Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

It's kind of mystifying that they didnt attempt to go bigger here. I guess its easier to push smaller proposals through than face the wrath of NIMBYS

It's kind of mystifying that they didn't attempt to go bigger here. I guess its easier to push smaller proposals through than face the wrath of NIMBYS

IIRC The residents of The Clarendon were miffed enough by the proposal as it stands now. Additional height would have been met with exponentially increasing resistance from "the neighbors."

It's kind of mystifying that they didnt attempt to go bigger here. I guess its easier to push smaller proposals through than face the wrath of NIMBYS

I am thinking the same thing. It's too bad this thing is not going to be 42-46 floors tall.

I am thinking the same thing. It's too bad this thing is not going to be 42-46 floors tall.

BUT IT WOULD CAST A SHADOW OVER COPLEY SQUARE FOR 15 MINUTES ON TUESDAYS.

I support this... because it's what needs to happen... but I will really, really miss Copley as it is today - standing in the square and looking up and seeing only Trinity and the Plaza Hotel with the Hancock the lone highrise above them is a stunning view, and the artistic impact will be forever diminished by all the new towers going up around here...

They better make this one look good, is all I can say.

HTML:
I think this complements the Hancock from a color palette perspective. It is not the most show-stopping design, but at least it is not clad in that while pre-cast stuff that seems to be on so many buildings in Boston.

Also, it does not need to be tall. Yes, it would be nice if it had 20 more floors, but at least it is getting built, and the extra floors would have all the noisy neighbors freaking out. Last thing we need is this project slowing down into a tight credit market. There are plenty of dull 35-40 story glass boxes here in NYC, not everything is 56 Leonard Street.

Glad this is moving forward but what was the reasoning behind taking away parking in the building? I would think that the residents of the condos would want parking along with the hotel. Granted the parking was moved off site but still, who wants to park in a nearby garage and then walk home carrying groceries, gym bags, dry cleaning, etc. And yes, the ones that can afford to live here do all those things like the rest of us.

I support this... because it's what needs to happen... but I will really, really miss Copley as it is today - standing in the square and looking up and seeing only Trinity and the Plaza Hotel with the Hancock the lone highrise above them is a stunning view, and the artistic impact will be forever diminished by all the new towers going up around here...

They better make this one look good, is all I can say.

FK -- the iconic Copley postcard views are not affected by this project

You still see the "clean view" of Trinity with its mirror image in 200 Clarendon and on the other sides the facade of the BPL and the tower of New Old South Church

The view toward the Fairmont Copley Plaza has been compromised for many years by Tent City and Copley Place so I don't think that adding a glass tower in the background will matter much

Glad this is moving forward but what was the reasoning behind taking away parking in the building? I would think that the residents of the condos would want parking along with the hotel. Granted the parking was moved off site but still, who wants to park in a nearby garage and then walk home carrying groceries, gym bags, dry cleaning, etc. And yes, the ones that can afford to live here do all those things like the rest of us.

Atlantaden -- There is a mammoth parking garage directly adjacent to the property [the one-time John Hancock Parking garage] and directly across Dartmouth St. is the very large Copley Place Garage

I hope the glass on this tower doesn't turn out as dark as 22 Liberty's glass.

Atlantaden -- There is a mammoth parking garage directly adjacent to the property [the one-time John Hancock Parking garage] and directly across Dartmouth St. is the very large Copley Place Garage

I understand that garages are next door but my point was it's a negative for most anyone looking to invest a million plus on a condo with no parking within the building, even if parking is close by in a neighboring parking garage. I sure wouldn't buy there unless there were direct access from the neighboring garage into the building. It does look like there is direct access to parking for the University Club so that same access might be used for residents and hotel guests. I would hope so.

I understand that garages are next door but my point was it's a negative for most anyone looking to invest a million plus on a condo with no parking within the building, even if parking is close by in a neighboring parking garage. I sure wouldn't buy there unless there were direct access from the neighboring garage into the building. It does look like there is direct access to parking for the University Club so that same access might be used for residents and hotel guests. I would hope so.

This concern is usually mitigated by valet services at these buildings. People who don't want to walk a block, do not self-park.

This concern is usually mitigated by valet services at these buildings. People who don't want to walk a block, do not self-park.

If I were the type to buy a multimillion dollar condo, I would probably expect valet service. I wouldn't take an elevator to a dreary garage. On the flip side, when I was looking at some $3-4 million condos in the South End (for fun), I noticed that many of the parking spaces were blocks away at various garages (and some just leased, not owned).

There are multiple grocery stores within walking distance. Buildings like this either have a gym on site or very close by. What is the point of living in a dense urban area if you are driving to those places? Many thousands of Bostonians who make up "the rest of us" do all those things without a car. Surely these people can walk half a block from a garage. Not everyone wants to be like the people from WALL-E.

There are only a handful of spaces for Club members right behind the building, and the usual drill for members who park is to use the John Hancock garage. Valet service is limited.

God, its a mess trying to park at either garage, not to mention that their rates keep going up and up due to higher demand.

Any news on the meeting?

I love the parking talk.. but need concrete news.

Stuart St is on it's way to having the best spine in the city

I just noticed now that design is slightly different. The Back Bay needs this building.

Looks like that glass building in downtown Worcester. The "old" University Club building is a fine piece of academic architecture. Would like to see a better architectural return on this trade.

Back