Revere Infill and Small Developments

Tom, I thought a lot about this last night and this morning. There are so many forces one could consider in crafting a thoughtful response. Through the lens of technology, the lives of the working class have been improved superficially (connectivity, mind-broadening access to knowledge, travel, and entertainment) but substantially undermined (automation, logistics, transition to off-shore labor).

You and I are close-enough in age to be at opposite ends of the same generation. I imagine that we share many common experiences growing up. I agree with you, much of the richness of life fifty-plus years ago has been washed away by the shifting tides of cultural values and priorities. As I've said elsewhere, the defining characteristic of our society isn't what we make but what we choose to throw away.

(I've never been accused of being a sociologist.)
:)

21 Revere Beach Blvd. 90 Ocean Ave behind
01B814BC-6E6B-4D6C-87A4-5B134DB08CB9.jpeg
BCBE0E41-CC33-4C71-97E7-359C15BED705.jpeg
5DAA092E-4F35-483D-BA13-CE814B3AE5D7.jpeg
7CC20D62-527F-4E40-8CFB-7E826541A24E.png
27FD0717-4F79-491C-935C-95F05C471C6C.jpeg

I had posted earlier photos of these on the AB FB page. They are in the parking lot of Suffolk Downs. Seeing that HYM now owns SD they could be for one congress and were built here temporarily since there is little room on site? Just a wild guess. Looks like one of these is being demolished soon.
D5610DE5-0BF5-466D-867C-9AC96BC9327F.jpeg
5B6E0860-FA8D-4E0B-8BC3-871169060561.jpeg

I'd love to work on breaking up this thread some, but I don't know what all the projects are. Instead of trying to do it based on these great pics, can I make an ask that folks try to start new threads for these bigger projects instead of adding pics here? Then mods can go through the threads and fill in the backlog of images and updates.

In my headspace the "infill and small project" threads should be kept to projects with fewer than 20-25 units.

Ok, will see if I can start own thread on this project

Cool. Don't feel like you have to do it, but the next batch of pics you snap see if you can pinpoint the specific projects to make it easier for you (and us) to categorize going forward.

Your pics are awesome btw. I don't want to be assigning you "work," it would just be helpful to know what specific projects these pics go with :)

Wonderland Marketplace just sold. "The Center is 100% leased with strong tenants that serve the local community’s needs including Marshalls, Planet Fitness, St Jean’s Credit Union and 99 Restaurant." With all the residential development in progress in the blocks surrounding here, I wonder how long before they get a little more adventurous.

1575392028694.png

A reminder of everything that was lost here. This video is a real gut punch. It has probably been posted here before but I 100% recommend a watch if you haven't seen it already.

A reminder of everything that was lost here. This video is a real gut punch. It has probably been posted here before but I 100% recommend a watch if you haven't seen it already.

I sometimes wonder why we don't see more people with the financial ability invest in a project to fill voids like this that is intended to reach break-even rather than turn a profit. Boston has hometown billionaires who care about their community, I'm sure some of these people can see the void. Just a thought. It's something I see in other countries but not here, where the local wealthy people actually build wonderful things for their home communities (like museums) because they knew something was lacking. I mean, if I was able to I would want to build a modern entertainment facility to fill this void. Would I think it would turn a profit? No, but it would make myself and others happy and it would be worth it. Maybe a community group could do it, if there was enough people with the will to do it.

We see this kind of philanthropy I guess, but it's not on the scale I've seen elsewhere.

I sometimes wonder why we don't see more people with the financial ability invest in a project to fill voids like this that is intended to reach break-even rather than turn a profit. Boston has hometown billionaires who care about their community, I'm sure some of these people can see the void. Just a thought. It's something I see in other countries but not here, where the local wealthy people actually build wonderful things for their home communities (like museums) because they knew something was lacking. I mean, if I was able to I would want to build a modern entertainment facility to fill this void. Would I think it would turn a profit? No, but it would make myself and others happy and it would be worth it. Maybe a community group could do it, if there was enough people with the will to do it.

We see this kind of philanthropy I guess, but it's not on the scale I've seen elsewhere.
Jouhou -- Who do you think built our Great [World renown] Cultural Institutions -- there was no City, State or Federal involvement [to speak of] -- just philanthropy by their founders

Same it true of all of our Great Research U's [except for UMass] -- all the rest were the result of philanthropy

We don't have a Lincoln Center - -we have a Wang Center -- rebuilt or renovated with private money

But don't despair -- I'm sure that Michael Dell will eventually do something to benefit his "2nd Home" for Dell Technologies

Back