Renovations to BPL's Johnson Wing | Back Bay

Re: Menino plans renovations to BPL's Johnson Wing

The whole thread has been talking about the Boylston Street facing Johnson Building. Obviously no one is touching the McKim Building. It's probably federally and state from any alterations other than preservation.

Copley Square would still be Boylston St, and I have no idea what the Johnson Building is.

But thanks for the clarification, everyone.

screenshot20130503at937.png

^ McKim Building.........................Johnson Building (as in Philip Johnson) ^

To its right is the 1972 Johnson Building, simplistic and gloomy. The McKim is one of the city’s most beautiful buildings; the Johnson, one of its ugliest. It’s like evolution running backwards: Over 77 years, we went from good to bad.
If you’re familiar with the buildings in my list, you’re probably aware that most of them are from the 1960s and 1970s. They were designed by some of that era’s best-known names, including Gerhard Kallmann, Michael McKinnell, Paul Rudolph, and Walter Gropius.

Philip Johnson was also one of those talents. A productive designer who lived and worked well into his 90s, he created some great buildings — just not in Boston. To a degree, the BPL project forced some tough constraints on Johnson, including matching up the new building’s height to the much beloved McKim. What we ended up getting with Johnson’s building was a dumbed-down echo of its predecessor (it even uses the same shade of granite). One engages the eye and entrances the mind. The other stupefies.

So what went wrong? Blame the era, perhaps, one of turmoil and change that rejected the past and celebrated a coarse modernism. Blame also the power of government to force its will and a near-disdain for community involvement.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...rchitecture/ogyP1mfHS0F8HGFkcm0nzO/story.html

I would certainly not call the Johnson Building "one of the ugliest", but it can be improved. And the Mayor's ideas sound good to me.

From a strictly urbanist (rather than architectural) perspective, the McKim building presents a blank wall to Boylston Street. Not that I'd change it, but people here would howl if it were proposed today.

I think one of the reason the McKim building's blank wall along Boylston works is because of a lip of granite at the base that hundreds of people sit along everyday to grab lunch, read a book, or just rest their feet. It's especially been activated by the presence of a food truck near the Copley inbound entrance, pretty much everyday and all year round. I cannot think of another building in Boston with a long facade void of doors or windows that still engages the pedestrian as well as the BPL McKim Boylston facade does.

The BPL link above has some awesome pictures of the models Rawn presented of the Johnson remodel. The lack of a children's room has always puzzled me at the BPL, as even most town libraries have them.

2-001.jpg

Scale model of the Johnson Building which shows the first floor, mezzanine, second floor, and exterior.

IMG_1846.jpg

Model view of the Johnson Building mezzanine and first floor area closest to Exeter Street.

http://www.bpl.org/compass/2013/10/...e-recap-johnson-building-improvement-project/

The BPL link above has some awesome pictures of the models Rawn presented of the Johnson remodel.

building those has to be one of the most fun jobs on the planet.

I would certainly not call the Johnson Building "one of the ugliest", but it can be improved. And the Mayor's ideas sound good to me.

From a strictly urbanist (rather than architectural) perspective, the McKim building presents a blank wall to Boylston Street. Not that I'd change it, but people here would howl if it were proposed today.

Ron -- I would definitely call it one of the most callous

Johnson reacted to the idea of streets being dangerous places circa 1970 by putting the reading room into a virtual bunker -- its a slightly classier version of Lafayette Place

The only good thing that he did was to squeeze 7 stories of pedestrian utilitarian functionality into the same height that McKim used for four glorious floors of ecstasy

building those has to be one of the most fun jobs on the planet.

Go through architecture school and then tell me what you think about building models. Haha. =P

I enjoyed it, but there is never enough time, no matter how much time you have.

I am very pleased to hear that the City is planning a major rework of this structure.

It is hard to imagine that we give landmark status to this bunker architecture junk from the 60's and 70's. The only reason I can imagine preserving it is to use as an example for architects to never ever do this again (and if you do, you have to live in it/work in it forever!).

By the way, if the Johnson building were a sculpture, and not a supposedly functional piece of architecture, it can be aesthetically interesting to look at. My complaint is how badly it ignores function.

^ Ron, I'm not in love with the Johnson Wing (see below) but it's too important of a building in his slow march to Post-Modernism to not be landmarked.

Some earlier thoughts on the Johnson Building:

Most importantly Johnson stole McKim's marvelous lanterns which he then littered around the city {international Place, 500 Boylston]

As far as I'm concerned the less we can see of the Bunker .. aka Johnstrosity-BOS-1 the better

However, after the recladding of the Bunker --a major part of the lower floors could be privatized as the BOS Media Market ... selling anything from old books to the latest new media technologies

Then the glass un-bunker ... could form a nice base for a discrete slim glass tower in the back corner --as far away from McKim's amazing Copley Sq. entry as possible .....

The new Tower dubbed "Bibliophilae" ... could be marketed to the bookish set the same way the condos above the Chanel #5 Newbury are marketed to the shop-o-philes ... Bibliophilae .. offers the decerning resident a private direct weather proof connection to BPL and BOS Media Market

for orientation purposes --- Copley Sq is just around the Left corner of the McKim and Boylston St. runs along the bottom of the pix

At the very minimum that featureless connector to the McKim needs to be all Glass -- perhaps with a bit of Johnson''s featureless granite slabbing after the glass is traversed to clearly isolate the two buildings

I'd even not protest if Rawn wants to leave a bit of the bunker around as a monument to anti-humanity -- well so be it

Kill it with fire! This can only be an improvement.

I wonder if the basement bathroom stalls will still be appropriated/territorialized by scary hobos. Daring each other to take a wizz down there was always a highlight of school trips to the BPL. (I don't think anyone ever actually went to the bathroom; you were more likely to slowly open the door into the bathroom, look in, then run out.)

Same pic, different day:

12872263554_d606d82b65_b.jpg

This could be a model for the city to move next to soften up City Hall by opening up the lower floors. Although, I will admit I don't even know what is behind the low rise brick portion of City Hall

This could be a model for the city to move next to soften up City Hall by opening up the lower floors. Although, I will admit I don't even know what is behind the low rise brick portion of City Hall

Commute -- my guess is a huge "Bunk-house" for the diligent public servants working 24-7 to catch a nap when they aren't feverishly serving the public -- ref some MBTA folks on duty that went mini-viral :=}

Kill it with fire! This can only be an improvement.

I wonder if the basement bathroom stalls will still be appropriated/territorialized by scary hobos. Daring each other to take a wizz down there was always a highlight of school trips to the BPL. (I don't think anyone ever actually went to the bathroom; you were more likely to slowly open the door into the bathroom, look in, then run out.)

LOL crippling poverty and mental illness

Back