Reasonable Transit Pitches

Is Newton hot for a station there? I live in Newton (at the moment), where the newspaper-reading population just found out about this project through a front-page story in the Tab this past Wednesday. Nowhere did that story mention a Newton Corner station, and I haven't heard a peep about it otherwise. I think it's something the city WOULD be hot for if they understood that they could push for it, but even now I don't think it's on their radar screens. The T would probably like to keep it that way...

Interestingly, the Tab story featured State Sen. Kay Kahn (a fairly prominent name here) not only throwing her support behind DMUs, but saying she's long liked the idea of extending the Green Line to Auburndale...

Town planning docs have made mention. Mostly in a context of revitalizing Corner with a tamed rotary, un-fucked Pike interchange, and more multimodal bent. They've got the information to pounce quick here and vouch for a stop now.

Green isn't extending to Auburndale. They can't get the DMU's into Riverside if the Green Line eats up all the track space on the connector; the ROW isn't wide enough. And the 2 Pike bridges it passes through are 2-track only. Give 'em a local bus up Grove St. and some improved bike access on that half-mile stroll between stops. It doesn't traverse busy streets.

Town planning docs have made mention. Mostly in a context of revitalizing Corner with a tamed rotary, un-fucked Pike interchange, and more multimodal bent. They've got the information to pounce quick here and vouch for a stop now.

Green isn't extending to Auburndale. They can't get the DMU's into Riverside if the Green Line eats up all the track space on the connector; the ROW isn't wide enough. And the 2 Pike bridges it passes through are 2-track only. Give 'em a local bus up Grove St. and some improved bike access on that half-mile stroll between stops. It doesn't traverse busy streets.

I'll do a quick search for those documents, but I had never seen it studied. I'm actually thinking about writing into the Tab to get the idea in peoples' heads.

I in no way was suggesting Green to Auburndale was a viable idea. I know it isn't. I just thought it was interesting that Sen. Kahn had paid a little attention to such ideas. In any case, she supported it because it would build in a Green/CR transfer that will happen at Riverside under a DMU proposal.

Clearly the best way to get the Green Line to Auburndale is to extend the B line up Commonwealth Avenue. On a good day, it might take less than two hours to get to Park Street!

I'll do a quick search for those documents, but I had never seen it studied. I'm actually thinking about writing into the Tab to get the idea in peoples' heads.

I in no way was suggesting Green to Auburndale was a viable idea. I know it isn't. I just thought it was interesting that Sen. Kahn had paid a little attention to such ideas.

Here's a few pics of the Worcester Line-Riverside connector when it was temporarily rigged up as a Type 8 test track. You can see how impossible cramming more tracks is with the available space:

In the yard (Riverside DMU platform would start pretty much where the cameraman is standing and run behind him; layover mini-yard space for the DMU's would be on the left track + whatever other stubs they can cram here): http://sery2831.smugmug.com/Transit/3612-After-the-Wreck/i-fcVWtSN/A

Merging out of the yard onto the connector: http://sery2831.smugmug.com/Transit/3612-After-the-Wreck/i-chnWBdX/A

Looking back into the yard (GL platform is dead ahead on the left track, so DMU platform would go up along the fence nearly cross-platform from the GL platforms): http://sery2831.smugmug.com/Transit/3612-After-the-Wreck/i-HNzwMnj/A

On the connector (Charles River down a steep embankment past left-side fence): http://sery2831.smugmug.com/Transit/3612-After-the-Wreck/i-gzb8Xz4/A

On the connector: http://sery2831.smugmug.com/Transit/3612-After-the-Wreck/i-DPcmqwK/A

Worcester Line merge (view from connector): http://sery2831.smugmug.com/Transit/3612-After-the-Wreck/i-srx3sF2/A

Worcester Line merge (view from Worcester Line at edge of abandoned 1970's Riverside CR platform): http://sery2831.smugmug.com/Transit/3612-After-the-Wreck/i-kLCPQjs/A

Multiple units to Foxborough? Really? At 15-minute headways? The whole point of DMUs is that you trade capacity/train for frequency. They are useful only when demand is fairly flat - corridors which only see peaked service for commuters will be better served by high capacities at scheduled infrequent departures. Fairmount and Riverside are semi-urban corridors with relatively constant density to their respective termini. Foxborough is a string of medium-sized town centers with minimal demand other than commuting to Boston. Not a good DMU market, in 2030 or ever.

I disagree with the assessment as far as Dedham and Norwood are concerned.

Between Norwood and Foxboro there's a whole lot of nothing, but sending them through to Foxboro is more of a matter of scheduling convenience relative to trying to turn trains on a regular basis in Norwood Central.

All services see peaked service to a certain extent. Running 16 (or 12, or 10, or 8) TPH at peak hour doesn't mean we're stuck running 16 TPH at all times.

I'm not certain what you mean by "exceptionally bad placement." Do you mean that they're single track stations with awful platforms abutting the highway lanes?

Yes.

The actual amount of shelter provided from the highway is, honestly, pathetic.

Well, that's the problem, CBS. You won't believe anything except your own presumptions whether there's 200 pages of official documentation saying otherwise or not. There's no reasoning with that if real data can't ever puncture your bubble of what things should be/must be.

Just because an 'official' study was conducted and now data concerning that study is committed to documentation doesn't mean that you or I or anyone else can't take issue with any part of that study.

In this case, since the study never had rapid transit levels of service as the goal, I am here taking objection to that. I think if you conduct an official study based on a flawed or incomplete hypothesis, then your methodology is flawed and therefore the study itself has flaws.

