Reasonable Transit Pitches

Lynn wouldn't be a problem turning trains. The viaduct was originally built for 3 tracks with a side and an island platform. The middle track was removed even before the modern platform was built in 1992. There's plenty of space right here for a pocket track to turn DMUs.

Well, I am mistaken. Didnt realize how much room was on the viaduct there. I still dont like the idea of only running a dmu that makes 2 stops on that line. (Riverworks doesnt count).

DMUs open up the option of adding a station or two that wouldn't be justifiable with the long-haul CR trains. Revere/Wonderland would be a pretty obvious one.

Lynn DMU also frees the T to kick BLX a few decades down the road.

DMUs open up the option of adding a station or two that wouldn't be justifiable with the long-haul CR trains. Revere/Wonderland would be a pretty obvious one.

That one was a dog on ridership when it was studied. 1500 ft. walk from the CR platform to the Blue Line platform. For comparison that's twice the length of the Wellington skywalk from the station to the garage. If they don't build that as a Wellington-style climate-protected skywalk over 1A or as an ex- Wellington-style automated people mover the biting ocean wind through the flat expanse of parking lots is going to render the walk between transfers unusable in winter months.

It's not going to attract ridership. People will park at Wonderland and go direct to Blue same as always. People in Lynn and Chelsea will continue taking the cheaper bus when nearly all Lynn buses loop at Wonderland, and Chelsea buses already run into Wonderland, Revere Beach, Beachmont, and Maverick. DMU stop has the integrity-of-concept thing going for it, but the natural constituency doesn't exist.

I'd put more energy into refashioning Riverworks into a realer West Lynn stop and rope in some TOD east of the plant facing 1A. There's upside to tap there. But that's not a good excuse either for permanently washing hands of the Blue Line extension ever happening.

Theoretically speaking, what are the actual barriers to double-tracking the Foxboro Branch and establishing regular commuter rail service on it?

Would you need to double track it to do regular service? Plenty of the CR is single tracked.

That one was a dog on ridership when it was studied. 1500 ft. walk from the CR platform to the Blue Line platform. For comparison that's twice the length of the Wellington skywalk from the station to the garage. If they don't build that as a Wellington-style climate-protected skywalk over 1A or as an ex- Wellington-style automated people mover the biting ocean wind through the flat expanse of parking lots is going to render the walk between transfers unusable in winter months.

It's not going to attract ridership. People will park at Wonderland and go direct to Blue same as always. People in Lynn and Chelsea will continue taking the cheaper bus when nearly all Lynn buses loop at Wonderland, and Chelsea buses already run into Wonderland, Revere Beach, Beachmont, and Maverick. DMU stop has the integrity-of-concept thing going for it, but the natural constituency doesn't exist.

I'd put more energy into refashioning Riverworks into a realer West Lynn stop and rope in some TOD east of the plant facing 1A. There's upside to tap there. But that's not a good excuse either for permanently washing hands of the Blue Line extension ever happening.

If there were no prospect of BLX, you could add a wye + loop at Wonderland for the DMU to allow a quick transfer

Would you need to double track it to do regular service? Plenty of the CR is single tracked.

Plenty of the CR network is indeed single tracked - including the entirety of the Franklin Line south of Norwood Central. The first passing siding on the line heading outbound from Norwood Central is on the "wrong" side of the Walpole junction (relative to Foxboro) and there are no passing sidings whatsoever on the Foxboro branch north of Gillette Stadium.

All told it's about 7.7 miles of single-track with zero ability to run trains in two directions - so, yes, it does need to be double tracked to run regular commuter rail service.

"It" is a word which in this context can mean either the Franklin Line between Walpole and Norwood Central OR the Foxboro Branch ... or both.

I actually hadn't realized there were no sidings between Norwood and Walpole when I wrote the first post, or I would have said Franklin Line instead. Meh.

