Regional Rail (RUR) & North-South Rail Link (NSRL)

Seth moulton on the radio boston podcast today talking about nsrl

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/radio-boston/id304273909?i=1000659659589
He's doubling-down on the 'build the Link then get Regional Rail' sequence again, as well as doubling-down on the easily-disproven 'run-thru is the only way to get frequencies' fallacy. :(

The host pushed back on that saying it's a "leap" to sell that as a fait accompli, and smartly cited the SEPTA example as a run-thru that did not deliver the frequencies. He really didn't have an answer for that other than "but SEPTA sucks."

He also seems to think there's a housing bonanza to be built on Widett Circle instead of the rail yard, while simultaneously saying "the rail yard is going to be underwater in any storm". WHUT?!? Doesn't that mean all the housing you're going to build on that moonscape is also going to be underwater unless it's on stilts above...I don't know...a railyard that can be easily evacuated???

No real surprises. It sounds like the study is going to be an exciting read, so that's something to look forward to. But Moulton's really, really set in his ways and backed stubbornly into a pretty non-persuasive pitch because it's unable to create any advance perception about the frequency angle.

The grades will be 2.5% max, which is lower than the Commuter Rail's current steepest grades: Mystic River Bridge on the Eastern Route (3%), Neponset River Bridge on the Old Colony main (3%), and the currently out-of-service Wellington duck-under on the Reading Line (almost 3%). So there's no restriction on push-pull sets; indeed Amtrak will be running its Charger dual-modes and Airo sets through there for future Portland and/or Concord Northeast Regionals, as well as a South Station/Southampton Yard-terminating Downeaster. But as an unventilated tunnel it obviously can't take straight diesels because of the fumes. The T did evaluate Alts. that equipped the whole system with dual-modes so it could retain push-pull ops, but the performance through the tunnel would be sucky at best and the locos would basically be the most expensive on the planet. EMU's are definitely the way to go on price and performance, as they have somewhat more zip and can recover better from the numerous speed penalties on the underground grades, curves, and junctions.

Electrification has been billed as a way to increase the speed of service. So for example, from Lowell it currently takes about 45 minutes on the train to North Station - eight stations on about 25 miles of track. Approximately how much time savings would electrification result in on the Lowell line? Because if it's a 20 percent reduction, that could be transformative in terms of the value proposition of taking transit v. driving and also of increasing the desirability of transit accessible areas - a lot of the Gateway Cities are served directly by CR - and maybe reducing the huge variations in housing costs. across communities. According to Zillow the current median condo value in Lowell is less than half what it is for Boston ($330 in Lowell v. $720 in Boston).

I do feel that electrification could be a winner politically because the number of communities served by the system is pretty vast and if it could be tied directly to faster, higher frequency service, what's not to like? Last question, is the battery electric option that the T has been pushing bullshit designed to shut up the electrification crowd or is there some promise there?

He's doubling-down on the 'build the Link then get Regional Rail' sequence again, as well as doubling-down on the easily-disproven 'run-thru is the only way to get frequencies' fallacy. :(

The host pushed back on that saying it's a "leap" to sell that as a fait accompli, and smartly cited the SEPTA example as a run-thru that did not deliver the frequencies. He really didn't have an answer for that other than "but SEPTA sucks."

He also seems to think there's a housing bonanza to be built on Widett Circle instead of the rail yard, while simultaneously saying "the rail yard is going to be underwater in any storm". WHUT?!? Doesn't that mean all the housing you're going to build on that moonscape is also going to be underwater unless it's on stilts above...I don't know...a railyard that can be easily evacuated???

No real surprises. It sounds like the study is going to be an exciting read, so that's something to look forward to. But Moulton's really, really set in his ways and backed stubbornly into a pretty non-persuasive pitch because it's unable to create any advance perception about the frequency angle.
Yup, he's saying some dumb stuff. He's sticking to some bad talking points.

However, being really generous, a lot of what you're pointing out seems kind of unrelated to his main point. He's saying that South Station is at capacity and is due for some multi-billion dollar investment. And, according to Moulton and this study, it's a much bigger bang for our buck to do NSRL rather than SSX. Going back through the slides, it looks like he thinks there possible federal money from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Act. If we're fighting for some of that federal money, he says, it should go to NSRL and not SSX. That all seems reasonable, and maybe correct.