I can't conduct studies as one person to determine what the actual impacts and benefits of running 8+ local peak hour TPH over Fairmount would be. What I can do is the math to make an initial assertion that there's no technical barriers to doing it based on reasonable assumptions about rolling stock that hasn't been procured yet, make an assertion based on community attitudes that 8 TPH is something they would very much like to have, and call for an official study to either confirm what I'm asserting or confirm that I'm wrong based on data procured with the actual goal being to answer the question I asked, as opposed to data from prior studies asking and answering unrelated questions - like Fairmount Corridor initiatives that weren't undertaken with xMUs in mind.

There will never be xMU's on the Franklin Line or Framingham Secondary. That is the primary southside freight clearance route to Boston and from Worcester-Framingham to the South Coast, will always have less-efficient boarding low platforms because of that, and will always have pretty wide stop spacing sticking to almost entirely 9-5 residential and park-and-ride destinations. Norwood Central has some decent downtown density to tap; that could merit some more off-peak service. But they get that with Foxboro and get more of that if the Franklin end of the line sees extensions or branching, and that tracks with growth.

Again...your assumptions in a vacuum. Not the official quantified demographics that have been studied at length.

What are the actual obstacles to running freight trains through high-level platforming tracks? They manage it in New Haven just fine, I've watched it happen in person before.

DMU lines AREN'T rapid transit. Aren't. That's not what the mode does. All of these trains have to co-mingle with commuter rail and Amtrak at South Station that are on set schedules and not clock-facing. The Indigo Line isn't an Orange Line substitue; you can't get 7 minute headways on this mode unless it is total 100% isolated from the RR terminal and all crossing traffic. Which none of these lines are, and which none of these would generate ridership if they were.

Who is making this assumption that it has to be rapid transit? You are. Only you are.

It's a reasonable assumption to make when the plan is marketing itself as transitional to full rapid transit or as a replacement to a dedicated rapid transit corridor that the corridor operates to a certain degree as full rapid transit.

And I'm not the only person making the assumption that Fairmount needs rapid transit or an approximation of rapid transit. The community and the advocacy groups that have sprung up around Fairmount Indigo want an approximation of rapid transit, too.

10 minutes during the peak is "good enough" - it's transitional, it's transformative - but it isn't rapid transit.

I think it'll be plenty good enough. Fairmount has the highest OTP on the system and the most capacity to give far and away. But as I said, 10 minutes isn't possible when slots into SS aren't on an even rotation. And no one is promising that with the Indigos, so I'm not sure why that would be an expectation. Also...because of SS (and not because of Fairmount itself) there will be slight variances in the clock-facing headways. 15 minutes is an average. You will get 12 mins. some headways, you will get 18 minutes some headways. That's just how it's going to be because of the way schedules work at a major terminal. That is another reason why this is not "Rapid Transit" like Red/Orange and has no expectation of being so.

I don't think the Fairmount corridor much cares about this, because a rapid transit line is physically impossible through there. Ditto the Worcester Line DMU. It's going to be a bit more unsatisfying for Lynn, however, if this is what gets shoved on them as their forever consolation prize for never getting the Blue Line. Because it's a longer headway than rapid transit, and a more highly variable one especially at peak. But "good enough" and "transitional service" (if they really mean that) is the mode's entire purpose.

Wanting rapid transit means wanting an entirely different mode than DMU. You're asking for the wrong thing if this is supposed to be a magic bullet. It's no more a magic bullet than BRT is as a rapid transit replacement. It's a specific application for specific targets and the only alternative when none other is available, but it's never ever intended to be THE universal solvent. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

If Indigo isn't good enough for Lynn, it's not good enough for Fairmount. That's my problem. We agree that it isn't good enough for Lynn.

Rapid transit through Fairmount is not physically impossible. Rapid Transit through Fairmount is also not fiscally impossible/imprudent/extreme. I don't think it's worthwhile to do so when the line as it is today could more than easily support 12, 16, 20, even 24 TPH if everything runs local on it; but we know enough about what's under South Station and the terminal approach tracks to make converting the entire Fairmount Line post-DMU enhancements into a Red Line branch only a matter of severing the Franklin Line's connection to it, electrifying it, and tunneling it into South Station Under from around Newmarket. That would wreak absolute havoc on the Franklin Line and buys us nothing that we couldn't have today already, but it's doable in the universe where xMU emphatically isn't rapid transit and can never, ever, ever be run like rapid transit. (Fortunately, I remain convinced that we don't live in that universe, and we can run this service like rapid transit without going full-bore Red Line.)

Tunneling it into the Rail Link instead would also be more than doable (assuming we can ever get the damn thing built); if you still want to see 2 Rail Link tracks dedicated to rapid transit, here's one half of the ready-built rapid transit corridor utilizing the Link. The other half is probably Woburn.

And I'm fairly certain one of the promises and selling points of SS expansion is that it would enable the platforms to be segregated on the dispatching side in such a way that Fairmount could be given dedicated platforms and pushed out of the terminal on a clock-facing schedule without being disrupted by (or disrupting) the segregated NEC/Worcester tracks. If we can't dedicate Tracks 1-6 for the Worcester Line, 7-12 for the NEC, and 13/14 for Fairmount when expanded SS has 18+ tracks, then that's one of the only real reasons to focus on expanding it invalidated. A sizable portion of the existing problem is born out of existing peak hour operations on the NEC and to some extent on Worcester overwhelming and crowding out the limited track space available - partly because trains are forced to layover on the platform and partly because of the tremendous volume of NEC and Worcester traffic. Expanding yard capacity solves one of those problems just fine; if SS expansion doesn't solve the other then there's no reason to actually do it.