If there were no prospect of BLX, you could add a wye + loop at Wonderland for the DMU to allow a quick transfer

http://goo.gl/maps/9yzoz

It can't swing any closer than those parked big rigs at the back of the ex- dog track parking lot before rapidly needing to abort trajectory and cross back between houses on Dunn Rd. to reach the mainline. It wouldn't shave more than 200-300 ft. off the walking distance. It's the difference between walking slightly under ⅓ mile to the Blue Line fare lobby to slightly under ¼ mile, which is still a longer walk than the average walking distance between most B, C, or E line stops. That won't encourage any transfers.

And before squinting at Google to try to squeeze more blood from stone on the radius of the turnout...remember, this a common-carrier railroad. Constructing a turnout or loop here has to assume that it's fair game for any passenger or freight equipment. No DMU-exclusive trolley loops or 90-degree angle turns in hopes of shaving every inch off the distance. Pick running on common-carrier track, live with the geometric constraints of all- common-carrier track. Them's the breaks.

Plenty of the CR network is indeed single tracked - including the entirety of the Franklin Line south of Norwood Central. The first passing siding on the line heading outbound from Norwood Central is on the "wrong" side of the Walpole junction (relative to Foxboro) and there are no passing sidings whatsoever on the Foxboro branch north of Gillette Stadium.

All told it's about 7.7 miles of single-track with zero ability to run trains in two directions - so, yes, it does need to be double tracked to run regular commuter rail service.

"It" is a word which in this context can mean either the Franklin Line between Walpole and Norwood Central OR the Foxboro Branch ... or both.

I actually hadn't realized there were no sidings between Norwood and Walpole when I wrote the first post, or I would have said Franklin Line instead. Meh.

Official Foxboro study traffic models it all, with 3 build options: http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/A...er Rail Report (01-Sept-10) - REPORT ONLY.pdf

The only things they have to do are:

-- Extend Franklin double-track from Norwood Jct. to Windsor Gardens (not expanding the WG platform, just switching back to single right before pulling into the platform).

-- Add crossovers at Franklin layover so that 1 of the 2 yard tracks can act as a full-blown passing siding during peak hours when the layover yard is empty or near-empty. That eliminates any possibilities of even one train meet conflict.

-- It's assumed on all but the unlikely minimal option that Foxboro station would get a layover facility, and that there would be a freight passing track around the station because otherwise it can't be anything more than a mini-high.

60 MPH would be the avg. speed on the Framingham Secondary; 7 minute travel time between Walpole and Foxboro. Total travel time a little under an hour. Since the full schedule for this branch would get routed via the Fairmount Line instead of the NEC, final schedule is subject to how many Fairmount stations it picks up past Readville. Probably Fairmount as the Hyde Park analogue, and then a pick 'em of the best 2 of the rest (maybe even a different 2 on different slots).

Max build matches the Foxboro and Forge Park schedules 1:1. 16 inbounds, 16 outbounds, 4 morning peak, 5 evening peak on each branch. Or 32 inbound, 32 outbound, 8 morning peak, 10 evening peak for those lucky duckies in Walpole, Norwood, and Dedham who get rewarded with twice the service.

Yes...the inner Franklin is one of the most under-capacity lines of them all. This is about the most new trains for the least capital $$$ you can come up with anywhere on the system. Especially considering it outright 2x'es its service on push-pulls alone independent of the DMU purchase (which obviously wouldn't be running out here this far past 128 to begin with).

The only thing that would force double-tracking south of Windsor Gardens is a Milford or Woonsocket extension. And even then it would only go need to go to Franklin station. Few stops, wide stop spacing south of WG means few conflicts.

60 MPH would be the avg. speed on the Framingham Secondary; 7 minute travel time between Walpole and Foxboro. Total travel time a little under an hour. Since the full schedule for this branch would get routed via the Fairmount Line instead of the NEC, final schedule is subject to how many Fairmount stations it picks up past Readville. Probably Fairmount as the Hyde Park analogue, and then a pick 'em of the best 2 of the rest (maybe even a different 2 on different slots).

I'm dubious about the concept of expressing through any of the Fairmount Line stations if we're figuring 4 tph for the full-build Fairmount Line.

