Rock Row (née The Ridge, née Dirigo Plaza) | Westbrook, ME

C31C88D6-00CE-4DE4-BD49-3B6893EFC658.jpeg

Nice progress on the medical building. I wish progress on everything else at Rock Row was as quick!

I noticed yesterday that the new medical building is now quite visible from the northbound approach on the Turnpike. I didn't get a photo (driving will do that), but if anyone else happens to be going that way, either on the Pike or the Congress St. overpass, might be worth a shot if you're able to safely take one.

Last edited:
I stopped by last night and saw that they've added some "envision this" stuff to the dirt parking lot where they're planning to build all the cool stuff...
PXL_20230718_002608396.MP.jpgPXL_20230718_002718559.jpg

Follow-up: not only have they updated their website, they have released a new retail brochure (I linked to the landing page on their site, not the PDF itself). Lots of pretty pictures abound!

Follow-up: not only have they updated their website, they have released a new retail brochure (I linked to the landing page on their site, not the PDF itself). Lots of pretty pictures abound!
Page 15 of the pdf is a little unusual in that when showing off the “healing gardens” along I-95 (I’m assuming it’s not a respiratory illness someone is trying to overcome) the picture seems to indicate they’re going to reconfigure the Westbrook Arterial and I-95 to intersect at the same grade. I have a hard time believing this or that they’re going to be introducing crosswalks at that intersection but maybe I’m misinterpreting this picture.
395A6EBC-C5E6-4E0B-AEAB-9787A7935BC7.jpeg

Interstate highways can never have at-grade intersections so this is either very wishful thinking on the part of the developer or just an inaccuracy by whoever did the rendering (probably the later)

In regards to the "Healing Garden" and "Nordic Therapy Lagoon" it really seems like the developers are just throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I don't know about the lagoon, but there is already a Healing Garden of sorts at the existing NECS facility in the former KMart, so I'm assuming this is an expansion of that concept. And the Turnpike already has some elevation at that point since it's rising up to the RR overpass, so between that and, I'm guessing, some clever application of berms, I don't think the fumes will be bad.

I had the chance to visit this new development after being back in the region for the first time in a few years. I hold out hope, but realize it may take some years to fully develop.
The retail looked fine and brings some new chains to the region, but underwhelming. It seems these mixed-use lifestyle centers are the new replacement malls in many cities. This concept should work in Maine, although the climate could hamper things a bit. If they can make the quarry a draw and have recreational options around as planned it is a huge plus, but am surprised more of the urban core amenities and residential have not started yet to create momentum. The last thing Westbrook should do is allow plan amendments to develop as strip malls and low rise residential.

The Portland area has a bit of a conundrum as many major national retail chains are spread around. Some at the Maine Mall, some may end up at Rock Row, a few more downtown, and then others in Freeport and as far south as Kittery. I honestly don't know what's better. Multiple locations seem better, but having them at one location creates synergy.

Speaking of malls, what is the plan for the Maine Mall, if there is any? I visited on a rainy day and it has a decent line-up of stores inside for an aging mall (The IT at Jordan's Furniture is pretty cool), but what is going on with that parking lot and out-parcels?! What a waste of opportunity. The acres of vacant parking lots is like building the church for Easter Sunday. It will never get fully utilized, the pavement is in horrible condition and with no streetscape at entry it gives a poor initial impression of the mall. And the growing vacancies of the surrounding out-parcels is noticeable. I know there have been on-going issues on valuation between the mall owners and South Portland, but have they looked at getting some residential in those parking lots or connected to the mall to generate activity, dining options, and more housing for the region with jobs and possible office right there and off an expanding interstate and next to the airport? I mean you could add a gym, Hannaford's is next door, a small food market (Aldi concept) put in some recreational trails and possible water feature.
Make it the dominant retail center in Northern New England and give it new life? Rock Row could eventually have a nice mix of retail, but I don't think its enough to replace the Maine Mall retail square footage. Is that true?
I think as the Portland region grows it could support 2 of these types of developments. Agree/disagree?

Excellent points and I am in complete agreement with your assessment of Rock Row and also feel that the quarry itself needs to be fully utilized especially during warmer months. As far as the Maine Mall, it is actually healthy and has one of the lowest vacancy rates in New England at last check. Malls across the country are suffering due to online options and the inability to retool after the pandemic fallout. The saving grace for our mall is that Greater Portland is just shy of having the population base to warrant an additional regional mall like many larger cities throughout the country have and that helps eliminate competition. That said, options like Rock Row, Freeport, and the Old Port will continue to impact the overall vitality and volume at the Maine Mall.

The parking and satellite areas around the mall do need improvements and some substantial residential offerings have been completed recently on the perimeter road that you may have missed during your visit. I personally would like to see one of the local car dealerships think outside the box and convert the former Sears property into a large indoor showroom that is accessible from inside the mall and utilize the shuddered auto center as their own service and maintenance facility. The square footage could accommodate many vehicles and it would be climate controlled throughout the winter and dry and comfortable during rainy days and only a short walk to the food court!

