Reasonable Transit Pitches

Well, it could go by Maverick, then through Jeffries Point and through the rental car parking lots?

Would work wonderfully if the CT4 could follow the #120 route through Jeffries Point and then have MassPort reconnect both halves of Jeffries Street (could even point gates in so only designated vehicles can use the connection, ie: buses only).

From google bird's eye view it looks like there are gates a bit farther East, but I'm not sure a bus could make those turns.

From google bird's eye view it looks like there are gates a bit farther East, but I'm not sure a bus could make those turns.

Use those gates every day. No way a bus could do it

Just trying to think of things that could be done with the B-line in a reasonable fashion... (how do people make those fancy Google Maps?)

1) Close Blandford St. station. Ideally, I'd rather consolidate BU East and Central, but they've been reconstructed and Blandford hasn't, so... it seems like the most practical thing- three stations aren't really needed between the BU Bridge and Kenmore, I think.

2) Close the Blandford St. / Silber Way crossing to automobiles. Since Blandford St. itself is no longer a public street, and there are crossings one block on either side of it. You'd probably need to keep one of the pedestrian crossings, especially if the station remains open, which reduces the benefits somewhat.

3) Rebuild Pleasant St. station on either side of the Pleasant St./Agganis Way intersection as part of the Comm Ave reconstruction project. Use this to justify closing the St. Paul St. stop (just as Fordham was killed by expanding Harvard Ave.)

4) Consolidate Babcock and Packard's Corner on the other side of the Brighton Ave intersction or as an inbound/outbound split. I'm not sure about this one, but Babcock and Pleasant St. seem rather close and trains often have to wait at the Brighton Ave intersection anyway, so it seems like a natural place.

5) I don't think the Allston section really needs to be moved to the middle of the road, but if it is, then use that as an excuse to widen the platforms at places like Harvard Ave. (This is kind of obvious)

6) Consolidate Griggs and Allston St. Unfortunately I'm not sure if you can really do this because of the curve- but I also suspect ADA'ing Warren St. will require it to be moved off the hill, which means that stop spacing will become pretty dense. Of course, this probably also requires (5) to get the necessary space.

7) Close the former Mt. Hood Road pedestrian crossing. This crossing confuses me, as there doesn't seem to actually be a way to get to the other side of Comm Ave without jaywalking anyway? Though if the stop sign isn't for the crossing, but is required because of the grade, I suppose there's less harm in keeping it.

8) Realign the tracks at Sutherland Rd. to allow for wider platforms at the station on both sides. This will probably be pretty pricy and might require removing some trees- in the end this is probably necessary to ADA the station anyway, but probably isn't worth doing before then (there are certainly worse stations).

9) Like Chestnut Hill Ave.- but the median is much narrower here, too, so I'm not sure what can be done- something certainly needs to, though. Could the carriage lane be sacrificed west of Strathmore perhaps? But then we move into wider road reconstruction, which I'm not sure will reach this segment of the road before 2100. (And I'm not sure what can be done about South St.)

10) The existing plan to move the terminal to the other side of Lake Street in the median. On the other hand, it's difficult to justify funding this for the relatively small benefits... (Much like (8) in that regard really, but the existing terminal is already ADA-compliant too)

None of these will save the B-line or make it the equivalent of a subway, but added up it seems like they should make decent improvements for the Allston-Brighton area. I know a lot of people who live within close distance of the B-line in Brighton and refuse to ride it- it seems like wasted potential.

Just open up Google Maps and click My Places.

You might also be interested in this post.

1) BU East/Central were rebuilt but they're crap. The platforms are still too small; likely to make room for the "greenspace" on either side which protects drivers from having to see those dirty public transit riders. Ditch them and build a proper BU station between them. Or something along those lines.

2) Not a bad idea.

4) We should be moving to far-side stations for signal priority, but putting a far-side station inbound here entails dealing with the crossover. That can be moved too, another expense. A crosswalk will need to be installed or the whole intersection rejiggered which should happen anyway. Honestly, there's a desire line across the tracks (to the supermarket) and the city should be accommodating that, not trying to close it off.