Exactly how many tph do you expect the Fairmount Line to be serving?

I'm dubious about the concept of expressing through any of the Fairmount Line stations if we're figuring 4 tph for the full-build Fairmount Line.

Exactly how many tph do you expect the Fairmount Line to be serving?

A lot. And they did base the F'boro models on the full-build Fairmount models from the original DMU studies, so the upgraded Fairmount infrastructure as-built can already handle this schedule with no further touches.

Consider what the DMU-to-be Worcester Line is going to have on its likewise 2 tracks only inside 128:
-- similar DMU frequency out to Riverside
-- additional intra-city DMU short-turns from Track 61 and the Grand Junction
-- Worcester/Framingham locals
-- Worcester expresses
-- Amtrak Inlands, up to 5 round trips per day
-- 1 Lake Shore Limited round trip
-- 1 (likely) Boston-Montreal round trip

The only other user of Fairmount today is 2 inbound and 1 outbound Franklin expresses. 16 IB/16 OB Foxboro movements not only doesn't saturate it, but if the NEC needs the relief in the deeper future it could absorb all 32 IB/32 OB daily trains on the Franklin main and still be below the total TPH level of the Worcester Line inside 128. With no NEC intermingling on final approach to SS.

The only trick for supersaturation is having well-spaced enough crossovers to pass the DMU's. 1 set per every 2 stations as much as Worcester would ever need inside 128 to never foul a headway. If it comes to the point where we're dumping Milford and Woonsocket into the Fairmount mix, +1 crossover here...+1 crossover there. But only if Franklin starts scaling up like that and abdicates the NEC entirely.

The Midland was built when the NYNH&H had dreams of the Air Line being the bestest, fastest, most popular route to New York. Neither Franklin nor Fairmount have ever ever ever in their whole histories gotten anywhere close to tapping their native capacities. This route was supposed to be able to handle this 120 years ago. The traffic and riders simply never materialized. It is an asston of unused capacity.

EDIT: Actually, the engineering group that modeled the Fairmount service plan in 2008 is the exact same one that did this Foxboro study 2 years later. So when they cite on p. 19 the study methodology for their capacity analysis, that's their own report it's based off, which assumes a 20-minute Fairmount Line headway at existing South Station peak hour capacity compressible to 15 minutes when SS is expanded.

So...yeah. The corroborated data is in there between the 200+ pages of the two reports. Fairmount as presently configured is fully compatible with Foxboro so long as there is follow-through on the same SS platform + track expansion. With the DMU purchase decision made (which the F'boro study could not make an assumption on in 2010), the Option B plan is the one that does the most separation between the two lines' schedules. They would have to run some Fairmount slots as thru Foxboro push-pulls if SS were not expanded, a modest reduction in DMU usage and increase in F'boro travel time but not a reduction in regularly scheduled Fairmount service. If SS is expanded enough new terminal capacity opens up to fully segregate the schedules on DMU locals and F'boro expresses that stick to < an hour travel time (I guess you could call that "Option D: The Best of Both Worlds").

So present-day SS is the limiter that has to get lifted, not the Fairmount Line itself. Which makes perfect sense because that's a pan-southside issue mostly manifesting itself in too many conflicting moves to Widett Circle and need for too many (mostly NEC) trains to lay over on-platform.

Last edited:
Would it be Kosher to use that untapped capacity of the Fairmount Line for SCR via Mansfield? It would be a lot shorter stretch of track to reactivate than going via Stoughton, and wouldn't interfere with NEC capacity, given a couple flyovers at Mansfield and Readville.

http://goo.gl/maps/EAK3y

I've seen SCR mulled via Middleborough and Attleborough, but neither have the capacity necessary to provide good service.

Last edited:
Would it be Kosher to use that untapped capacity of the Fairmount Line for SCR via Mansfield? It would be a lot shorter stretch of track to reactivate than going via Stoughton, and wouldn't interfere with NEC capacity, given a couple flyovers at Mansfield and Readville.

http://goo.gl/maps/EAK3y

Fatal blocker: Mansfield Jct. was severed for the line south of there by a road project in the 1950's. The state offered to restore the connection, by the NYNH&H railroad passed on it. What's now "Old Colony Rd." is the old ROW, and it would take nearly a half-mile of tunneling to mend that break.