Eh. I wouldn't judge the original proposal on lack of an NC station because it was clearly lacking some fleshing-out and stuck to existing stations. Kendall (which probably ain't happening) and BCEC were the only two new stations, with Riverside not really being "new" and West/New Balance already being a go. Infill studies were clearly beyond the scope of this. I would expect revisions, especially because Newton is hot for a station there, the bus transfers practically demand it, and it offsets the operating costs a little bit to displace or consolidate most/(all?) of the Pike express buses into the service.

If West Station is really New Balance Presents Our Focus Groups Cannot Agree On A Name For This Station, where does that leave "Allston/Brighton" Station?

West station is something else, it would be in Beacon Park. It's Fred Salvucci's baby for the last several decades.

Why not just call it Beacon Park, then?

West Station is a place holder name (although a long term place holder name) as far as I can tell. Beacon Park might end up the final, or Mastercard Presents Beacon Park.

If they want to run DMUs through the grand junction, then what about sending some worcester trains that way instead? I know it's been studied before, but this could help relieve some of the capacity issues at SS and would be a good precursor to eventual DMU or potentially light rail/urban ring service in the distant future.

If they did run some Worcester trains to North Station, could there be a station built in Cambridge for red line transfers? Cambridge doesn't really "win" here public transit wise if they aren't getting full fledged DMU service or at the very least some CR trains from Worcester, but it would ease people into regular service returning on the Grand Junction and would be less of a pain traffic wise with all those grade crossings.

If they want to run DMUs through the grand junction, then what about sending some worcester trains that way instead? I know it's been studied before, but this could help relieve some of the capacity issues at SS and would be a good precursor to eventual DMU or potentially light rail/urban ring service in the distant future.

If they did run some Worcester trains to North Station, could there be a station built in Cambridge for red line transfers? Cambridge doesn't really "win" here public transit wise if they aren't getting full fledged DMU service or at the very least some CR trains from Worcester, but it would ease people into regular service returning on the Grand Junction and would be less of a pain traffic wise with all those grade crossings.

I haven't done the math and don't have all of the relevant figures to assert what the exact capacity of the Grand Junction is. 4 TPH was a guess.

Most of its grade crossings are over critical streets, double tracking it requires enough additional real estate in Cambridge that I'm hesitant to press for it (and if you know anything about how gung-ho I tend to be on land acquisition, that's really saying something...) and even finding space for passing sidings is a challenge.

In all honesty, I'm not even sure 4 TPH is doable in spite of the fact that I guessed 4 TPH earlier. Most of the grade crossings here probably need to be separated - Cambridge is likely every bit as hilariously terrified of ELEVATED RAILWAYS as Boston is, which means the least-painful solution is off the table.

2 Peak TPH from the Worcester Line (1 local, 1 express) plus 2 off-peak TPH (half of Riverside's 4 DMUs) is asking a lot, but I'm going to guess that it's technically feasible.

Just because an 'official' study was conducted and now data concerning that study is committed to documentation doesn't mean that you or I or anyone else can't take issue with any part of that study.

But...if you are disputing data, you have to substantiate your position with your own. Intensity of belief doesn't cut it. If the experts produce reams of data saying this is possible, that it's fine, that it's surplus to requirement for the demand forcast...you can't just say "That's crap...you're wrong...build this because I say so." It doesn't work that way. And if it ever did, you still have to explain how you plan to get elected Planning God.

In this case, since the study never had rapid transit levels of service as the goal, I am here taking objection to that. I think if you conduct an official study based on a flawed or incomplete hypothesis, then your methodology is flawed and therefore the study itself has flaws.
See my South Station intermixing explanation. What part of that is unclear? You can't run full rapid transit headways on the commuter rail system to a union station that mixes every manner of schedule from a clock-facing DMU to conventional commuter rail to conventional Amtrak to HSR from close to 20 different service patterns on common lead tracks. Can't. Physically impossible. Boston's hub-and-spoke RR lines are not set up that way, can't be remade into something different. What you want is not what a DMU line into a conventional union station is supposed to do.

If you are disputing the data, you are disputing the entire purpose and mechanics of the Indigo Lines and the network they run on. You want an entirely different mode than DMU. Your beef is not with the "studies". Your beef is that it's not a Red Line branch.

Can't help you there. It's not a Red Line branch. No magic wand's going to turn it into a Red Line branch.

I can't conduct studies as one person to determine what the actual impacts and benefits of running 8+ local peak hour TPH over Fairmount would be. What I can do is the math to make an initial assertion that there's no technical barriers to doing it based on reasonable assumptions about rolling stock that hasn't been procured yet, make an assertion based on community attitudes that 8 TPH is something they would very much like to have, and call for an official study to either confirm what I'm asserting or confirm that I'm wrong based on data procured with the actual goal being to answer the question I asked, as opposed to data from prior studies asking and answering unrelated questions - like Fairmount Corridor initiatives that weren't undertaken with xMUs in mind.
Show us your math, then. You're not doing that. All you're saying is that you believe harder than the studies. It's not enough to say "8 TPH". You have to show WHY that figure is important and what actual demand it serves that the studies don't.

This is not a contest to see who believes hardest. If you refuse to accept the possibility that the data is accurate or in the ballpark and let that moderate your urgency, then you have to account for the difference in urgency with some empirical data. That doesn't require commissioning your own million-dollar study. It means stepping back from this purely emotional argument you're making and working from some knowns, not beliefs.

You're not doing that. At all. On any of these rants.

What are the actual obstacles to running freight trains through high-level platforming tracks? They manage it in New Haven just fine, I've watched it happen in person before.
Standard-size tankers, boxcars, hoppers, etc. can fit through a full-high just fine. So can low trailers that hold shipping cubes, so long as the platform has an underhang the trailer can slip under. Sizes go by "Plate" classification (Wikipedia's got an article on it, but I don't quite grasp some of the more esoteric details). Middleboro Line, Route 128 station, and Eastern Route in Lynn have large amounts of weekly freight passing through the full-highs, and Fairmount is fully cleared for Southie port containers.