5) The platforms desperately need to be widened and a turn-back third track would be nice too.

7) The stop sign is necessary as a brake test before the hill. Again, we should not be closing off street-crossing opportunities. Comm Ave is already ridiculous with the fence. Notice that Beacon St doesn't have that? Porousness is better for the neighborhood. Let's not be irrationally afraid of crossing trolley tracks when streets are so much more dangerous (particularly Comm Ave).

8-9) Desperately needs reconstruction and there's no need for 5 car travel lanes at all. That's ridiculous overkill which just leads to speeding and dead pedestrians.

10) I don't think there's any really good reason to move the station that can't be handled in its current location. Certainly no reason to drop $20 million. Rumor has it that BC wants the project because city would replace the water pipes in the process.

Stop consolidation, signal priority, and all-doors boarding. It'll never be as fast as a subway but it doesn't have to be, and it could be quite reasonable.

Just open up Google Maps and click My Places.

You might also be interested in this post.
An interesting article! It looks like we mostly agree here that the stops need to be reduced in this section... I think this is a big reason why the branch seems so plodding.

Ridership figures are interesting- I didn't realize Babcock got more riders than Packard's Corner, for instance.
1) BU East/Central were rebuilt but they're crap. The platforms are still too small; likely to make room for the "greenspace" on either side which protects drivers from having to see those dirty public transit riders. Ditch them and build a proper BU station between them. Or something along those lines.
I like this idea- I've seen the narrow greenspace there and I wondered what it was for, though I figured it was just a relic of the fact that the street used to be wider there. If you're going to put in the money to rebuild the stations again this is the definitely the way to go... I just figured that wasn't likely to happen as long as disasters like Chestnut Hill Ave. were still around.
4) We should be moving to far-side stations for signal priority, but putting a far-side station inbound here entails dealing with the crossover. That can be moved too, another expense. A crosswalk will need to be installed or the whole intersection rejiggered which should happen anyway. Honestly, there's a desire line across the tracks (to the supermarket) and the city should be accommodating that, not trying to close it off.
I didn't make the connection that signal priority would work best with far-side stations, but I suppose that makes sense. I agree that easier access to the Star Market there would be beneficial.

In my fantasy world the whole station (or at least the inbound platform) should be before the intersection so that it can also be served by the A-line. But this thread isn't the place for that...
5) The platforms desperately need to be widened and a turn-back third track would be nice too.
I do see the benefit here, in terms of system efficiency and especially because of wider platforms. But I just wonder about the expense- you'll basically need to rebuild everything from scratch, and it would likely take much longer... though Comm Ave is so wide you could probably keep service going through most of the construction.
7) The stop sign is necessary as a brake test before the hill. Again, we should not be closing off street-crossing opportunities. Comm Ave is already ridiculous with the fence. Notice that Beacon St doesn't have that? Porousness is better for the neighborhood. Let's not be irrationally afraid of crossing trolley tracks when streets are so much more dangerous (particularly Comm Ave).
I did consider the possibility of a break test- it's a bit annoying that there are two mandatory stops between Sutherland and Washington, but I suppose the geography is what it is. If the stop is mandatory then I have no problem with keeping the crossing- but at least it should be extended across.

If the fence went away it wouldn't be a great loss- I've darted across the tracks on Beacon before and I suppose it wasn't a huge issue.
8-9) Desperately needs reconstruction and there's no need for 5 car travel lanes at all. That's ridiculous overkill which just leads to speeding and dead pedestrians.
Honestly the only place where the carriage lanes are really needed it seems like are when they go up a hill, like at Sutherland and Warren; you could incorporate instead wider sidewalks for pedestrians and the all-important "greenspace". I just wonder if you'd run into local opposition.
10) I don't think there's any really good reason to move the station that can't be handled in its current location. Certainly no reason to drop $20 million. Rumor has it that BC wants the project because city would replace the water pipes in the process.
It seems like the big benefit is not having to always turn off into the yard- imagine if the Cleveland Circle stop was at Reservoir and all the trains had to make that U-turn constantly. But I agree, not exactly a $20 million problem.
Stop consolidation, signal priority, and all-doors boarding. It'll never be as fast as a subway but it doesn't have to be, and it could be quite reasonable.
Agreed!