The only way around that is jogging 1 mile down the NEC and branching a new-construction line along MA 140, I-495, and the Mansfield Airport to meet back up with the old ROW.

Unfortunately,

1) The SCR routings from the west on the NEC all got violently opposed by Taunton and Norton. Norton because NIMBY's, Taunton because of the grade crossing hell in the center of town that the Stoughton route would entirely bypass without unduly harming downtown's station access. This one would get opposed for the same reasons as the eliminated Attleboro alternative.

2) It's a much slower and less direct route than Stoughton (which isn't so hot itself on FR/NB travel times). Speeds aren't going to top 60 east of Walpole, while Stoughton can hit 80 on some segments. There will be pressure to divert as many trains onto the NEC to Mansfield as possible to shorten travel times, so this could end up boomeranging back a little bit on the NEC.

3) Framingham Secondary was not a historically double-track line while Stoughton was, so there are capacity issues for running 2 branches off it. Especially in the vast expanses of swamp it runs through. Even though SCR suicidally cut back Stoughton-Taunton to mostly 1-track and maimed headways past Taunton, that 2nd track is still addable later. It's not on this routing except for maybe a couple passing sidings.

4) Lower ridership because the route serves fewer unique destinations. Stoughton route hauls in Easton and Raynham. If Foxboro is already on the system map beforehand, there's nothing new here except Norton...who wanted no part of a stop on the Attleboro alternative.

5) No double-up potential for Cape Cod service. Taunton-via-Stoughton is direct enough to route express Cape service east on the Middleboro Secondary from Taunton Depot/24/140 as relief valve for the Old Colony. This route is too long and far afield for that. Providence-originating Cape trains and revived Amtrak Cape Codders still have a far easier path via Attleboro on the very straight and grade crossing-few west half of the Middleboro Secondary than doubling-up here.

6) Meager freight utilization, which is why the connection was allowed cut in the first place. CSX has a large glut of lucrative local customers in Attleboro, so they round all of those on the same run while they go to Attleboro Jct. to reach Middleboro. This is why they kept the 3rd NEC track down here while ripping it out elsewhere. They would never opt for a direct to Taunton and Middleboro when Attleboro's big business and has to get daily-served all the same.

I also don't think if you're just up for purging the Stoughtons from the NEC to Readville so Needham has a fighting chance at more slots that that's going to have much effect either. Stoughton/South Coast still has to rejoin at Readville meaning there are no new slots to be had for them between Readville and Canton Jct. beyond current projected growth. Fairmount's 2 tracks definitely go over-capacity if you start larding 4 or 5 branches onto it and make some of those dependent on hitting an NEC Readville-Canton slot instead of being fully de-coupled. Let that morph over time into the end-to-end Franklin main like it used to be 100+ years ago where the DMU vs. push-pull overlap stays well within Worcester Line-like characteristics.

And Amtrak does have plans to reinstate the 4th NEC track from Forest Hills to Readville sometime after the tri-tracking projects south of there (because those are more critical), which opens up some relief for the non-Needhams that aren't crawling to a local stop every 1.5 miles inside the SW Corridor pit/tunnel. If the Franklins start bleeding over to Fairmount over time that's primarily Stoughton's extra capacity to tap. And Needham still has to go because the frequent stops clog the 3-track segment way more than the TPH. If it weren't for the slowdowns around Needhams pulling into Forest Hills and all the glut of stuff stopping at Ruggles it wouldn't be so dire in there.

Thanks for raising those issues, I was not aware of some of them, particularly the Nimbyism of Norton and the improbability of being able to double track the Framingham Secondary. one of the main reasons I asked is because I assumed that double tracking that part of the line would be trivial, but if it's not, then it's no longer even easier to build than the Stoughton route.