However, the wide-load freight that comes in on the gigantic intermodal trains from Albany which continue in much lesser numbers to Framingham on the Worcester Line get some of those bigger cars (whatever "Plate" designation those are). And then thru-routes some of them in further diluted quantities to Readville and Middleboro Yards. Therefore the Franklin Line, Framingham Secondary, Middleboro Secondary, and NEC Mansfield-Attleboro are designated clearance routes. The only full-highs allowed are the ones with passing tracks, like Anderson on the Lowell Line, or Worcester Union Station, what Mansfield and Taunton Depot are scheduled to get, or what Foxboro might get. When no space is available--and there isn't on the Franklin Line--the only alternatives are mini-highs or gauntlet tracks. Gauntlets have to be used sparingly--usually if there's only a one-station blocker on the whole line--because they force a speed restriction, are difficult to maintain, and carry slightly elevated derailment risk that you really don't want around a platform. The only gauntlet planned on a New England commuter rail line is T.F. Green station on the current platform track for P&W to get by with its autoracks from Port of Davisville...but only if Amtrak picks it up as a full-time stop and all the station tracks get platformed.

Otherwise, it all requires mini-high platforms with a special collapsible platform edge, like this one at Westborough station:

P1120133.jpg

When the freight train approaches, it stops at the station and a crew member hops out to flip a trap door level that collapses the edge. Train passes platform, crew member resets the edge, hops back on. Rinse, repeat at the next station. This can't be done on full-highs because they're too long to support the weight of a collapsible edge, allow for the crew to work the edge, or accommodate any form of shifting edge if there's so much as 1 degree of curve on the platform. Therefore, you'll never see a full-high on a freight clearance route unless there's a passing track. Foxboro may get one, but there's no way to modify all 10 affected Franklin stations for that when the line was never more than 2 track.

Also...consider the stop moves that have to be made at each station to flip the platform. That's fine for Franklin which only gets at most 2 off-peak freight round trips per day, and has wide stop spacing. But you can't exactly pack it full of stops every half-mile before a freight train starts clogging up the line. Caveat for any Lowell DMU enthusiasts with a jones for going infill-crazy. And someday when the Worcester Line hits mega utilization on its outer half they're going to have to tri-track through Ashland, Southborough, Westborough, and Grafton stations and bypass Framingham behind the station to keep those wide-load Framingham freights cruising through at 60 MPH instead of having to stop and flip the platform levers.

This restriction can't be bargained away. CSX is by-law granted perpetual rights for wide freights under legacy agreements, including the terms of sale when the state originally bought the Franklin Line. These are protected by full force of interstate commerce laws and can't be forced, eminent domained, intimidated...whatever...from their cold dead hands. Only CSX can voluntarily decide to abdicate a clearance route, like they have now with the Worcester Line east of Framingham. But that's not going to happen here because this is the last entry-point into Boston for those cars, and the state reaffirmed that Franklin + Framingham Secondary were not only protected routes but that they'd get state assistance for future upgrades.

It's a reasonable assumption to make when the plan is marketing itself as transitional to full rapid transit or as a replacement to a dedicated rapid transit corridor that the corridor operates to a certain degree as full rapid transit.
Then you completely misunderstood the very detailed explanation I gave of what the DMU mode is and why it can't. That is not a reasonable assumption. If you want to claim that in the face of operational reality, it's denial. Pure and simple.

And I'm not the only person making the assumption that Fairmount needs rapid transit or an approximation of rapid transit. The community and the advocacy groups that have sprung up around Fairmount Indigo want an approximation of rapid transit, too.
"Approximation". As in, there is no corridor for building rapid transit so 15 minutes is the best that's achievable sharing South Station.

10 minutes during the peak is "good enough" - it's transitional, it's transformative - but it isn't rapid transit.
No, it isn't rapid transit. Because nobody said it was supposed to be. Except apparently you. See above and above and above.

If Indigo isn't good enough for Lynn, it's not good enough for Fairmount. That's my problem. We agree that it isn't good enough for Lynn.
Then what's the solution? Fairmount can't get the Red Line. The corridor's needed for freight because the economy's dependent on growth of Port of Southie, and it can't be expanded beyond 2 tracks north of Cummins Hwy. without taking houses. Which clearly is not good or acceptable for Dorchester.

Does it HAVE to be one linear line? How about 15 min. headways boosted with more frequent east-west buses hitting these stations...or the Urban Ring dinging Newmarket? Dorchester isn't this thin linear strip. Fairmounties need to get east and west in large quantities too with the humongous density of the neighborhood. I would argue they'd be more displeased with too hyper-focus on making Fairmount unsurmountably perfect if that drew too much oxygen away from the need for much more robust E-W Yellow Line service crossing the neighborhood and transferring at these stations.

Rapid transit through Fairmount is not physically impossible. Rapid Transit through Fairmount is also not fiscally impossible/imprudent/extreme. I don't think it's worthwhile to do so when the line as it is today could more than easily support 12, 16, 20, even 24 TPH if everything runs local on it; but we know enough about what's under South Station and the terminal approach tracks to make converting the entire Fairmount Line post-DMU enhancements into a Red Line branch only a matter of severing the Franklin Line's connection to it, electrifying it, and tunneling it into South Station Under from around Newmarket. That would wreak absolute havoc on the Franklin Line and buys us nothing that we couldn't have today already, but it's doable in the universe where xMU emphatically isn't rapid transit and can never, ever, ever be run like rapid transit. (Fortunately, I remain convinced that we don't live in that universe, and we can run this service like rapid transit without going full-bore Red Line.)
No, it can't. It is impossible. Move on.

