Regional Rail (RUR) & North-South Rail Link (NSRL)

Brattle Loop

Reaction score
Waaay back in the day, Washington DC did have trolley cars in its central area powered through an electrified underground rail. This was done because they didn't want the visual pollution of overhead wires around the significant national buildings and park areas,.
I'd forgotten about that, though I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that that setup had problems with either snow or leaves, I can't remember which. I know there's been a few instances with different methods for electrifying LRVs and trams without overhead lines, but if there's anything equivalent on the RR mode, I'm not aware of it.

Highwayguy

Reaction score
I know there's been a few instances with different methods for electrifying LRVs and trams without overhead lines, but if there's anything equivalent on the RR mode, I'm not aware of it.
Bog standard third rail electrification for mainline rail, like in NYC, southeast England, and Berlin would be the equivalent. Pre HS1, even Eurostar trains ran on legacy third rail power from London to the Chunnel.
Not sure if FRA allows new third rail grade crossings (Metro North, LIRR, and Chicago L (!) have existing crossings), but Im sure stakeholders would (rightly) put up a stink if it was ever proposed for the commuter rail. Third rail electrification is worse in almost every conceivable way than overhead line anyway. Even most new metro systems are moving to overhead line.

ceo

Reaction score
There's some systems in European city centers where the electrification goes through the running rails, and it's segmented so that the tracks are only live when there's a train on them. Of course, it vastly complicates the track and signaling design and you definitely can't have CWR.

Brattle Loop

Reaction score
Bog standard third rail electrification for mainline rail, like in NYC, southeast England, and Berlin would be the equivalent. Pre HS1, even Eurostar trains ran on legacy third rail power from London to the Chunnel.
Not sure if FRA allows new third rail grade crossings (Metro North, LIRR, and Chicago L (!) have existing crossings), but Im sure stakeholders would (rightly) put up a stink if it was ever proposed for the commuter rail. Third rail electrification is worse in almost every conceivable way than overhead line anyway. Even most new metro systems are moving to overhead line.
Oh, yeah, I know third rail exists as an option, though I can see how my post could be read to imply that I was overlooking it. It was poorly-worded. I was referring to the types of electrification on LRV systems that don't use overhead lines (which are quite rare, for good reason).

I don't think the FRA would look kindly on new-construction third rail crossings, at least without some serious protections. That said, for my part I say ignore the NIMBYS and just string the overhead wires already.