I agree with you, I wish he could speak more competently about Regional Rail. It would make him a better advocate. (From the vague slides, it looks like the Harvard report does consider Regional Rail a pre-requisite for NSRL. Moulton should crib from that.) But Regional Rail is something largely controlled at the state level, which isn't him. Other politicians are currently failing us on that front. Moulton's role is largely to get federal money for infrastructure projects, and that's what he's advocating for. There's a lot of room for criticism, but he's doing that advocacy. And reporters are calling his office because the rest of our congressional delegation isn't talking about NSRL.

However, being really generous, a lot of what you're pointing out seems kind of unrelated to his main point. He's saying that South Station is at capacity and is due for some multi-billion dollar investment. And, according to Moulton and this study, it's a much bigger bang for our buck to do NSRL rather than SSX. Going back through the slides, it looks like he thinks there possible federal money from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Act. If we're fighting for some of that federal money, he says, it should go to NSRL and not SSX. That all seems reasonable, and maybe correct.
But is it, though? The study seems to be comparing tankapalooza numbers for SSX with un-tanked numbers for NSRL. Only a minority of SSX's bloated cost was going to be the track and platform work. Most of it was going to real estate redevelopment of the USPS complex, a palatial new headhouse for the Dorchester Ave. side, and a host of unrelated things right down to a Dot Ave. Harborwalk extension. With other things, like the layover yard, now broken out from SSX into separate projects leaving some itemizations very dated. How would SSX fare if you boiled it down to just the jump-startable transportation project-elements and let the real estate interests figure their own way out like the air rights figured their own way out? How would SSX fare if we could honestly answer how many additional platforms Regional Rail ops reform requires? It's not zero tracks like the zero-sum advocates claim (and Moulton is definitely not on TransitMatters' side with his conclusions there), but is the requirement the +7 tracks the DEIR/FEIR claims or some intermediate number? Is it still a sticker-shock number vs. a sticker-shock number then? We don't know, because no one's looking amid all the advocate-on-advocate fighting over this.

I want to see a real apples-apples comparison on the transportation costs before defaulting to zero-sum games. As enlightening as this study probably will be, if the sole object is to 'defeat' SSX it needs to be comparing the right things--the transportation projects--and not all the other fluff and cruft.

Electrification has been billed as a way to increase the speed of service. So for example, from Lowell it currently takes about 45 minutes on the train to North Station - eight stations on about 25 miles of track. Approximately how much time savings would electrification result in on the Lowell line? Because if it's a 20 percent reduction, that could be transformative in terms of the value proposition of taking transit v. driving and also of increasing the desirability of transit accessible areas - a lot of the Gateway Cities are served directly by CR - and maybe reducing the huge variations in housing costs. across communities. According to Zillow the current median condo value in Lowell is less than half what it is for Boston ($330 in Lowell v. $720 in Boston).

I do feel that electrification could be a winner politically because the number of communities served by the system is pretty vast and if it could be tied directly to faster, higher frequency service, what's not to like? Last question, is the battery electric option that the T has been pushing bullshit designed to shut up the electrification crowd or is there some promise there?
Caltrain's new EMU'd schedules are probably a good guide, since those are based on actual buyable EMU's that the T was bid (unlike TransitMatters' modeling-spec EMU's which were [1] not bid to the T, [2] don't fit East Coast platform heights so are inapplicable here, [3] used the intercity-class versions that are too expensive for commuter service, and [4] specced that all track on the T be raised to 100 MPH speed limit damn the costs). Those EMU's shrink an end-to-end San Francisco-to-San Jose 100 minute local schedule down to 75 minutes, or a 25% reduction. The NEC Commission estimates that Providence would shrink from 1:10 to 57 minutes (18%), and Wickford Jct. from 1:40 to 1:24 (16%) by applying Regional Rail practices with similar-class EMU's. It matters how many stations are on the line. Caltrain has a LOT of them on its local schedules (22), so it has comparably many more starts-and-stops than a Providence/Wickford or Lowell. So depending on the density of stops on a given T schedule, you'd be projecting reductions of 15-25% per trip.

Applying a more conservative savings due to the low number of stations and straightness of the route (i.e. not too many curve speed penalties to recover from), Lowell at 15% reduction would clock in at 38 minutes. Spiffy!