Speaking of malls, what is the plan for the Maine Mall, if there is any? I visited on a rainy day and it has a decent line-up of stores inside for an aging mall (The IT at Jordan's Furniture is pretty cool), but what is going on with that parking lot and out-parcels?! What a waste of opportunity. The acres of vacant parking lots is like building the church for Easter Sunday. It will never get fully utilized, the pavement is in horrible condition and with no streetscape at entry it gives a poor initial impression of the mall. And the growing vacancies of the surrounding out-parcels is noticeable. I know there have been on-going issues on valuation between the mall owners and South Portland, but have they looked at getting some residential in those parking lots or connected to the mall to generate activity, dining options, and more housing for the region with jobs and possible office right there and off an expanding interstate and next to the airport? I mean you could add a gym, Hannaford's is next door, a small food market (Aldi concept) put in some recreational trails and possible water feature.
Make it the dominant retail center in Northern New England and give it new life? Rock Row could eventually have a nice mix of retail, but I don't think its enough to replace the Maine Mall retail square footage. Is that true?
I think as the Portland region grows it could support 2 of these types of developments. Agree/disagree?

There have been some high level conceptual plans floated to transform the mall, but nothing concrete. Just ideas at this point.

The parking and satellite areas around the mall do need improvements and some substantial residential offerings have been completed recently on the perimeter road that you may have missed during your visit. I personally would like to see one of the local car dealerships think outside the box and convert the former Sears property into a large indoor showroom that is accessible from inside the mall and utilize the shuddered auto center as their own service and maintenance facility. The square footage could accommodate many vehicles and it would be climate controlled throughout the winter and dry and comfortable during rainy days and only a short walk to the food court!
A couple of years ago, I saw something regarding the CDC needing to come up with 10-15000 sq ft locations nationwide for COVID vaccine centers. It struck me that this country is littered with hundreds of empty facilities that would fit the bill precisely: empty Sears stores! And AFAIK Sears owns most of their real estate (including the store at the Mall) so a temporary Spirit Hallowe'en- style lease would have worked admirably,

Fortunately, they were able to make arrangements and hopefully the need won't arise again in our lifetimes. But I still thought that would have been a perfect fit.

Another thing regarding the Mall parking lots: apparently, the Mall ownership wants an exceedingly high price for those pad locations. That was the reason On The Border gave when they closed, anyway, and they still seemed to be doing fair business at the time.

On the border did not close because of the mall management. The parcel it sits on was owned by sears. When the mall was built, Jordan Marsh owned the property around it. Almost like a subdivision. Thats why parts of the parking lots are in better shape than the others. The sears store and the property around it had to go through bankruptcy court. Now they are on the market for sale or lease.

Agreed that the mall currently has a decent line up of stores and the vacancy rates are better then a lot of other malls. Also with the out-parcels under a variety of ownership it makes coordination more difficult as Sears did that with a lot of stores as its better to own the real estate. Glad to see the link to a redevelopment plan was floated. The apartments recently built near Clark's Pond could have been built in the sea of parking near Jordan's or JC Penny, but easy for me to say when it's not my money or project.

The advantage the owners of the Maine Mall have is they are the lone super-regional mall in the area with little competition, so not much emphasis to invest and up their game to make mall entryways, parking lot improvements or add at least some landscaping along the perimeter or landscaped parking medians, or freshen up the mall exterior or façade to make it consistent. It could be different if you had competition from other shopping malls like in other metros. I know recent times have made it tough on the mall operators but it would freshen up and modernize the looks of Maine Mall, Gorham, and Philbrook Rd/Ave. If they were able to up the ante it might have a cascade effect on some of the other strip malls along the stretch.
We've upped ours, so up yours!

The PPH covers the opening of Quarryside, an event space and beer garden (so now they have dueling beer gardens with the one at Cowbell?)

Quarryside is perched on the edge of the massive, 400-foot-deep quarry at Rock Row. Olsson estimated that the event space at Quarryside stretches over 30,000 square feet, and will be able to host 1,000 people. The Quarryside space also includes a beer garden – run by Lone Pine Brewing Company – that can host about 300 people and features a 2,400-square-foot tent with picnic table seating inside.

Quarryside also includes a large stage for live music and a children’s playground. Olsson said the site will be open year-round....

It's perhaps worth noting that this "year-round" space is still a dirt parking lot. I haven't gone in yet; hope to stop by and look this weekend if there isn't a cover.

1692192631450.png

Pulled this from the Rock Row website, since PPH didn't include a photo. This is a cool idea, but the orientation seems a bit odd. Why not put the seating areas on the quarry side of Quarryside? Maybe it's different in person, I'd like to check it out.

Back