Ridership figures are interesting- I didn't realize Babcock got more riders than Packard's Corner, for instance.

Check out the Blue Book.

If you're going to put in the money to rebuild the stations again this is the definitely the way to go... I just figured that wasn't likely to happen as long as disasters like Chestnut Hill Ave. were still around.

BU will probably be the one to put the money in. They just need some sense talked into them.

They're the reason there's so many stops on that stretch. Someone's gotta convince them otherwise.

I do see the benefit here, in terms of system efficiency and especially because of wider platforms. But I just wonder about the expense- you'll basically need to rebuild everything from scratch, and it would likely take much longer... though Comm Ave is so wide you could probably keep service going through most of the construction.

That section of Comm Ave is up for reconstruction in the near to mid-range future.

Honestly the only place where the carriage lanes are really needed it seems like are when they go up a hill, like at Sutherland and Warren; you could incorporate instead wider sidewalks for pedestrians and the all-important "greenspace". I just wonder if you'd run into local opposition.

I think pitching it as an improvement and realignment similar to Beacon Street will go a long way. And then they can go walk down Beacon Street and think about it.

It seems like the big benefit is not having to always turn off into the yard

I was pretty impressed by the turnout to the BC station meeting and many of the local, longtime residents spoke eloquently in favor of improving the Green Line and yet they weren't too happy about the idea of moving the station.

That final turn into the yard could probably be improved by installing a quick signal priority setup. It'll only go off every 3-6 minutes during rush hour. I think that was Fred Salvucci's suggestion at the meeting actually.

The section of Comm Ave from Packards west to around Wallingford is much, much larger than people realize. 200' Wide in fact. Thats the width of the section through the Back Bay with the mall. That's the untapped potential of Comm Ave through here. Beacon St and Comm Ave From Kenmore to Packard's is only 160' to contrast. The rebuilt section could be nicer than Beacon St.

As for the BU Stations, they do need to be consolidated. Their narrowness is a testament to the road when it was three lanes, which was less than five years ago. If you have Google Earth there are enough pictures that you can actually watch them remake the road.

Just trying to think of things that could be done with the B-line in a reasonable fashion... (how do people make those fancy Google Maps?)

1) Close Blandford St. station. Ideally, I'd rather consolidate BU East and Central, but they've been reconstructed and Blandford hasn't, so... it seems like the most practical thing- three stations aren't really needed between the BU Bridge and Kenmore, I think.

Blandford's needed for Sox crowds management. Hang out in the neighborhood 90 minutes before and 90 minutes after the game and that'll be self-evident as hell. And the station spacing vs. Kenmore really isn't that bad compared to the other surface stops that are too close. The stop's high ridership is fairly legit. It would be one thing if the B were buried out to BU Bridge...then you of course go with subway stop spacing. But as a surface stop and transition zone its numbers 'work'.

It's also last stop by the storage track, and a less-awkward place to turn trains back in a service disruption than the outbound side of Kenmore-proper. So operationally it's smoother to go up the incline and turn at Blandford rather than having to reverse 'wrong-rail' out of Kenmore outbound to the nearest crossover, holding up the next train. Also an issue with Sox extras, because they do short-turn here in regular service for a few minutes before/after.

2) Close the Blandford St. / Silber Way crossing to automobiles. Since Blandford St. itself is no longer a public street, and there are crossings one block on either side of it. You'd probably need to keep one of the pedestrian crossings, especially if the station remains open, which reduces the benefits somewhat.

That crossing is used by more pedestrians than cars already. Even moreso now that Cummington St. is closed to vehicle traffic. Since there has to be a ped crossing there that waters down the gains a lot, because the traffic light cycles (already ped-driven) aren't going to shorten much at all.

3) Rebuild Pleasant St. station on either side of the Pleasant St./Agganis Way intersection as part of the Comm Ave reconstruction project. Use this to justify closing the St. Paul St. stop (just as Fordham was killed by expanding Harvard Ave.)

