Reasonable Transit Pitches

ARC was simply for NJ Transit, wouldn't have connected to Penn at all, and would've built a wholly separate terminal down the street so every single NJ train could get to Manhattan instead of only a subset running through with most turning on the NJ side. The goal of it was to separate commuter rail operations from Amtrak so Amtrak had the existing tunnels to itself.

The Gateway project whacks the new station and realigns everything into a track merge right outside Penn. Would require Amtrak to be segregated to the east-side tracks of the station since they'd be primary user of the new tunnels, and the junction would be a little bit of a delicate dispatching dance...but overall it serves a lot more uses for a lot more stakeholders and doesn't waste extra billions on the separate station only one party will use (of course, they'll just waste those $B's on the Moynihan Station annex onto Penn...but that's a different matter).

Substituting Gateway for ARC was the correct call. The pointlessness of having single-use stations was a problem. The way Christie went about canceling it was kind of bullshitty, though. There were sounder ways of justifying it than he used (i.e. raid the fed $$$ from the project for the state's highway fund), and be a bit more rational about it than getting angry for getting angry's sake. But...whatever. Waste and all from the stoppage Gateway would be a better deal in the end. Plus that new tunnel would actually allow Amtrak to use full-size bi-levels on the NEC for the first time in history.

I thought that the bridges and the fact that most of the NEC is already converted to high level platforms are the real obstacles to running bi-levels on the NEC?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes, the only Central Station we should EVER have is a renamed Boston South Station, with North Station renamed to Boston Garden.

The Central Station lunacy is worse than just a solution in need of a problem, it would wreak havoc on trains trying to utilize the Link.

Not to mention, by necessity, such a 'station' would amount to stub platforms in an uninviting mess of pedestrian tunnels due to simple spatial constraints.

Nothing Regional could stop there either. The platforms at CS would only be able to fit 8 cars max (some Providence and Worcester trains are already that long...and are most certainly going to go 9 or 10 within the next few years on the most jam-packed rush hour trains). There's no way the trains that need it most would be able to use it. There are Regionals that are already 10 cars.

And, worse, the platforms would be on a slight incline because there's no place in that deep tunnel where the tracks would be flat and not descending or climbing on a 1% or greater grade. Yes, that'll work just dandy for someone lugging heavy bags uphill or trying to wait on the platform in their wheelchair without rolling downhill. Designs like that are what happens when you give consultants a wad of money and then call it a day without participating or evaluating at all the work they do.

I thought that the bridges and the fact that most of the NEC is already converted to high level platforms are the real obstacles to running bi-levels on the NEC?

Amtrak's existing bi-level fleet wouldn't work because they're designed for the lower Midwest and West region platforms. NJ Transit's bi-levels would work for them, but those things are a bit smaller than the T's bi's and very cramped on the inside. It's sardine can travel, whereas ours are just as comfy as the single levels.

They'd absolutely be able to buy Regionals-speed equipment at the T's bi-level dimensions and run those with the increased tunnel clearance. And that's exactly what they'll do if it comes to pass. Would make a huge difference not only on capacity but also pricing flexibility.

I don't think bridges are that big a deal. Full-size freight cars have been running on the NEC just fine ever since it was built, and freight sets the upper dimensions limit. Pennsylvania RR and the NYNH&H used to mix its coach equipment everywhere they ran, so the standard passenger car dimensions weren't driven by the NEC (except for that tunnel).

They'd absolutely be able to buy Regionals-speed equipment at the T's bi-level dimensions and run those with the increased tunnel clearance. And that's exactly what they'll do if it comes to pass. Would make a huge difference not only on capacity but also pricing flexibility.

I'm not so sure that it's this simple. You have to climb up and down the stairs to move from bi-level to bi-level on the T, which I don't think is really going to fly with a train that requires you to cross several cars to access the cafe, or for people carrying large amounts of luggage.

If you built a North - South Tunnel you could run Amtrak trains up to Portland and Concord which would free up capacity. Most of the people who use I-93 go trough Boston so there seems to be a decent demand already for a North - South Link. The New Haven - Hartford - Springfield - Brattleboro corridor will never use the Boston Network thats a seperate project. The Capital Corridor , Downeastern Extensions and Portsmouth line would greatly benefit from a North - South tunnel. Unlike in this region , Boston system is either electric or diesel which means you don't need to buy different trains other then dual or one power source....