Last edited:
But is it, though? The study seems to be comparing tankapalooza numbers for SSX with un-tanked numbers for NSRL.
And adding to this there is some clear shenanigans going on with that economic benefit comparison, with the claim that NSRL would provide 10 times as much economic benefit as SSX (Or more accurately RER minus NSRL), which is frankly just absurd.
I want to see a real apples-apples comparison on the transportation costs before defaulting to zero-sum games. As enlightening as this study probably will be, if the sole object is to 'defeat' SSX it needs to be comparing the right things--the transportation projects--and not all the other fluff and cruft.
Agreed. What we actually need here, and what nobody seems to be making is a full report (Or series of reports) detailing:
  • Costs and benefits of frequent regional rail with existing NS and SS, or "What could we do right now without a large infrastructure expansion?"
  • Cost and benefits for RER with an expanded South Station. How much South Station expansion, if any, would be required for desirable RER frequencies, and how much would that cost?
  • Cost and benefits for RER of an NSRL, how many additional trains per hour would this be able to serve over an expanded South Station, and would that translate to meaningful improvements to RER frequencies or is it just a difference between hypothetical future 10 minute Providence headways or 5 minute Providence Headways for example?
  • Cost and benefits of NSRL for transportation within Boston compared to other large projects like the Urban Ring

But is it, though? The study seems to be comparing tankapalooza numbers for SSX with un-tanked numbers for NSRL. Only a minority of SSX's bloated cost was going to be the track and platform work. Most of it was going to real estate redevelopment of the USPS complex, a palatial new headhouse for the Dorchester Ave. side, and a host of unrelated things right down to a Dot Ave. Harborwalk extension. With other things, like the layover yard, now broken out from SSX into separate projects leaving some itemizations very dated. How would SSX fare if you boiled it down to just the jump-startable transportation project-elements and let the real estate interests figure their own way out like the air rights figured their own way out? How would SSX fare if we could honestly answer how many additional platforms Regional Rail ops reform requires? It's not zero tracks like the zero-sum advocates claim (and Moulton is definitely not on TransitMatters' side with his conclusions there), but is the requirement the +7 tracks the DEIR/FEIR claims or some intermediate number? Is it still a sticker-shock number vs. a sticker-shock number then? We don't know, because no one's looking amid all the advocate-on-advocate fighting over this.

I generally agree with you. I also have a lot of questions about the methodology of the study, and I want to see a good apple-to-apples comparison. But is there some reason you already think they're screwing up the SSX cost estimates? We don't have the report, so we don't really know what they think is necessary for SSX, or if their assumptions are reasonable. Moulton did say Linda Bilmes conducted the study, and from a quick glance she seems like a reasonable researcher for something like this, for whatever that's worth. Maybe someone on here knows better than I do if she's a crazy or a hack. So I'm not sure what looks so possibly bad about this study (other than Moulton being kinda crap about conveying the details)

I just wish we could sell this as an integrated transportation system that would alleviate the burden on the downtown Orange and Green lines as well. I keep looking to Munich.

The Munich S-Bahn rail tunnel is so tightly integrated into their U-Bahn metro system that the average person doesn't even realize the difference. (Me included.) Yes, it also allows through-running electric trains from the suburbs, but it also is a main trunk line transversing the downtown core and allowing easy transfer to many U-Bahn lines. It's so successful, they are building a second rail tunnel for the S-Bahn trains.

Munich is a similar size city to Boston. I just can't understand why we aren't using good European examples of interconnected subway and suburban rail systems?

I'm a huge proponent of the NSRL, but position it as a critical trunk line transversing downtown Boston that will allow easy transfers to the Red, Green, Orange, and Blue lines. Someone commuting from East Boston to the South Station area could take the Blue line to the Central Station where they could catch a NSRL train to South Station quicker and easier than taking the Blue Line to Charles (LOL) and transferring to the Red line to South Station because the NSRL trains will run at subway frequencies. (.......as they do in Munich.)