Downtown Mansfield is completely out because a viaduct would be too disruptive, and a tunnel wouldn't be able to weave under the surface streets and over/under the cut for rt 106, so the bypass is the only way, agreed.

My presumption of 2030 levels is certainly much different than yours is, and if that report is anything to go off of, what the MBTA's is.

My presumption of "2030 Service Levels" is 16 Peak TPH on the Fairmount Line (8 xMUs for Westwood/128, 4 xMUs for Foxboro, 2 hybrid-consist TPH for Woonsocket, 2 hybrid-consist TPH for Milford-via-Forge Park), 8 Off-Peak TPH (exactly half of everything), and my assumption is that future hybrid consists (at the minimum, future hybrids lashed up expressly for use on this corridor) will have similar enough acceleration to the xMUs that you could just run all trains local on the Fairmount Line and be fine as far as dispatching was concerned.

I know, I know. Perfect is the enemy of good enough, and all that - but if we're going to treat the Fairmount Line like a Rapid Transit Line, running off-peak rapid transit frequencies during peak hour is not "good enough," never mind perfect - every 15 minutes wouldn't be acceptable for the Red/Blue/Orange Lines (which I anticipate as moving to every 3 minutes during peak by 2030); if we're committing to the Indigo Line, it isn't acceptable here either.

For what it's worth, I'm not attached to 16 Peak TPH as a goal for the Fairmount Line (and I'd be more than happy with 8 TPH if all 8 trains were to be run local) - I haven't done the math for it to make an assertion one way or the other but if express service is still rated as the highest priority for this line I would be willing to believe that 6 xMU short-hauls + 4 longer-distance express-running commuter trains is doable and while I wouldn't be jumping for joy about every-10-minutes on the peak Fairmount Line, I'd be willing to call it "good enough."

As an aside...

I don't have the same objection to running 4 TPH on any of the Worcester Line services because I still consider the Track 61 trolley to be a cheap gimmick that isn't worth our time or our limited resources (if BCEC wants to foot 100% of the bill and have the trolley be lowest-priority at all conflict points they can feel free to build it and run it themselves, otherwise, there are about a million other transit improvements for the Seaport and the rest of Boston that rate higher on the priority scale), the Grand Junction DMU's capacity limiter is probably the Grand Junction itself long before it's Worcester Line congestion, and the Riverside DMU stations are similarly hampered by exceptionally bad placement and have a long way to go before they can support the kind of frequency that Fairmount can in terms of raw ridership.

(Also, it doesn't help the Riverside DMU's case one bit that Newton Corner didn't/doesn't rate as worth a stop and yet "West Station (Really? REALLY?)" does. Build Newton Corner and do something about the abysmal quality of life for prospective riders at West Newton and Auburndale, then the Riverside DMU will likely rate as an attractive choice for the volume of riders it needs to merit 8+ TPH.)

My presumption of "2030 Service Levels" is 16 Peak TPH on the Fairmount Line (8 xMUs for Westwood/128, 4 xMUs for Foxboro, 2 hybrid-consist TPH for Woonsocket, 2 hybrid-consist TPH for Milford-via-Forge Park), 8 Off-Peak TPH (exactly half of everything)

Multiple units to Foxborough? Really? At 15-minute headways? The whole point of DMUs is that you trade capacity/train for frequency. They are useful only when demand is fairly flat - corridors which only see peaked service for commuters will be better served by high capacities at scheduled infrequent departures. Fairmount and Riverside are semi-urban corridors with relatively constant density to their respective termini. Foxborough is a string of medium-sized town centers with minimal demand other than commuting to Boston. Not a good DMU market, in 2030 or ever.

I don't have the same objection to running 4 TPH on any of the Worcester Line services because I still consider the Track 61 trolley to be a cheap gimmick that isn't worth our time or our limited resources (if BCEC wants to foot 100% of the bill and have the trolley be lowest-priority at all conflict points they can feel free to build it and run it themselves, otherwise, there are about a million other transit improvements for the Seaport and the rest of Boston that rate higher on the priority scale), the Grand Junction DMU's capacity limiter is probably the Grand Junction itself long before it's Worcester Line congestion, and the Riverside DMU stations are similarly hampered by exceptionally bad placement and have a long way to go before they can support the kind of frequency that Fairmount can in terms of raw ridership.