That's exactly the advantage. Regionals to Portland and Concord would serve the same purpose as the current Regionals to Newport News and Lynchburg, VA (with Norfolk planned). High-demand market. It wouldn't be the full Regionals schedule, but there's no "one" Regionals route today with the Virginia, Springfield, NYC-terminating/originating, etc. service patterns so it fits like a glove.

Maine is already talking about studies re: reviving the old NYNH&H-era "State of Maine" train from NYC as a sort of limited-service Regional-Downeaster hybrid. Inland Route via Springfield + Grand Junction to NS, then continue to Portland on a limited-stop Downeaster all on one-seat (reverse moves at a terminal being old hat Amtrak...Virginia Regionals do that at D.C. Union Station every few hours without bottlenecks).

(See...this is why Tim Murray shouldn't have shot his mouth off too soon about the Grand Junction. Amtrak's got ideas for it too, so wait till they've got it sorted and are ready to partner up...and execute it more methodically than the T would alone.)

I'm not so sure that it's this simple. You have to climb up and down the stairs to move from bi-level to bi-level on the T, which I don't think is really going to fly with a train that requires you to cross several cars to access the cafe, or for people carrying large amounts of luggage.

That's where the pricing flexibility part comes in. Bi-levels for expanded coach class. I mean, they wouldn't do all-bi trains like a commuter rail would. But that opens up a lower pricing tier for the plebes that doesn't currently exist. Business-class and up would still be in the singles and sleepers, which would sandwich the cafe cars. On a 10-car train you'd be talking 2-3 bi-levels spaced >2 cars from the creature comforts. But at lower price.

(That's not just a brainstorming idea, BTW. This is what they actually want to do.)

That's where the pricing flexibility part comes in. Bi-levels for expanded coach class. I mean, they wouldn't do all-bi trains like a commuter rail would. But that opens up a lower pricing tier for the plebes that doesn't currently exist. Business-class and up would still be in the singles and sleepers, which would sandwich the cafe cars. On a 10-car train you'd be talking 2-3 bi-levels spaced >2 cars from the creature comforts. But at lower price.

(That's not just a brainstorming idea, BTW. This is what they actually want to do.)

So the new options would be economy, coach, and business on the Regional trains then? How would that impact the multi-ride / monthly-ride / unreserved tickets? Would they all be relegated to economy, seated as available, or what?

My main concern would be creating awkward situations e.g. forcing monthly pass holders to declare / reserve a seat in advance or having a multi-ride ticket user who can't be seated because his ticket is no longer good in coach but all the economy seats are occupied.

They already have coach and business with full trains on a regular basis.

So the new options would be economy, coach, and business on the Regional trains then? How would that impact the multi-ride / monthly-ride / unreserved tickets? Would they all be relegated to economy, seated as available, or what?

My main concern would be creating awkward situations e.g. forcing monthly pass holders to declare / reserve a seat in advance or having a multi-ride ticket user who can't be seated because his ticket is no longer good in coach but all the economy seats are occupied.

They have to get Gateway built first. Pricing structure in 2025 is a little far off.

Keep in mind, damn near everything Amtrak runs on the NEC is going to be 10 cars soon enough. A lower tier would be add-on capacity per train, not a shift away from what's available today. It's not as hard to recalibrate the pricing when seating supply is increasing that much.

Acelas aren't going to go bi-level. There aren't any HSR trains out there that do that (tilting might be a little disorienting on the second level). But keep in mind there's going to be a lot more HSR trains by the time Gateway comes, so top business-tier Regionals customers and people taking Amtrak as a direct-flight airport replacement are going to move up into the expanded HSR tier. I would expect the demographic spread for the Regionals is going to move a little bit downmarket by that point.

I already find tilting to be a little disorienting :/

It's like working on the top floor of a high-rise. Sure, it's not going to topple over but one of the selling points of trains is that you don't need an airline barf bag if you're of weaker gastrointestinal composition. That would be...an interesting experiment...upstairs on an Acela as it snakes around the curves on the Shoreline.

They already have coach and business with full trains on a regular basis.

Yeah, but business is a single car with (IIRC) 64 seats, that presents an upgrade over the standard (coach) service prevalent in the rest of the train.