Oh well, I'm now thinking that I will never live to see this in Boston. LOL

I generally agree with you. I also have a lot of questions about the methodology of the study, and I want to see a good apple-to-apples comparison. But is there some reason you already think they're screwing up the SSX cost estimates? We don't have the report, so we don't really know what they think is necessary for SSX, or if their assumptions are reasonable. Moulton did say Linda Bilmes conducted the study, and from a quick glance she seems like a reasonable researcher for something like this, for whatever that's worth. Maybe someone on here knows better than I do if she's a crazy or a hack. So I'm not sure what looks so possibly bad about this study (other than Moulton being kinda crap about conveying the details)

If I'm the Postal Service... I am asking for the moon for the land.

I just wish we could sell this as an integrated transportation system that would alleviate the burden on the downtown Orange and Green lines as well. I keep looking to Munich.

The Munich S-Bahn rail tunnel is so tightly integrated into their U-Bahn metro system that the average person doesn't even realize the difference. (Me included.) Yes, it also allows through-running electric trains from the suburbs, but it also is a main trunk line transversing the downtown core and allowing easy transfer to many U-Bahn lines. It's so successful, they are building a second rail tunnel for the S-Bahn trains.

Munich is a similar size city to Boston. I just can't understand why we aren't using good European examples of interconnected subway and suburban rail systems?

I'm a huge proponent of the NSRL, but position it as a critical trunk line transversing downtown Boston that will allow easy transfers to the Red, Green, Orange, and Blue lines. Someone commuting from East Boston to the South Station area could take the Blue line to the Central Station where they could catch a NSRL train to South Station quicker and easier than taking the Blue Line to Charles (LOL) and transferring to the Red line to South Station because the NSRL trains will run at subway frequencies. (.......as they do in Munich.)

Oh well, I'm now thinking that I will never live to see this in Boston. LOL
I could be wrong but I personally feel that yes you need to sell it on that, but maybe even more so you need to sell it on the statewide benefits it will bring. The rest of the state already feels left behind by Boston and even cities and towns close to Boston would rather their tax money be used on something that is going to benefit them vs just boston. I think hes on the right path moving away from just calling it the north south rail link vs emphasizing how its an entire region rail link. I think we should be pushing the idea of regional rail, electrification, and the rail link as all one greater system that is going to benefit the entire state. I feel like its a much easier sell to say its going to benefit 100 towns/cities with faster service and much better connections to boston and beyond connecting all cities/towns on the system together vs just saying it will help someone taking the subway have less transfers.

Someone commuting from East Boston to the South Station area could take the Blue line to the Central Station where they could catch a NSRL train to South Station quicker and easier than taking the Blue Line to Charles (LOL) and transferring to the Red line to South Station because the NSRL trains will run at subway frequencies. (.......as they do in Munich.)
Yes, this is a benefit, but I don't think marketing it as a 5 minute travel time improvement for some East Boston and North Shore commuters is the way to sell it.

Yes, this is a benefit, but I don't think marketing it as a 5 minute travel time improvement for some East Boston and North Shore commuters is the way to sell it.
I wanted to circle back to this as well. He's claiming the SS and NS throat switches can be upgraded with proper signaling (instead of relying on line-of-sight) so that they can run at a full 30mph? That would cut like 3 full minutes off of EVERY train (amtrak, mbta) into Boston. Plus if we had through-running then trains could approach the SS-under/NS-under stations without having to worry about the stub-end. Is this even feasible given FRA regulations? Or given that the MTA hasn't even fixed this in Grand Central mean its just a pipe dream?

I wanted to circle back to this as well. He's claiming the SS and NS throat switches can be upgraded with proper signaling (instead of relying on line-of-sight) so that they can run at a full 30mph? That would cut like 3 full minutes off of EVERY train (amtrak, mbta) into Boston.

That would be nice. I personally think that it's crazy they have to do stuff like this on a closed track where they should know where every train is at all times.

And adding to this there is some clear shenanigans going on with that economic benefit comparison, with the claim that NSRL would provide 10 times as much economic benefit as SSX (Or more accurately RER minus NSRL), which is frankly just absurd.
If 10x the benefits sounds absurd, what number sounds plausible to you? Double the benefits? Quadruple? NSRL clearly has a lot more benefits over SSX, right? In his interview, Moulton said SSX is expected to fix South Station's capacity problem for a couple decades, but quad-tracked NSRL fixes that for a century. If that's correct, that's a big difference. SSX can't do anything to help frequencies on the north side, but NSRL can. The new possible connections from NSRL really would be a big deal. Offering a couple of million south side suburbanites a one seat ride to North Station is big. Offering a million north side suburbanites one seat rides to South Station, Back Bay, Lansdowne, and Ruggles is huge. We don't know what they think the possible difference in frequencies would be, but that could make a huge difference on the Fairmount line. That could be the difference between fast regional rail and Boston effectively getting a whole new subway line.