Dear God yes. Look at the Blue Book and how much the boardings crater after BU Central then perk back up at Babcock. Telltale sign of West/St. Paul/Pleasant being one stop too many and over-dividing the ridership pie. As much as West's placement sucks, unless Central gets moved to BU Bridge-proper that creates too big a gap...so St. Paul is the obvious cut being home to the shorter light cycle than Pleasant/Agganis.

4) Consolidate Babcock and Packard's Corner on the other side of the Brighton Ave intersction or as an inbound/outbound split. I'm not sure about this one, but Babcock and Pleasant St. seem rather close and trains often have to wait at the Brighton Ave intersection anyway, so it seems like a natural place.

Disagree. Babcock's at a major cross street and already the higher ridership of the two stops. And the Packards-Harvard stretch is already -1 intermediate stop after Fordham Rd. was eliminated. So moving Packards to the other side of the road split starts to create an outright service cavity here when you factor in extra time waiting for light cycles on the crosswalks. It's dense residential on that side of the corner vs. commercial + BU on the other side. Not quite as high a % of ped traffic crossing that intersection as you might think, so Packards and Babcock don't have as much audience overlap as you might think.

5) I don't think the Allston section really needs to be moved to the middle of the road, but if it is, then use that as an excuse to widen the platforms at places like Harvard Ave. (This is kind of obvious)

That's MassHighway's bag; the T is just along for the ride. The center relocation does serve up some nice wide platform space, which is badly needed at Harvard Ave. where people literally hang off the railings on those packed platforms. Where I do want the T to step in and not be a passive party (if MassHighway ever finds the funding to start) is to advocate for a Blandford-style turnback track between Harvard and Griggs. The B badly needs to be able to short-turn here. This is the demarcation point in boardings between the packed inner half and somewhat sparser outer half of the B...and it's the inner half where the schedules get FUBAR'ed to hell. Every day at rush hour and every weekend night there needs to be load-balancing short-turns here as a schedule throttle.

6) Consolidate Griggs and Allston St. Unfortunately I'm not sure if you can really do this because of the curve- but I also suspect ADA'ing Warren St. will require it to be moved off the hill, which means that stop spacing will become pretty dense. Of course, this probably also requires (5) to get the necessary space.

This is a tough one because of the spacing. Allston St.'s a biggie because it's the most direct shot for reaching Union Sq. from the B, and the stop spacing gets really uneven if you whack Griggs but keep Allston and Warren. Messing with the Allston and Warren spacing is tricky because of the hill. I can't think of any rearrangement that definitively solves more problems than it would otherwise create.

7) Close the former Mt. Hood Road pedestrian crossing. This crossing confuses me, as there doesn't seem to actually be a way to get to the other side of Comm Ave without jaywalking anyway? Though if the stop sign isn't for the crossing, but is required because of the grade, I suppose there's less harm in keeping it.

I think the grade does have something to do with it. There needs to be a ped crossing somewhere on this segment because the road's a little steep to have to backtrack to Washington or Sutherland to cross and get to points in the middle. My default instinct is to stick with the arrangement that doesn't force old ladies to walk 2 blocks out of the way on a hillside that gets very slippery in winter. It doesn't affect the B schedule enough to mess with.

8) Realign the tracks at Sutherland Rd. to allow for wider platforms at the station on both sides. This will probably be pretty pricy and might require removing some trees- in the end this is probably necessary to ADA the station anyway, but probably isn't worth doing before then (there are certainly worse stations).

Shouldn't be. If they split each platform on opposite ends of the Colborne Rd. intersection that frees up enough space to realign the tracks a few inches and buy a couple feet's worth of platform width for each side. For what it's worth they ought to offset the Chiswick platforms on either side of the intersection too.

9) Like Chestnut Hill Ave.- but the median is much narrower here, too, so I'm not sure what can be done- something certainly needs to, though. Could the carriage lane be sacrificed west of Strathmore perhaps? But then we move into wider road reconstruction, which I'm not sure will reach this segment of the road before 2100. (And I'm not sure what can be done about South St.)