Tunneling it into the Rail Link instead would also be more than doable (assuming we can ever get the damn thing built); if you still want to see 2 Rail Link tracks dedicated to rapid transit, here's one half of the ready-built rapid transit corridor utilizing the Link. The other half is probably Woburn.
No, it can't. Because you can't get HRT down the Fairmount corridor in Dorchester. And the existence of the Link does not automatically turn the commuter rail into a rapid transit system either; the same intermixing of disparate services on disparate headways happens below as above.

Move on.

And I'm fairly certain one of the promises and selling points of SS expansion is that it would enable the platforms to be segregated on the dispatching side in such a way that Fairmount could be given dedicated platforms and pushed out of the terminal on a clock-facing schedule without being disrupted by (or disrupting) the segregated NEC/Worcester tracks. If we can't dedicate Tracks 1-6 for the Worcester Line, 7-12 for the NEC, and 13/14 for Fairmount when expanded SS has 18+ tracks, then that's one of the only real reasons to focus on expanding it invalidated. A sizable portion of the existing problem is born out of existing peak hour operations on the NEC and to some extent on Worcester overwhelming and crowding out the limited track space available - partly because trains are forced to layover on the platform and partly because of the tremendous volume of NEC and Worcester traffic. Expanding yard capacity solves one of those problems just fine; if SS expansion doesn't solve the other then there's no reason to actually do it.
You're missing the point. SS expansion eliminates the platform conflicts. It lessens some of the entrypoint conflicts. It does not eliminate them all when the same lines have to share and cross over on the same lead tracks. Fairmount still crosses Southampton Yard and Widett Circle, and still has a platform spread on the Dot Ave. side that'll occasionally cross an Old Colony movement. The studies says 15 minutes is the best guarantee at 2030 volumes in the expanded station. They could push it a little further, but at cost of the headways being more variable and less consistent.

It is NOT rapid transit. Neither would it be rapid transit through the Link when it shares a 2-track tunnel with the Old Colony for nearly a mile and will have to cede a little bit of priority at the 4-track merge with the NEC for all the greater traffic coming through that tunnel.

If you think this is rapid transit or should be rapid transit, you misunderstand what this mode is.

I haven't done the math and don't have all of the relevant figures to assert what the exact capacity of the Grand Junction is. 4 TPH was a guess.

Most of its grade crossings are over critical streets, double tracking it requires enough additional real estate in Cambridge that I'm hesitant to press for it (and if you know anything about how gung-ho I tend to be on land acquisition, that's really saying something...) and even finding space for passing sidings is a challenge.

In all honesty, I'm not even sure 4 TPH is doable in spite of the fact that I guessed 4 TPH earlier. Most of the grade crossings here probably need to be separated - Cambridge is likely every bit as hilariously terrified of ELEVATED RAILWAYS as Boston is, which means the least-painful solution is off the table.

2 Peak TPH from the Worcester Line (1 local, 1 express) plus 2 off-peak TPH (half of Riverside's 4 DMUs) is asking a lot, but I'm going to guess that it's technically feasible.

Here's the Worcester-Grand Junction study: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/17/docs/grandjunction/WGJFinalReport.pdf

I guess the Cliffs Notes key points from it are:
-- p. 14, Cambridge destinations of Worcester Line riders from MBTA rider survey of Worcester Line commuters. Except for modest preference for Kendall endpoints as you'd expect, there is basically zero pull towards any other particular Cambridge destination. So arguably there is nothing gained by a GJ routing that gives them no direct Red Line transfer. Harvard destinations might actually be best served by just Newton Corner + a 71 extension. As some degree of Newton residents (though hardly significant) were surveyed I don't know if their mass inclusion really changes it too much. It's probably escalated Kendall demand, and then every other Cambridge destination breaks out even with no one area favoring demand.

-- p. 15, top Cambridge destinations of all Northside riders. Slight Kendall bias as expected, but much like the Worcester survey the spread of other destinations is so diffuse they need the Red Line more than they need the GJ. This actually looks more like an argument for finishing Green to Porter and making Red access to Cambridge a little easier from NS than transfering at Park or DTX.

-- p. 30, peak hour car counts by direction at each grade crossing. One word: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

-- p. 32-33, peak hour traffic counts at all intersections near the crossings. If p. 30 didn't leave you discouraged enough.

-- p. 34-38, ped and bike counts at the crossings.

-- p. 57, service plans for each of the 8 study alternatives. Includes trains per day, line speed, and whether there would be a Kendall intermediate stop build. The max number of trains per day they specced is 12.

-- p. 60, travel time to North Station and Kendall on Grand Junction vs. Red from SS or Orange from BBY. Lots of savings to Kendall as expected, but nearly break-even on the Orange dance to North Station. That's a big strike against the DMU with transfer time a wash vs. taking the subway instead to pick it up at BBY or SS.

-- p. 62, crossing gate timings for Mass Ave. and Main assuming 30 MPH track and no stops. I don't think losing 1 minute to the gates for every 15 min. headway DMU x 2 directions is going to fly. Just a hunch.

-- p. 65, ridership range for the build options.

-- p. 67, time lost to ped/bike traffic at the grade crossings

-- p. 70-71, time lost to car traffic at the grade crossings @ 2035 volumes

The only thing that looks good for the Worcester-NS service is that upgrading the GJ priced out dirt cheap. Except they kind of lowballed the Kendall station costs, since you know that's going to get tarted up to excess. And this didn't include any Amtrak considerations, so $45M for a few Worcester rush hours and an intercity hook that adds a new dimension to the NEC network and possibly Downeaster ain't bad. That'll pay for itself in a few years, especially if Amtrak's willing to vouch for a little stimulus grant to kick it off.

