Rock Row (née The Ridge, née Dirigo Plaza) | Westbrook, ME

Looks like they found some balance with the amount and frequency of concerts along with reasonable noise limitations. Maybe the promoters can book Hootie and the Blowfish with the Barenaked Ladies this summer! As far as the weird news, the questionable lawsuit will disappear in the near future or get thrown out with the garbage.

That aerial rendering on the prior page is impressive, more urban looking than I expected. If built it would be an interesting counterpoint to all the auto dealerships in this part of Westbrook.

Out of curiosity, is any of this project technically in Portland? Looking at some maps and it looks like Portland extends a bit over the turnpike into a bit of the quarry. For example, on the north side of Brighton Avenue the Motel 6 is in Portland (lucky us).

Out of curiosity, is any of this project technically in Portland? Looking at some maps and it looks like Portland extends a bit over the turnpike into a bit of the quarry. For example, on the north side of Brighton Avenue the Motel 6 is in Portland (lucky us).

There is a small section of the property that is technically in Portland. The original Dirigo plaza plans did require City of Portland Planning Board review and approval. The City got what they wanted out of those approvals with transportation improvements in Portland paid for by the developer. Since then the City of Portland Planning board has waived joint review requirements and let the City of Westbrook Planning Board approve any site plan amendments.

Part of the adjoining land on the Portland side is owned by the city; the Council has it on their docket to sell to Waterstone with a positive recommendation from staff, but they haven't pulled the trigger yet.

LOTS of new (and great) info in this article, including the conceptual site plan (shown below) and confirmation of the plan to link the site to downtown Westbrook and the Portland Transportation Center via light rail:

http://news.keepmecurrent.com/rock-...IYzYD1YC_jV80eaS2-aHzcX926jdzYj-Xiu84FjdL0Dao

xrockrowsiteplan.jpg.pagespeed.ic.UfZb5nXCpm.webp

I am curious to see what the Rock Row temporary concert venue is going to look like. It appears that they have a lot of work to do before the first concert on May 26th. I am interested in a few of the concerts they have scheduled but at this time I won't purchase tickets until I see what the venue looks like (parking, seating, vendors, etc.).

I wish the developers well with their vision but it has a similar feel to it as Thompson's Point did a decade ago which still has not produced any new buildings. Looks like the Children's Museum will actually become a reality which is a positive along with a Market Basket for Rock Row. Just hope it's not a lot of smoke and mirrors with limited financial backing to pull it all off.

That's exciting that a city the size of Portland is considering building new light rail routes. I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure that would make Portland the smallest city with local rail transportation (excluding Amtrak).

Where would the light rail line go into Portland? Would it have any additional stops? Is this actually a serious proposal?

I was thinking:
ON EXISTING RAILROAD ROW:
Westbrook

Cottage St.

Rock Row

Rosemont

Transportation Center

ON PARK AVE/ PORTLAND ST:

Hadlock Field

Deering Oaks

ON CUMBERLAND AVE:

Downtown

ON FRANKLIN ST:
Franklin St

Cruise Terminal

My impression is that it would connect Cumberland Mills (the area near the mill), Rock Row and the PTC ( Amtrak station). It's important to note that this isn't a public initiative, it's the developers of Rock Row who are driving it.

I am curious to see what the Rock Row temporary concert venue is going to look like. It appears that they have a lot of work to do before the first concert on May 26th. I am interested in a few of the concerts they have scheduled but at this time I won't purchase tickets until I see what the venue looks like (parking, seating, vendors, etc.).

I went by there today .they were doing a lot of work.i got tickets for shinedown and Alice Cooper there

I went by there today .they were doing a lot of work.i got tickets for shinedown and Alice Cooper there

I hope that they can build a permanent facility there faster than they have in Bangor.

I wonder why they have such a hard time building an actual bowl type concert venue in Maine? This place looks flat....just like Bangor.

I wonder why they have such a hard time building an actual bowl type concert venue in Maine? This place looks flat....just like Bangor.

I think the renderings are a bit deceiving. If you watch the site walk video (link below) you can see the back of the venue is about 14' above the stage. Not a huge slope but not flat. There is only so much you can do to build up for a temporary venue. The renderings of the venue in its final position towards the southwest corner of the property once Phase 3 is built out show a much more pronounced bowl.

https://www.facebook.com/RockRowPavilion/videos/408913869948699/

Last edited:
I think the renderings are a bit deceiving. If you watch the site walk video (link below) you can see the back of the venue is about 14' above the stage. Not a huge slope but not flat. There is only so much you can do to build up for a temporary venue. The renderings of the venue in its final position towards the southwest corner of the property once Phase 3 is built out show a much more pronounced bowl.

https://www.facebook.com/RockRowPavilion/videos/408913869948699/

I hope that you are right. I'll believe the "permanent" facility thing when I see it but I think that Rock Row has a better shot at building it than the Waterfront in Bangor does.

Rock Row just announced today that Cinemark not to be confused with Cinemagic will be building a 12 screen theatre opening 2021. I dont know if an IMAX theatre is included.

Back