What they need to do with Chestnut Hill Ave. is flip the platforms to the opposite end of the intersection so this stop becomes an option for extending C runs from Cleveland Circle or D short-turns from Reservoir (hell...maybe even E's via the D-to-E connector at Brookline Village) to BC. Which I think is a potentially valuable service pattern to provision for if we're operating under the assumption that the B really badly needs a Harvard Ave. short-turn. Thin the headways up/down the hill where the ridership's a little more diffuse for the sake of beefing them up out to Harvard Ave., then supplement BC with a very limited number of Chestnut Hill C/D re-routes to re-balance the load at the terminal end.

It will be tight for platform space and may require a couple feet of road widening on the right-turn from Comm Ave. EB to Chestnut Hill Ave., but I think the service flexibility is well worth it.

As for South...South already doesn't work because it's too close to Chestnut Hill Ave. and it serves no unique ped traffic from either side of Comm Ave. that isn't already better-oriented to Chestnut Hill Ave. Flipping the Chestnut Hill platforms to the other side of the intersection makes it doubly redundant. Stop spacing would be a little long if there were no intermediates whatsoever, so Foster St. is the logical place. It's kind of weird they didn't think about combining Greycliff and South here the last time they consolidated stops, since Foster's the only thru street between BC and Chestnut Hill that connects to any place non-redundant.

10) The existing plan to move the terminal to the other side of Lake Street in the median. On the other hand, it's difficult to justify funding this for the relatively small benefits... (Much like (8) in that regard really, but the existing terminal is already ADA-compliant too)

I think this relocation plan is a loser. As noted, it's largely cosmetic and the only momentum behind it is driven by the compulsion to give BC some eye candy. But it's going to make the Lake St./BC campus intersection that much worse with all the students loitering around in the median. At least at existing Lake St. they are cordoned off to the side in more spacious environs. Yes, that's a lot of ped crossings...but they get across and stay there instead of loitering in the middle. So for the purely cosmetic benefit of making it seem like a BC student has shorter walking distance...that intersection gets a lot more clogged and hazardous, and all traffic's slowed down by the loiterers around the crosswalks. Not to mention the penalty the B endures from having its turnback area separated by a traffic light and street crossing from its loading/unloading area...and the probability that this will be annoying enough a delay that they'll have to start outright reversing directions at the platform to keep schedule, which is stupidly more inefficient when the loop is right fucking there. Do any of the people advocating this realize that making it even 0.1% harder to shuttle in/out of Lake St. yard hampers the B's ability to stay on-time that much more?

They better @#$% be planning a Harvard Ave. short-turn if this is how they want to play it.

That crossing is used by more pedestrians than cars already. Even moreso now that Cummington St. is closed to vehicle traffic. Since there has to be a ped crossing there that waters down the gains a lot, because the traffic light cycles (already ped-driven) aren't going to shorten much at all.

Why? It's a trolley! Why the fear? They mix with pedestrians all over the world. There's no reason to have anything but a "watch for trolley" sign there if it is closed to cars. The three-track segment is restricted speed anyway. Crossing the travel lanes of cars there is a lot more dangerous than crossing the tracks.

Anyway, it's not like people in Boston are going to care about a walk signal. They already don't. It's fine.

Not to mention the penalty the B endures from having its turnback area separated by a traffic light and street crossing from its loading/unloading area...and the probability that this will be annoying enough a delay that they'll have to start outright reversing directions at the platform to keep schedule, which is stupidly more inefficient when the loop is right fucking there.

According to the project manager at the meeting, the plan is to turnback at the new median platform for all trips besides shift changes.

Why? It's a trolley! Why the fear? They mix with pedestrians all over the world. There's no reason to have anything but a "watch for trolley" sign there if it is closed to cars. The three-track segment is restricted speed anyway. Crossing the travel lanes of cars there is a lot more dangerous than crossing the tracks.

Anyway, it's not like people in Boston are going to care about a walk signal. They already don't. It's fine.

Have you seen how many pedestrians cross there during class hours? School of Mgt. and School of Engineering right across the street from each other, plus dorms and campus dining on either side. Every hour on the hour when classes change there are huge gordes of people crossing there. It's almost par with BU East and Central, just with more dramatic hourly spikes because of the adjacent classrooms. You will never ever be able to de-signalize that crossing even if the road intersection were cut and made right-turn only. It's not even a safety consideration...Comm Ave. vehicle flow would come totally unglued if it was made a yield-to-ped crossing. Volumes are overwhelmingly high enough to require a signal cycle.

