Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

OK. I'm assuming I'm going to get slammed for this, but it's a serious question on my part. In no way am I putting Boston down. (well maybe) When I first learned what Raffles is I learned the amazing cities that had them and frankly I didn't and still don't think Boston compares for various reasons. My biggest issue is location and you know what they say about that. That area is how shall I say, not that nice. There's not much going on and not a lot of things to do just outside the hotel. I now it's easy to walk or subway to whatever they may want, all I'm saying is it doesn't seem to fit, maybe it's just my uneducated opinion. I also still don't get why Boston is one of the few cities in the world with two Four Seasons. Is that busy or has Covid slow that?

In the Innovation Cities 2021 Global 500 Index, Boston is #2 -- second only to Tokyo and ahead of NYC, San Fran, and (obviously) every other metro you could name. Schroders has Boston as #6 on the Global Cities Index (ahead of Chicago, Beijing, San Fran, Paris). fDi considers Boston the 6th leading American City of the Future. They haven't updated the list in a minute, but Bloomberg rated Boston as the 4th most powerful city in the U.S. (ahead of LA, San Fran). According to Business Insider, Boston is the fifth most influential city in the U.S. and 21st in the world (San Fran, for example, isn't even on the list).

Boston is important on a global scale. I don't know how or why that's not abundantly clear.

Booming bio-tech, world-leading institutions of higher learning, arts/culture scene that punches way above its size.

As for "that area is, how shall I say, not that nice" -- the Back Bay, specifically, Copley Square is "not that nice"?!?!?! I'm curious what you consider "nice." Raffles Boston is surrounded by some of the most important, beautiful, and historically significant architecture in the country (and holds its own against any city, period): Trinity Church, BPL McKim Building, Old South Church, Fairmont Copley Plaza. Not to mention, it's stumbling distance to Comm Ave, Newbury, and the Public Garden. It's also one of the single most expensive zip codes in the nation -- and for good reason.

Out of curiosity, have you spent any time in Copley/Back Bay lately? Like, actually walking around?

You have repeatedly posted about how you dislike the Raffles building and I get that -- more blue glass, nothing especially ground-breaking with the design, etc. Fair enough. Defending this building's aesthetics is not a hill I'm interested in dying upon. But I genuinely feel like you have a weird trigger about this development that's disconnected from... well, lots of actual reality/fact.

OK. I'm assuming I'm going to get slammed for this, but it's a serious question on my part. In no way am I putting Boston down. (well maybe) When I first learned what Raffles is I learned the amazing cities that had them and frankly I didn't and still don't think Boston compares for various reasons. My biggest issue is location and you know what they say about that. That area is how shall I say, not that nice. There's not much going on and not a lot of things to do just outside the hotel. I now it's easy to walk or subway to whatever they may want, all I'm saying is it doesn't seem to fit, maybe it's just my uneducated opinion. I also still don't get why Boston is one of the few cities in the world with two Four Seasons. Is that busy or has Covid slow that?
I guess some people are just stuck in the past. Boston (and especially the metro area as a whole) is not at all what it was 20-30 years ago, but maybe it's just easier to keep it compartmentalized as a lower-tier city.

Slow clap on pulling all that together. As someone who moved out in the late 2000's, Boston was great then, but is almost unrecognizable on how much farther it has advanced. I just hope I can afford to stay there someday.

In the Innovation Cities 2021 Global 500 Index, Boston is #2 -- second only to Tokyo and ahead of NYC, San Fran, and (obviously) every other metro you could name. Schroders has Boston as #6 on the Global Cities Index (ahead of Chicago, Beijing, San Fran, Paris). fDi considers Boston the 6th leading American City of the Future. They haven't updated the list in a minute, but Bloomberg rated Boston as the 4th most powerful city in the U.S. (ahead of LA, San Fran). According to Business Insider, Boston is the fifth most influential city in the U.S. and 21st in the world (San Fran, for example, isn't even on the list).

Boston is important on a global scale. I don't know how or why that's not abundantly clear.

Booming bio-tech, world-leading institutions of higher learning, arts/culture scene that punches way above its size.

As for "that area is, how shall I say, not that nice" -- the Back Bay, specifically, Copley Square is "not that nice"?!?!?! I'm curious what you consider "nice." Raffles Boston is surrounded by some of the most important, beautiful, and historically significant architecture in the country (and holds its own against any city, period): Trinity Church, BPL McKim Building, Old South Church, Fairmont Copley Plaza. Not to mention, it's stumbling distance to Comm Ave, Newbury, and the Public Garden. It's also one of the single most expensive zip codes in the nation -- and for good reason.

Out of curiosity, have you spent any time in Copley/Back Bay lately? Like, actually walking around?

You have repeatedly posted about how you dislike the Raffles building and I get that -- more blue glass, nothing especially ground-breaking with the design, etc. Fair enough. Defending this building's aesthetics is not a hill I'm interested in dying upon. But I genuinely feel like you have a weird trigger about this development that's disconnected from... well, lots of actual reality/fact.

DSC_0556.JPG

Caught a bit of the evening light looking down Mass Ave in Central Square, Cambridge. It lines up above one of the MIT domes that stands at the end of the street.

That looks cool. I've been dissing this building mainly because of the color being to close to the Hancock. Is it going to look like this from certain angles or only when the sun shines on it?

I imagine the "clientele" of this building, especially residents, are in a league of their own when it comes to creature comforts which means car centric tenants. This is one of the widest parts of Stuart St so in the near future I'm sure we will see two lanes taken up for valet. Tenants here will have the car "brought round" to cruise Newbury or the Waterfront or for a rally down the turnpike to NYC every weekend. The westbound entrance to the turnpike definitely was a factor in location.

The glass on this looks nothing like the hancock. It has either a much deeper blue or a more silvery finish. The hancock to me seems to have a tinge of green to it in most cases.

Cute, indeed, this video is freakin adorable, and a perfect introduction of the new Raffles to Boston. I have to say how proud I am that Raffles chose Boston as their first venture in North America. Another feather (no pun intended) in Boston's cap! We'll certainly make sure to stop over for a drink when Raffles opens it's doors when we're in town though I have a feeling that the Raffles drinking spots will be tough to get into for quite a while.

"...... maybe it's just my uneducated opinion.....". Not a slam, but here's some info to help out:

https://www.innovation-cities.com/index-2019-global-city-rankings/18842/

.....and THIS should really put it all in perpspective, Atlantis:

1651585276877.png

......any more questions?

"Boston led the national office demand recovery in November, demonstrating consistent strength as it remained the pace-setter among U.S. office markets according to CBRE’s monthly “Pulse of U.S. Office Demand” report. Boston has outperformed the top 12 U.S. office markets throughout the pandemic and continues to improve with steady increases in leasing demand and activity and decline in the amount of available sublease space.......
Boston had the highest Tenants-in-the-Market (TIM) Index level among the major metros at 123. That’s 23% above the pre-pandemic baseline. Although the index dropped by 11 points from the previous month, Boston is 38 points above the U.S. average of 85.

Boston again topped the Leasing Activity Index at 209, improving by 38 points to more than double the amount of leasing it witnessed prior to the pandemic. On the strength of a thriving life sciences industry, Boston ranked first among U.S. markets, 109 points ahead of the U.S. average of 100..."

1651586229908.png

Figure 6: November 2021 Leasing Activity Index – Top12 U.S. Markets

1651586313120.png

Back