Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

Great pics as always Beeline. Interesting the sign says "renovation of 40 Trinity Place." The whole building is about to be demoed right?

Last edited:
Great pics as always Beeline. Interesting the sign say "renovation of 40 Trinity Place." The whole building is about to be demoed right?
Correct, the building is about to be demo'd. This seems to be a standard verbiage, on these signs, which I believe the BPDA issues to the developer/general contractor along with those fancy graphic banners. All I can think is it's a (CYA) boiler plate thing.

How many times have we read this (check the date of the article ;)), or very similar headlines, concerning proposed developments in Boston? The developments change but the arguments against them remain the same. Happily, or not, depending on one's point of view, this hotel is finally happening. I, for one, am happy. Congrats to those behind this project who hung in there to finally get this party started!

Site preppe? Is this really happening?
If so, it's the first time in 4 and a half years that a highrise tower has broken ground in Back Bay.

I'm really going to miss the first few floors, the cornice, and the overall proportions of this building. It's another one of those buildings that add to the fabric of Boston's architectural story. I don't mind the Raffles' design...but it's generic and could be anywhere.

This is a loss, but if they ever try to take down the YWCA building next door it would be devastating.

That doesn't look like a building that's about to be demolished, why put up all that staging?

Possibly removal of materials that have value? Gathering salvage that could be used in other restoration projects? I've noticed different types of demo around here; sometimes it's just total/instant devastation, then haul the pile away...other times it's careful deconstruction at first, followed by demo.

I'm really going to miss the first few floors, the cornice, and the overall proportions of this building. It's another one of those buildings that add to the fabric of Boston's architectural story. I don't mind the Raffles' design...but it's generic and could be anywhere.
I mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but there are some truly wonderful interior spaces, too, that will be a great loss. My favorite part of this building by far is a large solarium/enclosed patio on the second or third floor (can't remember which). If I ever become a wealthy mansion dweller, I'm going to need a room like that.

Yup, broke ground thursday. 33 stories, opens early 2022.

“The property will include 147 hotel rooms and suites, 146 residences, six food and beverage venues, a state-of-the-art spa with a fitness club and 20-meter indoor pool, expansive meeting and function spaces, “grand” botanical displays throughout, 16 gathering spaces that range from intimate to more social, a rooftop garden terrace and lounge, and a two-story sky lobby perched high above Copley Square.”
Boston.com

Globenimby's said:
Another tax shelter for the 1% in a cookie-cutter, glass tower most of us will never go near.
Because the rich sprawling out, driving people out of their neighborhoods, turning triple decker's into townhomes is so much better.

^ Given the amount of pent up demand in the Boston region, we're going to have BOTH and LIKE it.

40Trinity_LobbyBar05-1300x851.jpg

10-Bar-Exterior-1300x808.jpg

07-Parlor-1300x975.jpg

12-Terrace-1300x975.jpg

09-Grand-Stair-1300x845.jpg

06-Reception-Lobby-1300x845.jpg

05-Reception-Lobby-1300x845.jpg

01-Guestroom-5x7.jpg

03-Guestroom-Bathroom-5x7.jpg

Link

Last edited:

Back