(Also, it doesn't help the Riverside DMU's case one bit that Newton Corner didn't/doesn't rate as worth a stop and yet "West Station (Really? REALLY?)" does. Build Newton Corner and do something about the abysmal quality of life for prospective riders at West Newton and Auburndale, then the Riverside DMU will likely rate as an attractive choice for the volume of riders it needs to merit 8+ TPH.)

I'm not certain what you mean by "exceptionally bad placement." Do you mean that they're single track stations with awful platforms abutting the highway lanes? Absolutely, and those stations will have to be substantially rebuilt either before or shortly after DMU service begins. If you mean that the stations are not well located, I'd have to disagree. Of course Newton Corner is a serious omission from this plan, but every one of the Riverside DMU stations is located at a historical commercial center - as you would expect since all of those villages were built around the stations.

For what it's worth, waiting on an open platform next to a highway is not an unheard of thing for transit riders. The Chicago "L", BART, Portland MAX, and many other systems have exposed platforms directly adjacent to freeway lanes.

"West Station" is included because it has been a fixture of previous MBTA studies, namely the Allston Multimodal Study of 2009. A station there is not a bad idea, BTW. If built properly, it could be given a pedestrian bridge to BU - a bridge which could be extended across the tracks to begin building connectivity between the two sides of the tracks. MassDOT will need to figure out how this interacts with the A/B Interchange redux, though.

My presumption of 2030 levels is certainly much different than yours is, and if that report is anything to go off of, what the MBTA's is.

Well, that's the problem, CBS. You won't believe anything except your own presumptions whether there's 200 pages of official documentation saying otherwise or not. There's no reasoning with that if real data can't ever puncture your bubble of what things should be/must be.

My presumption of "2030 Service Levels" is 16 Peak TPH on the Fairmount Line (8 xMUs for Westwood/128, 4 xMUs for Foxboro, 2 hybrid-consist TPH for Woonsocket, 2 hybrid-consist TPH for Milford-via-Forge Park), 8 Off-Peak TPH (exactly half of everything), and my assumption is that future hybrid consists (at the minimum, future hybrids lashed up expressly for use on this corridor) will have similar enough acceleration to the xMUs that you could just run all trains local on the Fairmount Line and be fine as far as dispatching was concerned.
There will never be xMU's on the Franklin Line or Framingham Secondary. That is the primary southside freight clearance route to Boston and from Worcester-Framingham to the South Coast, will always have less-efficient boarding low platforms because of that, and will always have pretty wide stop spacing sticking to almost entirely 9-5 residential and park-and-ride destinations. Norwood Central has some decent downtown density to tap; that could merit some more off-peak service. But they get that with Foxboro and get more of that if the Franklin end of the line sees extensions or branching, and that tracks with growth.

Again...your assumptions in a vacuum. Not the official quantified demographics that have been studied at length.

I know, I know. Perfect is the enemy of good enough, and all that - but if we're going to treat the Fairmount Line like a Rapid Transit Line, running off-peak rapid transit frequencies during peak hour is not "good enough," never mind perfect - every 15 minutes wouldn't be acceptable for the Red/Blue/Orange Lines (which I anticipate as moving to every 3 minutes during peak by 2030); if we're committing to the Indigo Line, it isn't acceptable here either.
DMU lines AREN'T rapid transit. Aren't. That's not what the mode does. All of these trains have to co-mingle with commuter rail and Amtrak at South Station that are on set schedules and not clock-facing. The Indigo Line isn't an Orange Line substitue; you can't get 7 minute headways on this mode unless it is total 100% isolated from the RR terminal and all crossing traffic. Which none of these lines are, and which none of these would generate ridership if they were.

Who is making this assumption that it has to be rapid transit? You are. Only you are.

