Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

How do you know it is all due to Covid? People are fleeing these high tax sucky weather states in droves. I believe this trend will continue and accelerate.

I'm just reading the numbers. It went up by 482,288 people from April 2010 to April 2020. Covid kicked in around March 2020. From there the population dropped by 45,194 in the 15 months through July 2021. I'm not saying that's the amount of people who died. I'm saying it's the event that led to the temporary population decline. What else would it be? MA grew by an average of 48k people per year for the prior 10 years and then lost 45k people in 1.25 years coinciding with covid.

Yea its pretty clear that was the cause. Lots of places in the northeast have been losing population but Boston has not had that problem. The opposite, actually.

20220402_183854.jpg

Seems like Jeff Jacoby is cherry-picking specific stats to make it look like MA is bleeding population, but that really isn't the case other than in the short term due to covid.
That is his approach to most issues. Once in a while he hits on the right conclusion, but most of the time, he either intentionally or obtusely misses the full picture to focus on a misleading review of the data.

As for this:
How do you know it is all due to Covid? People are fleeing these high tax sucky weather states in droves. I believe this trend will continue and accelerate.

Massachusetts is not a high tax state, despite the inclination of people representing a certain political viewpoint to proclaim such things.

Last edited:
When I look at this building, that IMO is better than average and a net positive to Boston, it's the parking garage that grabs my attention as the real eyesore.

I'm new to the site. Lived in the suburbs my entire life. I won't get into the politics and Logan problems as far as the buildings we are building, but I will get on the architects of this current cycle, which I'm assuming that after South Station is coming to an end. I won't even wait for this to be completed, I hate it and don't understand what these companies are thinking when they design a building. Simple as this for me: Why do you build a little stumpy building with a similar window color to next to the Hancock? Come on, It gets totally overwhelmed by the JT and is just another of the many 300'sh feet buildings in the Back Bay. It leaves me confused and a bit sad.

Last edited:
does it upset you that folks built brick-based townhouses near one another in the south end, roxbury, back bay, etc? what are you confused about? it's supply and demand. be thankful that boston has the demand to support development. sad? wtf are you talking about?

does it upset you that folks built brick-based townhouses near one another in the south end, roxbury, back bay, etc? what are you confused about? it's supply and demand. be thankful that boston has the demand to support development. sad? wtf are you talking about?

This is a weird reply to the previous poster who is really lamenting the facade choice.

Most of us get that there are market realities to development, but lets not try and shutdown every conversation on this forum by appealing to market realities. We are after all on an architecture board first and foremost not a board to discuss the economics of development.

Getting back on track...

I really like the glass on this tower, but yea I get where folks are coming from with it blending too much with the JHT. That said, I think all glass facades are in right now because they are hard to fuck up and give you floor-ceiling windows which maximize natural light.

Sorry if I offended you. It's just my opinion and isn't that what we are here for. I won't stoop to your level and curse you out when I see something you write that I don't agree with or think you're being arrogant about, which is clearly your tone.

From some angles it actually makes the Hancock look taller

Sorry if I offended you. It's just my opinion and isn't that what we are here for. I won't stoop to your level and curse you out when I see something you write that I don't agree with or think you're being arrogant about, which is clearly your tone.

you're right, of course. it's entirely possible -- even for me -- to disagree in a more civil fashion. i'll make an effort to either be a little more polite in the future, or to just keep my opinions about someone else's post/feelings to myself. i apologize for being jerky.

Last edited:

Back