Redesign Government Center

Bk9nxsz.png

Does anyone else always see the former "American House" site on their google maps, or is it just me? I feel like that's just straight-up taunting.

I'm with Davem, bring Hanover back to Cambridge St, do so as pedestrian mall, that's arguably the most meaningful change I can see, short of walloping City Hall out of existence.

Freedom Tower at Government Center mashup from a different angle:

onWOTYi.jpg

If the FBI is in 1-2-3 now, who is in the JFK? Just Homeland Security? What goes on that building that it needs to be so secure as to block development on CHP?

If the FBI is in 1-2-3 now, who is in the JFK? Just Homeland Security? What goes on that building that it needs to be so secure as to block development on CHP?

Probably something terribly critical to national security like someone doesn't want their view disrupted or their favorite lunch spot would somehow be jostled or they don't want to walk past a bunch of construction on the way to work for a few years while they play out the clock to their retirement. You know like let-the-enemy-win kind of stuff like that. Oh the horror. Think of the children.

Edit: Okay the less snarky comment would be that perhaps they have a lot of communications equipment in there and they don't want to disrupt Line of Sight (LoS) any more than it already is. Of course you just run some fiber over to a new tower and you could get even better line of sight and a further horizon for whatever you want to do.

You don't even need to knock down city hall. Reconstruct Hannover and Cornhill Street, along with 2-3 other roads.

Sell off the parcels for redevelopment.

Profit.

That's what I've always thought (red lines are new streets, yellow lines developable parcels):

9178896854_a44627fa25_b.jpg

By the way, I do show a large number of new streets, a few of which could be eliminated to accommodate larger, taller buildings, while being careful not to revert to the failed "super-block" model of 1960's urban renewal.

Honestly based on some of the tall and thin buildings going up in NYC I don't think the blocks would need to be bigger you could easily fit tall buildings on any of those blocks with space left over as long as they are of the tall thin variety like the new Four Seasons Boston.

I'm all for it but we need to start thinking about WHAT is going to be built and WHY. Gov't Center isn't in the heart of a booming CBD (like FiDi, Back Bay, SBW, Kendall, etc) so you have to think what's going to work best. It's got to be mixed use all the way, probably 1/3 commercial, 1/3 residential (or more), and 1/3 hotel. And given that this is the mix for the Gov't Center Garage redevelopment and this hasn't even broken ground yet I'm skeptical that anything can or should be built until the GC Garage gets going to gauge demand.

Boston Globe - June 5, 2015
City Hall Plaza turned into giant patio

By Steve Annear Globe Staff June 05, 2015

It’s served as a concert venue, a stage to celebrate Boston Pride Week, and a landing spot for numerous food festivals.

Now, City Hall Plaza is a place for people to rest and relax.

The red-brick landscape outside the municipal building has been transformed into a picnic space for workers and visitors, after the city this week placed more than 40 plastic, Adirondack-style chairs on the plaza.

Daniel Koh, chief of staff for Mayor Martin J. Walsh, said the installation is part of a strategy to make the area more welcoming to people.

Koh has already seen people lying in the chairs, soaking up the sun, he said.

“A lot of people are walking by City Hall, but not a lot of people stop and enjoy themselves,” he said. “The more people we can get out there to enjoy it, the more gratifying it is for us.”

On a cool Friday afternoon, Sean Nabi and his friend Jules Dean gazed out at the plaza as people bustled by.

“I think it’s fantastic,” said Nabi, who works at the nearby John F. Kennedy Federal Building. “Having an opportunity to sort of come here and take in the beauty that is Boston, the beauty that is Government Center, is great. It gives you a reason to get out.”

In addition to the lounge chairs, the city plans to place 20 tables and regular chairs outside City Hall over the next few weeks, creating an outdoor patio where people can enjoy lunch.

The plaza is infrequently transformed for events like the Boston Calling music festival, but Koh said city leaders want people to visit more regularly.

Walsh’s administration has tried other strategies to make the stark concrete building more welcoming.

In the lobby last September, artist Liz LaManche installed the “Stairs of Fabulousness,” using colorful strips to bring the steps to life.