So I'm also curious to see how they measure the economic benefits. But 10x the benefits doesn't sound absurd to me.

Agreed. What we actually need here, and what nobody seems to be making is a full report (Or series of reports) detailing:
  • Costs and benefits of frequent regional rail with existing NS and SS, or "What could we do right now without a large infrastructure expansion?"
  • Cost and benefits for RER with an expanded South Station. How much South Station expansion, if any, would be required for desirable RER frequencies, and how much would that cost?
  • Cost and benefits for RER of an NSRL, how many additional trains per hour would this be able to serve over an expanded South Station, and would that translate to meaningful improvements to RER frequencies or is it just a difference between hypothetical future 10 minute Providence headways or 5 minute Providence Headways for example?
  • Cost and benefits of NSRL for transportation within Boston compared to other large projects like the Urban Ring
I would also like to know the answer to some of these questions. TransitMatters have tried to answer some of this. I expect the Harvard study addresses some of it. They hopefully make reasonable assumptions and estimates for some of it, too.

But I'm not sure we need those kinds of reports. What we need is federal money for infrastructure projects. Moulton seems to think there is a narrow window to get that money. If he's right that there's money now, then this isn't the time for more reports or new options. This isn't the time to come up with economic projections for every possible variant of regional rail. It is actually time to pick a good option from among good options, best we can, and try to get that federal money. NSRL is a good option. There's no world in which we regret building it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really think people who have experienced such a system would easily buy in to building one here. My family went to Paris in 2019, and two of my kids and I took the RER-C to Versailles. It was a fantastic day (we especially enjoyed the palace grounds). I understood the nature of the transportation we took, and was green with envy, particularly when considering how easy it would be to achieve something similar in Boston. At any rate, turns out my son (16 at the tiem) didn't even realize we weren't riding the Metro. To him, the RER and Metro were indistinguishable.

You can't experience such a thing and not see how useful it would be to have here, especially when so much of the infrastructure is already in place. Imagine an updated RUR system in Boston, with modern, EMU based trains, running at high frequency. People would see it as essentially no different from BART (though far more extensive), and just another part of the MBTA rapid transit system.

Yeah, I really think people who have experienced such a system would easily buy in to building one here. My family went to Paris in 2019, and two of my kids and I took the RER-C to Versailles. It was a fantastic day (we especially enjoyed the palace grounds). I understood the nature of the transportation we took, and was green with envy, particularly when considering how easy it would be to achieve something similar in Boston. At any rate, turns out my son (16 at the tiem) didn't even realize we weren't riding the Metro. To him, the RER and Metro were indistinguishable.

You can't experience such a thing and not see how useful it would be to have here, especially when so much of the infrastructure is already in place. Imagine an updated RUR system in Boston, with modern, EMU based trains, running at high frequency. People would see it as essentially no different from BART (though far more extensive), and just another part of the MBTA rapid transit system.
Add in coordinated schedules with coordinated, cross-platform transfers and you would have a world-class system. With coordinated transfers, 2- and 3-seat rides stop being objectionable.

There's no world in which we regret building it.

The obvious would be the costs run out of control and they never end up finishing it.

One thing's for sure, talking up the Suburbia angle during Peak WFH is a losing strategy.

One thing's for sure, talking up the Suburbia angle during Peak WFH is a losing strategy.
You seem to think that because more people are working from home, no one is commuting into the city. Actually, hundreds of thousands of people are trying to get downtown Boston every day. The commuter rail ridership is roughly back to pre-covid levels and the highways are similarly packed with stop and go traffic. There is a huge need for better transportation into the city. People regularly say this in polls. It is also not hard to find people who say they would want to work in the office more if their commute was better. NSRL seems good politically because it's good for Boston, but also has major benefits for people in suburbia. There is a broader political coalition you can build around it.

Back