Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

Re: New hotel tower Trinity Place near Copley Sq.

http://boston.curbed.com/archives/2013/07/40-trinity-place-plants-lobby-18-floors-up.php

According to Curbed Boston, this project has already been 'tweaked' to render the building wind-neutral after having listened to neighbor's complaints about wind, etc. Frankly, no amount of tweaking, whether making it taller/slimmer/leaner/meaner/etc will satisfy a person who doesn't want a building built in that spot.
As far as a discussion about the architecture of a building, if you remember, there was quite the discussion about the architecture of the Dainty Dot replacement. At the end of the discussion, well, we all know the result, what was initially proposed and what the final result was, were two different buildings. Frankly, I don't know the solution. It's how building (or no building) get's done in Boston.

Re: New hotel tower Trinity Place near Copley Sq.

As long as the delay is only so that they can re-post notice of the hearing it isn't much of a delay/setback. Frankly I'm glad the developers are taking the precautions necessary to diminish any process based legal claims that could be filed.

What about a certain John Hancock building? That has lots of wind and shadow creating properties? I doubt a building directly behind it that is half the height and wedged against a garage will adversely impact the neighborhood.

I'd want any new construction to, if possible, mitigate rather than magnify the existing wind effect. It's worth a few weeks' delay to get this right.

Ron, do really feel that it is about "getting it right" (which I do agree with you) or rather stalling and being a nuisance?

I just know what it's like to bike or walk down St. James Avenue into Copley. Once I got blown clear over to the right curb while on my bike.

^ Agreed. I have worked most of my adult life in the JHT before, after, and during construction of the Clarendon. The wind has always been violent and consistent. Nothing is going to make it worse nor better.

This is back on the agenda for approval at the BRA Board meeting this Thursday.

dibw.jpg

I have not seen it from that angle before. That's going to look real nice! Here's hoping for the best on Thursday!

Can we put the 800 Boylston blob on there, just to make me feel good?

Is that grey curved building to the far left the csc proposal or is that this project?

XMas came early last night with this and the Gahden towers approvals.

Awesome. Can't wait to see this rise in about 20 years. Lol

Awesome. Can't wait to see this rise in about 20 years. Lol

I am usually very skeptical when it comes to these things but I am going to go out and limb and say this one gets going in early 2015.

EDIT

Yes, I think it will be a great addition to the skyline and fill in an otherwise deadspace.

Back