For what it's worth, I'm not attached to 16 Peak TPH as a goal for the Fairmount Line (and I'd be more than happy with 8 TPH if all 8 trains were to be run local) - I haven't done the math for it to make an assertion one way or the other but if express service is still rated as the highest priority for this line I would be willing to believe that 6 xMU short-hauls + 4 longer-distance express-running commuter trains is doable and while I wouldn't be jumping for joy about every-10-minutes on the peak Fairmount Line, I'd be willing to call it "good enough."
I think it'll be plenty good enough. Fairmount has the highest OTP on the system and the most capacity to give far and away. But as I said, 10 minutes isn't possible when slots into SS aren't on an even rotation. And no one is promising that with the Indigos, so I'm not sure why that would be an expectation. Also...because of SS (and not because of Fairmount itself) there will be slight variances in the clock-facing headways. 15 minutes is an average. You will get 12 mins. some headways, you will get 18 minutes some headways. That's just how it's going to be because of the way schedules work at a major terminal. That is another reason why this is not "Rapid Transit" like Red/Orange and has no expectation of being so.

I don't think the Fairmount corridor much cares about this, because a rapid transit line is physically impossible through there. Ditto the Worcester Line DMU. It's going to be a bit more unsatisfying for Lynn, however, if this is what gets shoved on them as their forever consolation prize for never getting the Blue Line. Because it's a longer headway than rapid transit, and a more highly variable one especially at peak. But "good enough" and "transitional service" (if they really mean that) is the mode's entire purpose.

Wanting rapid transit means wanting an entirely different mode than DMU. You're asking for the wrong thing if this is supposed to be a magic bullet. It's no more a magic bullet than BRT is as a rapid transit replacement. It's a specific application for specific targets and the only alternative when none other is available, but it's never ever intended to be THE universal solvent. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

As an aside...

I really think Grand Junction is no-go for DMU's; it just can't support more than a couple TPH max with the streets it slices. The prior Worcester study had it about right. And I think this a good one for a couple Amtrak Inland Regionals or a semi-revival of of the old "State of Maine" NYC-Portland run where a limited-stop Regional turns into a limited-stop Downeaster at the North Station reverse. GJ's got plenty of passenger viability...it's just not this one specifically.

61's been discussed at length. It's a stopgap, and they aren't predicting more than 25 min. headways. With peak hours being dicey as to whether they'd even be able to swing that. It's worth doing if there's a mass DMU purchase because the vehicle requirements are so meager, but they need to tone down the over-promotion a bit. It's the niche-iest of the proposed lines by far.

Eh. I wouldn't judge the original proposal on lack of an NC station because it was clearly lacking some fleshing-out and stuck to existing stations. Kendall (which probably ain't happening) and BCEC were the only two new stations, with Riverside not really being "new" and West/New Balance already being a go. Infill studies were clearly beyond the scope of this. I would expect revisions, especially because Newton is hot for a station there, the bus transfers practically demand it, and it offsets the operating costs a little bit to displace or consolidate most/(all?) of the Pike express buses into the service.

Eh. I wouldn't judge the original proposal on lack of an NC station because it was clearly lacking some fleshing-out and stuck to existing stations. Kendall (which probably ain't happening) and BCEC were the only two new stations, with Riverside not really being "new" and West/New Balance already being a go. Infill studies were clearly beyond the scope of this. I would expect revisions, especially because Newton is hot for a station there, the bus transfers practically demand it, and it offsets the operating costs a little bit to displace or consolidate most/(all?) of the Pike express buses into the service.

Is Newton hot for a station there? I live in Newton (at the moment), where the newspaper-reading population just found out about this project through a front-page story in the Tab this past Wednesday. Nowhere did that story mention a Newton Corner station, and I haven't heard a peep about it otherwise. I think it's something the city WOULD be hot for if they understood that they could push for it, but even now I don't think it's on their radar screens. The T would probably like to keep it that way...

Interestingly, the Tab story featured State Sen. Kay Kahn (a fairly prominent name here) not only throwing her support behind DMUs, but saying she's long liked the idea of extending the Green Line to Auburndale...

Back