Last Christmas, workers from Walsh’s office of New Urban Mechanics hooked up a holiday tree that changed colors based on tweets sent by constituents.

And on June 19, the plaza outside will be used for the Donna Summer Roller Disco Party.

Koh said the city plans next month to solicit residents’ ideas for how the plaza could be better used.

“Maybe it’s a singalong, or a soccer game — we don’t know what’s going to come back … but we want to make sure we empower people,” Koh said.

Steve Annear can be reached at steve.annear@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @steveannear.

Hmmm. Seems to be a good idea. I hate those plastic chairs but not investing in wood or metal might have been smart, at least until they did a trial run to see how successful they are.

I'm all for it but we need to start thinking about WHAT is going to be built and WHY. Gov't Center isn't in the heart of a booming CBD (like FiDi, Back Bay, SBW, Kendall, etc) so you have to think what's going to work best. It's got to be mixed use all the way, probably 1/3 commercial, 1/3 residential (or more), and 1/3 hotel. And given that this is the mix for the Gov't Center Garage redevelopment and this hasn't even broken ground yet I'm skeptical that anything can or should be built until the GC Garage gets going to gauge demand.

Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market are in the top ten of most visited attractions in the world. And Government Center is the prime spot in the City right in the middle of everything. The question is whether building big at government center would draw investment away from other areas.

I'm glad to hear the chairs are more than just temporary for the Scooper Bowl, as I had assumed. Also good to hear about tables and chairs coming. It's a good step in the right direction for activating the plaza. It might pay off to change some of the ground cover in those areas too to a smoother stone paver rather than the brick. It would really mark a special area(s).

I didn't realize that this was as serious as it is:

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...e-right-qualifications-to-redevelop-city.html

It certainly sounds like they're looking for developers, not landscape architects. I bet they're after low-rise buildings around a smaller plaza as opposed to the full grid renewal, but still, this is more movement than we've seen on City Hall Plaza for a while.

Also...

“Boston right now doesn’t have the one thing that no other city has,” said Haril Pandya, a principal at CBT, in a recent interview. “It has a lot of great things that other cities have. It’s on par with many other cities. But it doesn’t have the one thing that no other city has, and what City Hall can be, and what that whole area can be, is the one thing that no other city in the world has. That’s a big thing of what our RFI was about.”

WTF does that even mean?

That took me far too long to parse but I think I figured it out.

I think he is saying we don't have a Statue of Liberty or Golden Gate Bridge or Sydney Opera House, etc.

It's something we've have gone round and round about on this forum more than few times.

That took me far too long too parse but I think I figured it out.

I think he is saying we don't have a Statue of Liberty or Golden Gate Bridge or Sydney Opera House, etc.

It's something we've have gone round and round about on this forum more than few times.

Yeah. He's saying we don't have an iconic landmark that is unique to Boston.

That took me far too long to parse but I think I figured it out.

I read that quote the same way.

Does Fenway Park not fit that mold? The Public Garden/Boston Common? State House? Faneuil Hall? Old State House? Esplanade?

Not really?

Those are all really nice spaces/buildings, but not really on the same scale as other city's landmarks.

Not too sure how to quantify it but none of those examples seems quite as 'iconic'(?) as my examples. Opinions may differ.

Does Fenway Park not fit that mold? The Public Garden/Boston Common? State House? Faneuil Hall? Old State House? Esplanade?

We've gone around in circles on this issue in the past.

My take (and CBT's take) is that all of those have counterparts in other cities.

Fenway > Wrigley
Boston Common > Central Park
State House > Every other State House in the country
Faneuil Hall > Times Square
Old State House > All of Philadelphia's Historic District

We're missing that "it" factor for a singular landmark. They want to create something that you can only get in Boston.

“Boston right now doesn’t have the one thing that no other city has,” said Haril Pandya, a principal at CBT, in a recent interview. “It has a lot of great things that other cities have. It’s on par with many other cities. But it doesn’t have the one thing that no other city has, and what City Hall can be, and what that whole area can be, is the one thing that no other city in the world has. That’s a big thing of what our RFI was about.”

WTF does that even mean?

It was an extremely convoluted way of saying that Boston lacks a truly unique urban space that no other city has.

Back