But ye gods...there will never be a DMU trawling that line with those traffic impacts. And eliminating the crossings is impossible. Neither tracks no roads can elevate or depress fast enough to pass above/below at any of these stops. There's no possibility for that unless the Urban Ring replaces the RR and lets a trolley climb a steep incline over Mass Ave.

Would Urban Ring trolleys on the GJ need to be grade separated? Could they just cross at-grade with traffic signals?

Would Urban Ring trolleys on the GJ need to be grade separated? Could they just cross at-grade with traffic signals?

Yeah. They can do the crossings. And because of the MIT air rights overhead they'd have to do the crossing at Main. Which sort of makes it pointless to separate Broadway. But Mass Ave. can definitely get an overpass with the steeper grades trolleys can climb. More easily than on BRT. The others wouldn't be worth an elimination, but they'd be able to solve the single worst one and relegate Main/Broadway to high outlier status instead of 3 in a row.

But also figure...on a trolley a simple traffic light can control the crossings, since all are at or near intersections and can be tied into a signal cycle. You wouldn't have to deal with the lag time of gates dropping and lifting, much less the FRA regulations stipulating how much time they remain down before passing. So the queues themselves are hugely shorter during a train slot.

BTW...they would not be able to run time-separated trolleys on the GJ during the daytime and freight + non-revenue moves at night. The rail profile of rapid transit is different from RR, so it would be derailment-city if you ever tried to run a Breda down there. Plus RR equipment won't clear the trolley overhead. They found that out the hard way in the '96 flood when they ran the commuter rail shuttle to Riverside for a few days straight into the yard to bypass the closed Green Line. They had to cut down a couple hundred feet of yard wire to get the train in close enough to board. So...nope...no ingenious FRA exemptions here either. If the DMU can't handle it, there'll be nothing frequent down it until the line is outright cannibalized for the UR. Which of course has its own thorny CR ops issues if the only north-south connector inside of I-190 goes.

The only thing that looks good for the Worcester-NS service is that upgrading the GJ priced out dirt cheap. Except they kind of lowballed the Kendall station costs, since you know that's going to get tarted up to excess. And this didn't include any Amtrak considerations, so $45M for a few Worcester rush hours and an intercity hook that adds a new dimension to the NEC network and possibly Downeaster ain't bad. That'll pay for itself in a few years, especially if Amtrak's willing to vouch for a little stimulus grant to kick it off.

I'll buy Inland Route service to North Station in the absence of the Link and because Amtrak already has operations there - but I'm not seeing what Amtrak actually gains from operating Downeaster service to NYC via Boston.

The fact that it Boston-Grand Junction introduces an end change and directional reverse on the platforms in NS isn't really relevant because in all likelihood the train needs to either back into the platforms at Worcester, or bypass Worcester entirely as it moves from the Worcester-Ayer tracks to the Inland Route towards Spingfield, (or Amtrak needs to build a platform exclusively serving the tracks to Ayer), but pulling into Boston is/should be seen as a rather unattractive detour for Portland-NYC service.

In terms of using the Inland Route to continue Downeaster trains to NYC, via Worcester is strictly speaking less route-miles-traveled over going via Boston and the Grand Junction - you "lose" Woburn-Inland Route and Framingham-Downeaster Route as potential single seat rides (both stations still see regular Amtrak service into and out of Boston on the Downeaster Route and Inland Route respectively) but you pick up service to Lowell in either direction, which is probably a fair trade for the aforementioned potential single-seat rides (both of which are still possible with transfers). I can't assert how much track upgrading would need to happen over the relevant connections but I would hazard a reasonable guess that Haverhill-Lowell-Worcester ends up slighly faster than Haverhill-Boston-Worcester given the lower route-miles.

But ye gods...there will never be a DMU trawling that line with those traffic impacts. And eliminating the crossings is impossible. Neither tracks no roads can elevate or depress fast enough to pass above/below at any of these stops. There's no possibility for that unless the Urban Ring replaces the RR and lets a trolley climb a steep incline over Mass Ave.

Before I respond to this more comprehensively, do you agree that the maximum permissible sustained grade for fully powered DMU consists is 3%, suggested as realistic under the Sonoma-Marin DMU technical specifications and identified as the point before which grades are not considered to be 'steep' in the FasTracks Commuter Rail Steep Grade Preliminary Hazards Analysis?

If not, where do you draw the line as far as maximum permissible sustained grade?

I'll buy Inland Route service to North Station in the absence of the Link and because Amtrak already has operations there - but I'm not seeing what Amtrak actually gains from operating Downeaster service to NYC via Boston.

The fact that it Boston-Grand Junction introduces an end change and directional reverse on the platforms in NS isn't really relevant because in all likelihood the train needs to either back into the platforms at Worcester, or bypass Worcester entirely as it moves from the Worcester-Ayer tracks to the Inland Route towards Spingfield, (or Amtrak needs to build a platform exclusively serving the tracks to Ayer), but pulling into Boston is/should be seen as a rather unattractive detour for Portland-NYC service.

In terms of using the Inland Route to continue Downeaster trains to NYC, via Worcester is strictly speaking less route-miles-traveled over going via Boston and the Grand Junction - you "lose" Woburn-Inland Route and Framingham-Downeaster Route as potential single seat rides (both stations still see regular Amtrak service into and out of Boston on the Downeaster Route and Inland Route respectively) but you pick up service to Lowell in either direction, which is probably a fair trade for the aforementioned potential single-seat rides (both of which are still possible with transfers). I can't assert how much track upgrading would need to happen over the relevant connections but I would hazard a reasonable guess that Haverhill-Lowell-Worcester ends up slighly faster than Haverhill-Boston-Worcester given the lower route-miles.