According to the project manager at the meeting, the plan is to turnback at the new median platform for all trips besides shift changes.

Lame lame lame. You will be able to calculate the ripple effects of how much extra cumbersome that'll be in blown schedules all the way down to GC. I guarantee within a year of it opening the Globe will be re-tweeting Pesaturo's pronouncements about how they're assigning extra inspectors to BC and tweaking ops shit around there to try--with increasing desperation--to turn things around X seconds faster and counteract the ripple effect from the longer and more ham-fisted terminal dwell times. Ultimately they are going to have to issue so many schedule corrections that the loop will be put in use as a speed-up augmentation way more than just shift changes. The intersection's already going to be twice as gunked up with ped traffic than it was before. Now they'll probably have to unload, loop, reload half the time at rush hour and gunk up the intersection even worse with crossing vehicle traffic because they 1) can't change ends as fast as they can loop, 2) can't spread the crowds well enough on a packed platform to load/unload efficiently on the same side, and 3) don't have an intersection configured for easy, conflict-free storage track installation like Cleveland Circle has for avoiding these same issues (on lower headways) when the C changes ends.

It's not a killer, but it'll be one more duh-obvious inefficiency topping off the B's shit sundae. There is no traffic engineering voice feeding this design. It is a total empty-calorie monument-building giveaway to BC, nothing more.

Have you seen how many pedestrians cross there during class hours? School of Mgt. and School of Engineering right across the street from each other, plus dorms and campus dining on either side. Every hour on the hour when classes change there are huge gordes of people crossing there. It's almost par with BU East and Central, just with more dramatic hourly spikes because of the adjacent classrooms. You will never ever be able to de-signalize that crossing even if the road intersection were cut and made right-turn only. It's not even a safety consideration...Comm Ave. vehicle flow would come totally unglued if it was made a yield-to-ped crossing. Volumes are overwhelmingly high enough to require a signal cycle.

Have I? Of course, I'm usually passing by there nearly everyday. I didn't say to remove the signals for vehicle traffic, I said that you don't need to make the trolley wait for them.

The crossing is timed slightly too short to allow a normal person to get across there, actually, and needs to be fixed. I know the light well enough that there's a long clearance time between solid Don't Walk and the actual Comm Ave phase, so I just keep going. And I'm a pretty quick walker.

But when the large masses come out of classes and cross there, they don't wait for the "Walk" signal. The signals are largely just a formality. When the way is clear, they cross. If a trolley comes along, it dings the bell, and people wait for it. It already functions this way, so I don't see why there's any reason to make a trolley wait at a pointless red light during the rest of the time when there's few pedestrians around.

You will be able to calculate the ripple effects of how much extra cumbersome that'll be in blown schedules all the way down to GC.

I don't care for the new station either. But why is the T so bad at turnbacks?

I don't care for the new station either. But why is the T so bad at turnbacks?

There's nothing wrong with reversing directions...they do it efficiently at Cleveland Circle. But the B has no margin for error, and every few seconds extra cascades all the way downtown. So what's the logic in crippling the BC turnback to perform any degree worse?

-- It's a less-spacious platform, and if they turn at the platform they're either A) forced to use only 1 platform for loading and unloading creating an overcrowding situation on the platform, or B) forced to alternate platforms and send waiting passengers scurrying to the other side (unlike Red/Orange/Blue the B does not have the automated dispatching precision to predict in advance and alert passengers which platform the train's going to use). That's a ped traffic clusterfuck. And it happens in the middle of the road in a busy intersection, which messes with the crosswalks.

-- Since there's no room for tail track storage that doesn't block the path to the loop that's probably going to mean 1-platform loading/unloading only at peak hours. Since it'll be pretty much necessary to keep the loop unobstructed at all times with all the schedule-adjusting trains they'll have to make out of the yard. That's going to hurt headways at all peak hours...something they don't have to worry about at Cleveland Circle where the junctions between Reservoir carhouse, the Chestnut Hill track/storage track, and the station leave 3 different paths in/out. The blockage is part of the reason Brigham Circle turnbacks fail and have to get scrapped as a service plan every time the T tries it...the track obstruction and 1-platform dwell gums up the works too much.

