Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

8/29 The delay with the top is very frustrating, because I don't currently trust that they are going to finish this the way they are supposed to.

by David Z, on Flickr

Walking by it yesterday, I had (once again) the same fear. I figure they'll do *some* type of crown -- the costs involved in staying or living there are substantial and this is a global brand making its first entry in the U.S. market; gotta figure they'd want to put their best foot forward and not have a shabby, incomplete-looking tower as their first "statement" in America (then again, who'd have thought an organization as well-heeled as Four Seasons would've cheaped out on the lit-up logo at 1 Dalton, so...).

(then again, who'd have thought an organization as well-heeled as Four Seasons would've cheaped out on the lit-up logo at 1 Dalton, so...).

I’m fairly certain there’s not a Four Seasons on the planet that has the logo lit up on the roofline of the building like that. To the people who live and stay there, as well as the vast majority of people who see the building on a daily basis, that kind of thing does look cheap and of course, tacky.

I’m fairly certain there’s not a Four Seasons on the planet that has the logo lit up on the roofline of the building like that. To the people who live and stay there, as well as the vast majority of people who see the building on a daily basis, that kind of thing does look cheap and of course, tacky.

Yeah, there aren't any rich people who subscribe to conspicuous consumption. When I buy my Rolexes, I always ask for the logo to be removed first too.

hotel-four-seasons-kuala-lumpur-kl-54.jpg.webp

Also from their own website, see:
Nashville
Jakarta
Kuala Lumpur (above)

Last edited:
I'll worry about the top more if the crane comes down before it goes up.

Haha, hey, when one makes a proclamation with such gusto and absolutism as yours, I figured some reality checking would be fun.

Not to mention since when is Nashville "fly over country?" Lots going on in Nashville these days. Rural Tennessee is a different story, of course.

I have to say this one does look since coming west on the pike from downtown

Yes, two vertical pieces that are braced to the core and a longer horizontal piece are up there as of this afternoon; this configuration is similar to what was placed on the building months back before being removed.
Thank goodness. Even though the consensus on Arch was that that the crown was just on hold, it is great to see it being actually constructed.

Back