NNEPRA is the one pushing for NYC-Portland, so that particular service is Maine-driven and not really a Massachusetts or Amtrak project (other than as a state-sponsored route Amtrak would run it if the subsidy is there and the Inlands are already covered). The old "State of Maine" service did skip Boston entirely by going Worcester-->Ayer-->Lowell-->Andover, then on the normal route. But Pan Am's Worcester Branch, Stony Brook Branch, and Lowell Branch are in no shape for passenger traffic so quickest path to jump-starting such a service is the Grand Junction + NS reverse.

MA's interest in supporting it would more be dragging some Regionals into NS, getting a few NS Worcesters on its coattails, and baiting some Lowell Line speed improvements serving an ever-expanding Downeaster schedule. Not specifically NYC-Maine and what the state would reap from that. Whatever Maine wants to do with subsidizing an NYC-Portland single-ticket run really isn't our deal. From MassDOT's subsidy standpoint it's just another ho-hum Regional slot gain + a Downeaster slot gain. The combined schedule and single-ticket thru run is a cosmetic difference that's NNEPRA's to coordinate.

I haven't been following the various discussions on RR.net about all things Maine passenger too closely, but this is a 'thing' that's getting talked about at NNEPRA meetings.

Before I respond to this more comprehensively, do you agree that the maximum permissible sustained grade for fully powered DMU consists is 3%, suggested as realistic under the Sonoma-Marin DMU technical specifications and identified as the point before which grades are not considered to be 'steep' in the FasTracks Commuter Rail Steep Grade Preliminary Hazards Analysis?

If not, where do you draw the line as far as maximum permissible sustained grade?
The grades have to be the same as any common-carrier RR equipment, so the DMU's allow for no additional differences. Because there's a daily freight schedule on the GJ in addition to all manner of T and Amtrak non-revenue moves. As well as emergency moves for crippled commuter rail equipment to BET, so you have to consider what a steep grade is going to do to coaches or locos with balky wheels being gingerly escorted to the shop. For all those reasons it has to stay within current tolerances. The FRA regs have a list of exceptions 10 miles long for various special cases and all kinds of legacy lines, so it's a lot like the interstate highway regs in being bendable. And vehicle design generally exceeds track tolerances by fair margin, so the Sonoma-Marin specs are consistent with that (plus who knows what the grades are on that retrofitted legacy line). Where they're going to get grumpy is introducing beyond-tolerance grades on new construction like a grade separation. There has to be a really, really airtight reason it must be so from lack of alternatives. The FRA can easily say "go sink Mass Ave. under the tracks instead". And then it's no longer a transit project but an expensive-ass MassHighway project.

It kind of doesn't matter here, though. 2%, 3%...Mass Ave. is a state highway so the elevation over the road has to be 16 ft. And there's only 360 ft. of runup before the tracks pass under the overhang on the MIT power plant, so an incline over the road is moot on anything other than a trolley. And as a freight route to Everett Terminal they're going to need quite a lot more than 16 ft. on a rail underpass, which ups the expense to the point where you've really got to consider whether trenching the thing is worth the cost vs. just building the Urban Ring already. The convergence in $$$ between doing that on a not-nearly rapid transit DMU and outright flipping the mode to LRT takes all the upside away from force-fitting the RR.

NNEPRA is the one pushing for NYC-Portland, so that particular service is Maine-driven and not really a Massachusetts or Amtrak project (other than as a state-sponsored route Amtrak would run it if the subsidy is there and the Inlands are already covered). The old "State of Maine" service did skip Boston entirely by going Worcester-->Ayer-->Lowell-->Andover, then on the normal route. But Pan Am's Worcester Branch, Stony Brook Branch, and Lowell Branch are in no shape for passenger traffic so quickest path to jump-starting such a service is the Grand Junction + NS reverse.

MA's interest in supporting it would more be dragging some Regionals into NS, getting a few NS Worcesters on its coattails, and baiting some Lowell Line speed improvements serving an ever-expanding Downeaster schedule. Not specifically NYC-Maine and what the state would reap from that. Whatever Maine wants to do with subsidizing an NYC-Portland single-ticket run really isn't our deal. From MassDOT's subsidy standpoint it's just another ho-hum Regional slot gain + a Downeaster slot gain. The combined schedule and single-ticket thru run is a cosmetic difference that's NNEPRA's to coordinate.

I haven't been following the various discussions on RR.net about all things Maine passenger too closely, but this is a 'thing' that's getting talked about at NNEPRA meetings.

I don't buy that MassDOT has zero interest in how the Downeaster makes it through MA en route to NYC beyond what it's going to cost them/us particularly considering that MassDOT has a tremendous interest in serving MA passengers and is almost certainly going to be more engaged in the routing process because of that. "We" / MassDOT / Massachusetts stands to gain something they wouldn't have otherwise from the Worcester-Lowell-Haverhill routing - I don't know how much value is actually tied up in potentially being able to move people across the 495 corridor that way, but it's at least worth looking at on a level beyond "this costs us more than that, forget it."

The grades have to be the same as any common-carrier RR equipment, so the DMU's allow for no additional differences. Because there's a daily freight schedule on the GJ in addition to all manner of T and Amtrak non-revenue moves (as well as emergency moves or crippled commuter rail equipment to BET), it has to stay within current tolerances. The FRA regs have a list of exceptions 10 miles long for various special cases and all kinds of legacy lines, so it's a lot like the interstate highway regs in being bendable. And vehicle design generally exceeds tolerances, so the Sonoma-Marin specs are consistent with that (plus who knows what the grades are on that old-timey line. Where they're going to get grumpy is on new-construction stuff.