-- If they don't send everything through the yard that gives them little vehicle flex on a line that's already at-capacity. If something goes wrong like a disablement it's harder to squeeze things in/out of the yard or shuttle something on-demand out of Reservoir with the yard access constrained by trains laying over on the platform.

-- Layover time is way less on a loop because the operator doesn't have to get out and change ends...train doesn't have to get put in/out of park with a systems check on both ends...switches don't have to be thrown. From the operator's standpoint inbound/outbound are all functionally on the same trip. It's fine on the grade separated terminals like North Station or Cleveland Circle where there's all kinds of storage redundancies for keeping schedule, but it sucks on low schedule margin lines like the B and E to lose any minutes with out-of-service time.

-- Reversing direction isn't fail-safe...when the Boeings were wheezing their last they actually yanked them off the C and made them strictly loop on the D because the MU electronics sometimes went on the fritz during the changing-ends and the train would end up stuck for a couple minutes in park until the inspectors showed up. The Type 7's aren't perfect at this either. That's an instant schedule penalty. Also..."We are experiencing delays due to switching problems."

-- As noted, today they accomplish the loading/unloading and the turnback simultaneously without the train needing to go out-of-service in park or a single switch to be thrown. And the passengers are kept far away from the intersection to keep the loiterers from messing up Comm Ave. traffic. It's adding steps to the turnback and adding more light cycles than it saves to the intersection because of all the extra clustering ped activity.

-- There is going to be no mitigation elsewhere on the line to cancel out the drag. They can't do signal priority between BU Bridge and Warren because of the stalled MassHighway road projects. They can't think about installing a middle-of-line turnback until the MassHighway projects are done. And the new crossovers at Park permitting thru service on the inner inbound track have been canceled. The T decided moving a couple electrical boxes and support beams wasn't worth the trouble, and turtled out of the project. Which was 100% funded by a stimulus grant, so they outright forfeit full fed funding that had already been obligated. Absolute bupkis happening on the B's route for at least the rest of the decade. So we're going to make it worse???

Hate it, hate it, hate it. It's not a transit project at all. It's not even a transit negatives-outweighing-positives...there are no operational positives. It's a pure, naked BC ego-stroking giveaway. And another over-design that's likely to run heinously over-budget. If they found a way to make the BU East/Central rebuild take twice as long at twice the price, they're definitely going to find a way to fuck this one up hard.

Just to clarify, the operational plan presented for the median station is: trains continuing in service will crossover and unload on the southside track, while trains leaving service will unload on a smaller platform on the northside track and then proceed straight into the yard.

Again, I think the new station is a bad idea but they're going to have to do turnbacks at the termini of the GLX. It's a damn shame the MBTA can't do them efficiently when plenty of systems around the world manage.

Just to clarify, the operational plan presented for the median station is: trains continuing in service will crossover and unload on the southside track, while trains leaving service will unload on a smaller platform on the northside track and then proceed straight into the yard.

Again, I think the new station is a bad idea but they're going to have to do turnbacks at the termini of the GLX. It's a damn shame the MBTA can't do them efficiently when plenty of systems around the world manage.

Different deal on GLX, because that's in signalized/dispatched territory. Over there you have all-island platforms, centrally-controlled auto switches, and the alarm bells notifying passengers which track the train's stopping at. Turnbacks on the surface branches are first-come/first-serve and a free-for-all, especially when the yard tracks are in all-day use. Real tail tracks like North Station or Alewife have crossovers every 25 feet allowing multiple conflict-free paths for juggling turning trains and yard moves.

One-platform boarding in a road median has clusterfuck written all over it. That is a deeply lame service plan indicative of zero transit engineer input. I'm willing to bet BC's precious station got designed first with the ironclad aesthetic requirements and then it got punted to the engineers saying "shut up and make this work."

