the acorn which never falls far from the Oak is the Apple of the poster's eye -- so just stop being Ash-holes and hijacking all the threads

NIMBYs delay vote because they don't want their condo views blocked: http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...-bra-agenda/wW30bDoudH3UNFoqH0AuzH/story.html

A proposal to build a 33-story hotel and condominium tower in the Back Bay was abruptly pulled from the Boston Redevelopment Authority’s agenda Tuesday amid persistent complaints from neighbors about the project’s impact on wind and traffic.

Developer Trinity Stuart LLC requested that a planned board vote on 40 Trinity Place be postponed because it was not advertised long enough in advance of Thursday’s BRA meeting. The mix-up could have given additional legal ammunition to neighbors who continue to object to the proposal.

A Trinity Stuart executive asserted Tuesday night that the project — which would rise near the Hancock Tower — has generated significant support among city residents, but continues to draw opposition from condominium owners who live in an adjacent building.

Sounds like they didn't advertise it long enough, so I'm ok with more of a public process. Gotta do things the right way even if you give the NIMBYs more time.

Favorite quote:
Neighbors said they are not opposed to a major redevelopment of the site, but that the developer is trying to build too densely. “The size of the building they have proposed is so over the top,” said Tom Iannotti, a condo owner at the neighboring Clarendon Residences. “The developer and the BRA are so determined to rush the project that they are not taking the time to look at the implications.”

Guess how many floors The Clarendon has?

Favorite quote:

Comments like that are what drive me over the top. It's the classic "I got mine but don't want you to get yours" mentality which I think 95% of NIMBYs have.

Wonder if Tom Iannotti of the Clarendon was so concerned about the wind/traffic/shadows/density/size/views impact that his new home building had on the immediate surrounding neighborhood built just a few years before? I'd be embarrassed to have my name printed in the paper with these concerns if I were he!

I'd be embarrassed to have my name printed in the paper with these concerns if I were he!

He should be. But hey, his Facebook photo has Jeno Leno in it!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/tom.iannotti?fref=ts

If this hotel goes up, it's going to block his view of snowfall in the Back Bay.

This guy looks exactly like the kind of tool that I would have imagined saying that.

^^^ type001

A personal attack seems out of line in a public forum. More generally, IMO, citing NIMBYism adds nothing to the dialog regarding the actual proposal. I'm surprised there isn't more discussion in the Globe about architecture, street level, etc. Boston deserves better.

^Those are fair criticisms of any project. But complaining a 33 story residential building is an unfair burden on your 2 year old 33 story residential tower is straight NIMBYism. Say that the street level sucks and the design is poor and will exacerbate wind tunnels more then a properly designed building would, but not that this thing is totally out of place on that side of Boylston street.

^Those are fair criticisms of any project. But complaining a 33 story residential building is an unfair burden on your 2 year old 33 story residential tower is straight NIMBYism. Say that the street level sucks and the design is poor and will exacerbate wind tunnels more then a properly designed building would, but not that this thing is totally out of place on that side of Boylston street.

My point is that a dialog that focuses on IMBYs vs. NIMBYs has little to nothing to do with the project... it's a tired debate over process where IMBYs are concerned they are losing the debate. So let's agree the process sucks and move on to the project itself.

in this part of the city, attention to wind effects is essential.

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion in the Globe about architecture, street level, etc. Boston deserves better.

Guys, I think a lot of you are mis-reading Sicilian's comment. When he said "Boston deserves better" he meant not this particular building but the quality of "the dialogue" in general.

i.e., the main concerns about any project are views, "wind," "shadows," etc. Not architecture. While I think this particular building is OK (from what I've seen), I fully agree with him on that.

Sadly, no city in the US is primarily concerned about architecture when a new development is proposed. We all deserve better.

Simply build taller and thinner: less wind and shadows, more elegant looking development and views better preserved in both old and new buildings.

Sadly, no city in the US is primarily concerned about architecture when a new development is proposed. We all deserve better.

You could make a case for Chicago, but otherwise, yeah...

Most of those critiques are also just dressed up NIMBYism. To this guy's credit, he isn't pretending it's anything else.

Back