It kind of doesn't matter here, though. 2%, 3%...Mass Ave. is a state highway so the elevation over the road has to be 16 ft. And there's only 360 ft. of runup before the tracks pass under the overhang on the MIT power plant, so an incline over the road is moot on anything other than a trolley. And as a freight route to Everett Terminal they're going to need quite a lot more than 16 ft. on a rail underpass, which ups the expense to the point where you've really got to consider whether trenching the thing is worth the cost vs. just building the Urban Ring already. The convergence in $$$ between doing that on a not-nearly rapid transit DMU and outright flipping the mode to LRT takes all the upside away from force-fitting the RR.

You're forgetting that there's two moving components here and we can adjust the elevation on either or both of them.

Mass Ave (as a state highway) can be permitted to experience a grade of as much as 8% - but we only need 4% and 400 feet of running room on either side to get it 16 feet under the tracks. If you're able to sustain a 2% grade over the 360 feet of running room on the Grand Junction, then you're already 7.2 feet above pavement and the Mass Ave 'dip' only needs 160 feet of running room at a 5.5% grade for the rest - or, just about the distance between the Grand Junction and the next crossing streets on either side. You wouldn't have to 'dip' the sidewalks either, because I don't believe the 16 ft. elevation would apply to them and a 320 foot pair of sidewalk bridges with 7.2 feet of clearance beneath the Grand Junction is the lesser of two evils compared to a 5.5% sidewalk grade.

I have no idea how much 640 feet of sidewalk bridge and 640 feet of 'dip' in Mass Ave. would cost... but it's surely less than the hilarious expense of a rail underpass here.

Can't help you there. It's not a Red Line branch. No magic wand's going to turn it into a Red Line branch.

"Approximation". As in, there is no corridor for building rapid transit so 15 minutes is the best that's achievable sharing South Station.

No, it isn't rapid transit. Because nobody said it was supposed to be. Except apparently you. See above and above and above.

Then what's the solution? Fairmount can't get the Red Line. The corridor's needed for freight because the economy's dependent on growth of Port of Southie, and it can't be expanded beyond 2 tracks north of Cummins Hwy. without taking houses. Which clearly is not good or acceptable for Dorchester.

No, it can't. It is impossible. Move on.

No, it can't. Because you can't get HRT down the Fairmount corridor in Dorchester. And the existence of the Link does not automatically turn the commuter rail into a rapid transit system either; the same intermixing of disparate services on disparate headways happens below as above.

Move on.

I went back and looked at a Fairmount-Red Connection more closely. Assuming that the Red Line rolling stock can handle 2% grade sustained over 1000 feet, there's more then enough wiggle room to sever Fairmount just north of the overpass at I-93 and get it underground without fouling up Widett/Cabot or the OC Lines, and once it's 20 feet underground there's a wealth of options for connecting to the Red Line south of Broadway even if I'm wrong about the track depth/platform positioning and therefore the junction I depicted isn't possible.

The Fairmount Red Line Conversion is probably a $1.5 billion project and 23.83% of that price tag is deliberate budget padding anticipating cost overruns.

Whether that's the best use of $1.5 billion is besides the point. I don't consider $1.5 billion to be 'impossible' levels of expense. CSXT's perpetual rights to run over Fairmount (if they actually have perpetual rights to Fairmount and not just everything Franklin southwest of Readville) can be negotiated for, freight can still come into Boston and the Port of Southie via the Old Colony Lines - it works. It can be done.

Whether that's the best use of $1.5 billion is besides the point. I don't consider $1.5 billion to be 'impossible' levels of expense. CSXT's perpetual rights to run over Fairmount (if they actually have perpetual rights to Fairmount and not just everything Franklin southwest of Readville) can be negotiated for, freight can still come into Boston and the Port of Southie via the Old Colony Lines - it works. It can be done.

It's not about the lease rights that CSX or anyone else has, it's about the fact that Fairmount is the only redundancy for the NEC into Boston from the South. If congestion - or anything worse - were to cut off the SW Corridor and Fairmount were converted to Red Boston would fully cut off from NY by rail. That's why the T hasn't converted it long ago and would never look to do it in the future. They're as critically reliant on that line as Amtrak or CSX.

This isn't even like the Lowell/Reading question or (in a perfect world) rerouting the Worcester Line to the Fitchburg line somehow to lay HRT along the Pike. The NEC is one of the most important pieces of transportation infrastructure in the United States. You simply can't - CAN'T - sever it's only backup.

On a different subject, given the headaches inherent to even the current operation of GJ, could the whole line be trenched, as opposed to just at the intersections? It looks like plenty of lead-up on each end, and the line's so old there can't be anything too crazy under there.

It's not about the lease rights that CSX or anyone else has, it's about the fact that Fairmount is the only redundancy for the NEC into Boston from the South. If congestion - or anything worse - were to cut off the SW Corridor and Fairmount were converted to Red Boston would fully cut off from NY by rail. That's why the T hasn't converted it long ago and would never look to do it in the future. They're as critically reliant on that line as Amtrak or CSX.

This isn't even like the Lowell/Reading question or (in a perfect world) rerouting the Worcester Line to the Fitchburg line somehow to lay HRT along the Pike. The NEC is one of the most important pieces of transportation infrastructure in the United States. You simply can't - CAN'T - sever it's only backup.

The Worcester Line is also a redundancy for the NEC if you're looking at this from the scope of "between Boston and NY" or "Boston and New Haven" or even "Between Boston and New London" and were anything to happen to the NEC with Fairmount unavailable it'd be less of a crisis then when bad things happen to either of the load-bearing tunnels in NYC...

...but, fine. You've made a good point that I can't really refute. If it's mission-critical as a redundant NEC route I can move past running a Red Line branch down it.

I still believe that you'd have 10x the ridership on Red -> Fairmount than you would with Fairmount Line DMU/EMU/Whatever.

Back