Like I said, not a transit project in any way, shape, form. It's a "LOOK AT ME, COMM AVE. DRIVERS! I'M BOSTON COLLEGE, BITCHES!!!" project paid for by the hapless transit agency.

If you don't mind, I can put you in touch with some locals who are opposed to the station relocation and I think they would be very interested in these details.

can't do signal priority between BU Bridge and Warren because of the stalled MassHighway road projects. ... Absolute bupkis happening on the B's route for at least the rest of the decade.

Yet they claim to be working on "signal priority" for Commonwealth Avenue. Got any further info on this hold-up?

Last edited:
If you don't mind, I can put you in touch with some locals who are opposed to the station relocation and I think they would be very interested in these details.

Yet they claim to be working on "signal priority" for Commonwealth Avenue. Got any further info on this hold-up?

They can do it today up to BU Bridge because those are all-new computer controlled signals. Everything else is still 'dumb' analog. As those are city/state responsibility the T can only proceed if the city and MassHighway pay for the upgrades. Unlike the C and E which do have the new computer signals ready to go. Conversion's held up by the BU Bridge-Packards rebuild and the Packards-Warren rebuild being mothballed due to funding. And there's no reason to do it until the roadway work gets done because BU Bridge-Packards will get the lane drop, requiring signal changes...and Packards-Warren is of course a total teardown/reimagining of the whole road + track layout. Moot and really really really moot to do signal priority now. If the asphalt folks can get the funding, Warren-BC is doable now since the road won't be getting any reshaping there.

Anything helps, so they ought to be going full-bore at getting priority to BU Bridge ASAP. And if the road rebuilds are stalled, they can still get the ends of the line done and leave the middle gap for later when MassHighway can fund the rebuilds.

Well it would be nice to show that signal priority isn't scary and it should be standard practice for when they do rebuild that section. I still don't know why it hasn't been implemented on the "C" line where Brookline claims to be all ready. Supposedly BTD and the T "just" hooked up their computer systems, I was told recently. Not sure how that applies to Brookline anyway.

If Warren-BC is not getting any reshaping then what are they going to do about the tiny platforms? I figured after they did away with the pointless outer lanes on Packard-Warren they would reshape Warren-BC to match. Do away with the fifth lane and use that width for sane, ADA platforms. There's so many senior folks out there who have trouble with the current situation, it's a travesty.

Well it would be nice to show that signal priority isn't scary and it should be standard practice for when they do rebuild that section. I still don't know why it hasn't been implemented on the "C" line where Brookline claims to be all ready. Supposedly BTD and the T "just" hooked up their computer systems, I was told recently. Not sure how that applies to Brookline anyway.

If Warren-BC is not getting any reshaping then what are they going to do about the tiny platforms? I figured after they did away with the pointless outer lanes on Packard-Warren they would reshape Warren-BC to match. Do away with the fifth lane and use that width for sane, ADA platforms. There's so many senior folks out there who have trouble with the current situation, it's a travesty.

They can do a lot with the narrow platforms by offsetting stops on either side of the intersection. Chiswick and Sutherland are directly across from each other, and they goofed on the Washington ADA'ing by not altering the layout with an offset reconstruction. Chestnut Hill might be a tough fit if the goal is flipping it so it's accessible from the C, and of course South needs to be moved entirely. The hill makes it impossible to mod the road here because the 4 road berths aren't all at the same exact elevation, and the WB local lanes terminate several blocks earlier than the EB ones do so the road's asymmetrical after it does flatten out.

Regarding improvements to Comm Ave, it seems they have updated that project status a little:

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/ProjectInfo/Main.asp?ACTION=ViewProject&PROJECT_NO=606284#

BOSTON- IMPROVEMENTS TO COMMONWEALTH AVENUE, FROM ARMORY STREET TO ALCORN STREET
This project will improve a principal arterial roadway by upgrading pavement & drainage conditions, improving facilities for bikes and pedestrians, and widening the MBTA reservation. The upgrades will be consistent with Boston's Commonwealth Avenue Phase 1 project.

Claims 2015 - $11.5 million

(and yes, they're still misspelling "Amory Street")

Back