Residential Tower | 26 Court St. | Government Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

datadyne007

Staff member
Reaction score
NOTE: THIS IS JUST A THOUGHT EXPERIMENT AT THIS TIME. THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL PROPOSAL BEFORE THE BPDA. NOTHING HAS BEEN FILED.

Steve Adams is reporting in a paywalled B&T article that the City asked developers if they had ideas to use municipal properties to build housing. Cronin Group responded with this 700 footer.

Steve Adams
‏ @SteveAdamsTweet

Boston asked for ideas for building housing on municipal properties. One developer submitted plans for a 700-foot tower over City Hall Annex https://t.co/OjDLyipEXc

https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet/status/1017439360197844993

Dh6qiRQU0AAYzRn.jpg:large

peFitMkh.png

9XAZZT3h.png

6AyhaLCh.jpg

O4Ub1Keh.jpg

ZBoRViVh.jpg

gtj2hZmh.png

It would somehow be built on top of this with the base preserved:

Dh6zvPEXUAAjPsE.jpg:large

Last edited:
Reactions: W-4
City Hall Annex Tower | 26 Court Street | Financial District

I'm not sure how seriously to take this, since like the rest of the world I don't pay for B&T...

Boston asked for ideas for building housing on municipal properties. One developer submitted plans for a 700-foot tower over City Hall Annex

https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet/status/1017439360197844993

(there's a picture, but I can't seem to embed it...)

Re: City Hall Annex Tower | 26 Court Street | Financial District

Lol, I beat you by a minute. I've got supplemental pix in my thread.

Wouldn't a 700 footer here cast a shadow on the Common? That would be an instant deal breaker with the new shadow bank deal right?

No.... it would cast it's rapidly sweeping shadow on Beacon Hill, incl the State House, the West End and North End...

Could very well go higher than 700'.

# of floors indicates about 725'. FAA is at least that high.

Last edited:
Wouldn't a 700 footer here cast a shadow on the Common? That would be an instant deal breaker with the new shadow bank deal right?

I actually doubt that it'd be able to. The site's located due northeast of the Common and I think shadows would only barely fall in that direction on mornings around the summer solstice, if ever.

Not to mention One Beacon would likely block some of the shadows (or already casts).

As to my opinion.... I love the boldness. The tower seems pretty cool, although maybe a little overly similar to MT and with another flat roof for Boston. The shape reminds me of the Hancock a bit, with a wide side and super thin side.

I like that the gut/rehab plan will save the old building's facade for the long haul.

I'm not thrilled at the way it basically crowds up to 1 Boston Place. I'm one of the few here who (really) like that tower a lot. However, it's still easily an overall net positive for the city in my estimation.

This was already discussed back in early May...

My recycled thoughts...

That's quite handsome, and a Boston-rarity -- a tall building that actively asserts its height.

I'm curious about the state of the interior of 26 Court Street. As a City-owned property, I'll guess that it's been modified unsympathetically, at least since the BPS took over occupancy in the late 60s. Here's an interesting piece from three years ago on the history of this site.

Well this came out of left field.

Not exactly:
WBUR said:
As for the future of 26 Court St., Mayor Marty Walsh's office says the city is exploring options for the property, which is currently assessed at $34 million.

But I have to believe that the owners of 1 Boston Place would put up quite a fight.

Perhaps, but is it any worse than what we see in Winthrop Square?

If a developer saves the shell of the existing building (a la Custom House expansion 100+ yrs ago); if the developer spends some money dressing up Court Square to realize its latent charm; then make it 1000 feet tall with a giant mechanical dog bone on top as far as I care!

your approval notwithstanding, does anyone think this would ever have a snowball's chance in hell?

I'm not thrilled at the way it basically crowds up to 1 Boston Place. I'm one of the few here who (really) like that tower a lot. However, it's still easily an overall net positive for the city in my estimation.

Just my opinion, but I find 1 Boston Place the ugliest tall building in Boston and it ruins the skyline. So hiding it is sure a win in my book! Just my humble opinion though! To each their own.

Nice idea, it’s like that huge tower in BK with the old bank building preserved...

your approval notwithstanding, does anyone think this would ever have a snowball's chance in hell?

Ooooooh! Fun! Patronizing the pup.

To your question, city makes money, no shadow problems, few, if any, residential neighbors. As long as the developer isn't that bunch of Bromfield morons for whom you are a constant apologist, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back