If you create a budget or economy class, then that becomes the new standard level of service - and, conversely, locks off 6 or 7 cars in a 10 car train behind a 'premium seating' restriction instead of 1 car out of 8.

Yeah, but business is a single car with (IIRC) 64 seats, that presents an upgrade over the standard (coach) service prevalent in the rest of the train.

If you create a budget or economy class, then that becomes the new standard level of service - and, conversely, locks off 6 or 7 cars in a 10 car train behind a 'premium seating' restriction instead of 1 car out of 8.

15 years to figure that one out. At least. Probably 20. What are the odds anything about today's pricing structure is going to resemble the 2025-30 market? Or that 2025-design bi-levels on an intercity carrier are going to look exactly like the 1996-design T commuter rail bi-level carbody.

That's overthinking it just a bit.

15 years to figure that one out. At least. Probably 20. What are the odds anything about today's pricing structure is going to resemble the 2025-30 market? Or that 2025-design bi-levels on an intercity carrier are going to look exactly like the 1996-design T commuter rail bi-level carbody.

That's overthinking it just a bit.

Yeah, you're probably right.

The thing about Fairmount is, it shouldn't be converted to Rapid Transit. As I understand it, everything underneath that line is pretty much clear of obstacles - if true Rapid Transit is needed on that corridor, we can dig out a tunnel and let the existing rail lines sit on top of it.

But I don't think we'll ever need that rapid transit if/when we can get EMUs on that line.

Wouldn't the infill stations + electrifying for EMUs basically make it rapid transit? Sure it isn't third-rail and the rolling stock might be different from the typical subway cars, but the corridor is dense enough to warrant frequent service.

Wouldn't the infill stations + electrifying for EMUs basically make it rapid transit? Sure it isn't third-rail and the rolling stock might be different from the typical subway cars, but the corridor is dense enough to warrant frequent service.

Even the most nimble RR cars aren't going to approach subway cars in performance or headways. You'd never get a train every 5 minutes on the Fairmount like the Red Line. Possible train frequencies jump by order of magnitude with rapid transit. And even though Fairmount at an expanded SS would stay on the opposite side and not have to intermingle with NEC/Worcester/Amtrak trains, it does have to traverse busy Southampton Yard and give the Old Colony its fair share of slots.

25 minute headways were what the original Indigo plan envisioned with DMU's. (Maybe a little optimistic...DMU's are good, but not nearly EMU-good). 20 is probably quite doable at peak with EMU's, and quite right-sized for that corridor's growth ceiling. That's really really frequent...like, Metro North New Haven Line frequent. It's a notch above the threshold where people can plan their lives over "oh, next train in 20 minutes" instead of pulling out the commuter rail schedule and hurriedly doing math in their head over how much time they have. Once you're no longer chained to the CR schedule governing your day, it's a whole new ballgame.

Maybe we can get a waiver to operate lightweight modern trains on the Fairmount which can accelerate and make stops like rapid transit.

^ I guess that was my thought: is the Fairmount still used by freight, anyway?

^ I guess that was my thought: is the Fairmount still used by freight, anyway?

CSX gets into Readville Yard by going over the Franklin-Fairmount overpass, scooting past the platform, turning out onto a siding, and reversing into the freight yard. That happens 3 or 4 times a day. Throw on top of that the commuter rail yard having all-day movements and you've got a total no-go.

To get the FRA waiver like the River Line in New Jersey the ops separation has to be TOTAL. Like, with specially-designed switches so a dispatcher error can't send a loco barreling down the wrong track (this happened last month...a Providence train got suddenly jerked down the Stoughton branch by someone pushing the wrong button downtown). And with service hours padded from each other by minimum 1 hour between end of service for one mode and start of service hours for another. It doesn't matter if CSX only crosses onto 100 ft. of Fairmount revenue track...it's still on revenue track when a passenger train is either occupying the Fairmount upstream, within 1 hour of occupying the Fairmount, or controlled by switches that are "hot" to other lines. PTC doesn't change this. That can enforce auto-stops when a train is traveling >10 MPH, but at less than that engineer is in full control of the train. A 10 MPH head-on or rear-ender between a freight and one of those Type 7's-on-diesel tincans from the River Line would still cause fatalities.

I'm sure they can find a safer alternative than "tincan on diesel" which is not the "tank on diesel" FRA solution (which is unsafe in its own way, btw).

Back