Renaissance Seaport Hotel

I just don't get it. Portsmouth won't let you put up anything that's not pre-approved to appear in a Lifetime Channel Christmas Special. I'm not saying Boston needs that - but maybe slightly more aggressive planners - some windows, a few bricks, something other than this!

:( How ironic if this is called the "Renaissance" seaport hotel. No rebirth here....reminds of of the fabulous Radisson (formerly Howard Johnson) in Park Sq, only less honest. At least the Radisson was built of concrete blocks that look like rough concrete. The seaport rendition wants us to believe that it is smoooooth concrete and thus more attractive. ugh!

If you people really care, why don't you bitch and moan in a more public forum such as the Globe's editorial page rather than some POS web forum which about 35 people read per day.

vanshnookenraggen said:
I honestly hope that one day, far into the future, people will look back at the seaport and hold it as an example of a totally post-modern architectural district. These buildings are boring now but I hope that when they are all done they will work together like the warehouses of SoHo or the townhouses of the Back Bay.

I would like this statement stricken from the record.

I don't really have a big problem with precast...I think that used correctly, it looks good. At first I hated the Boston Harbor Residences (I think that's what they're called...the buildings to the right of the Hotel in the last couple pictures.), but now I think they're decent. I never had a problem with Precast--until now. This has got to be one of the worst buildings I've seen...Ever. Seriously, who ever thought that extreme beige would look better than glass??

Has there ever been a building that looked so different from its facade? Doesn't the original rendering look like it's covered in glass?

kmp1284 said:
If you people really care, why don't you bitch and moan in a more public forum such as the Globe's editorial page rather than some POS web forum which about 35 people read per day.

Your numbers are a bit off. Far more people read the posts here, including the worthless idiotic one you submitted, than you think.

That's terrible. How could this have happened to us. I thought everything had to have some sort of architectural merit in this city. I remember when the original version of the Hotel Commonwealth was built...everyone was up in arms. I'd take that over this any day.

People won't make a stink because this is so out of the way. The Hotel Comm. was such a debacle because it was in the heart of Kenmore Sq.

IMO, the cheap finishes on this entire development are at least partly because few developers feel confident in making a profit in the area yet, and they do what they can to save money. Hopefully, the finishes will get better as the area is built out and developers believe their projects are more likely to be profitable.

There are lots of other reasons for the crummy finishes and architecture, like crazy planners, fanatical NIMBYs and cronies, but they are unlikely to change as the area builds out.

briv said:
kmp1284 said:

Your numbers are a bit off. Far more people read the posts here, including the worthless idiotic one you submitted, than you think.

moreover, its not a numbers game based on just this site. the people on this forum and its predecessor almost certainly are the architecture and urban planning "opinion leaders" in their respective crowds. well thought out posts w/backup links, photos, materials, etc. probably have more impact then you think.

also, in the end, news outlets like the globe *may* give your letter a small slice of space once, but if a news outlet smells a grassroots political direction brewing they might at some point comment on it in a mainline story -- which is worth much more.

Looks like a vent building with windows. On the bright side, Manulife looks spectacular next to these monstrosities.

ChunkyMonkey said:
Looks like a vent building with windows. On the bright side, Manulife looks spectacular next to these monstrosities.

Maybe this is some high level architectural conspiracy to make the ManuLife building attractive?!

guys, once the trees fill in there will be nothing to worry about.

Yes this is terrible but the one they built down the road on Columbia Point is even worse with materials that seem to be purchased from Home Depot... seriously.

its just 1 bad building get over it. Some parts of it aren't that bad. conventioneers will love it. I don't see people refusing to stay here because it is ugly. Unless an architectural convention comes to town i don't see a problem.

Still, it's fun to kvetch...where else can we find empathic listeners??

lndscpr said:
its just 1 bad building get over it. Some parts of it aren't that bad. conventioneers will love it. I don't see people refusing to stay here because it is ugly. Unless an architectural convention comes to town i don't see a problem.
The entire purpose of this board is to discuss and critique buildings in and around Boston. The point isn't whether people will refuse to stay in this blight, rather, it's that it looks like the East German Ministry of Planning, and it's a shame that such a boring building would be built in this location. I, for one, welcome complaints about this building.

chumbolly said:
lndscpr said:
The entire purpose of this board is to discuss and critique buildings in and around Boston. The point isn't whether people will refuse to stay in this blight, rather, it's that it looks like the East German Ministry of Planning, and it's a shame that such a boring building would be built in this location. I, for one, welcome complaints about this building.

Don't be so harsh...

There's no way the East German Ministry of Planning could have been this bad.

Back