Rock Row (née The Ridge, née Dirigo Plaza) | Westbrook, ME

Could a moderator please move this to the Maine forum? Thank you!

Rock Row has a workshop before the Westbrook Planning Board tomorrow night, regarding reconfiguring some of the driveways, etc. Staff notes seem down on the proposal, but the comments also come right out and say "Chick-Fil-A" in the spot I was pretty sure was going to be the Starbucks (right next to the Main St. entrance where the new lights are going in).

Also, this is a year old but I hadn't seen it:

Residential component being added to the development. Seems under-scale for their vision at only four stories.

190 homes is nothing to sneeze at – and 4 stories makes sense, that maximizes the density you can get with all-wood construction, and they'll still have lots of land out there for additional development in the future.

They really need some critical mass out there if they want to start a new neighborhood from scratch, so adding some households seems like a good start.

So far, this project is just so underwhelming. It's something fitting for the outskirts of Biddeford, next to the Walmart and Target. I would focus on new population arrivals to Maine. NYC has a population of nearly 8 million. I, along with thousands and thousands of others, are effectively working remotely. For the most part, we are not going back. I would re-design the residential component of this project with the latest in fiber optics. I would make it so internet and tech ready that Musk would consider living here. Give me something at Rock Row I like and I'll live here. Yes, I'm headed back to Maine (Portland). I won't miss that $4,200 a month rent payment for a one bedroom apartment. The Market Basket is not a lure--Whole Foods, yes. Rock Row is a 5 minute drive to the Jetport (less than a 1 hour flight to JFK or La Guardia). Rock Row is a ten minute drive to the train station (never taking that bus to mid-town again, that's for sure). Rock Row is less than a two hour drive to Boston, or mere minutes to nothing but trees, lakes, or mountains. I also like the prospects for Wells, residential development near the train station and turnpike exit, with only a 70 minute drive to Logan.

I was at Market Basket in Manchester a few days ago and asked one of the district managers when the Plymouth, NH store will open. He responded by explaining that the Plymouth store will not open until the Westbrook store is complete or near completion since their Maine liquor license will expire soon. The manager explained that it is all hands on deck for their Westbrook store to open ASAP. He also mentioned they will be opening other Maine stores but was not sure where. Disappointing since last time I had chatted he stated that they were interested on the Portland peninsula for a new store.

At the end of the day, I'm just happy this project is coming out to be anything that resembles the original proposal. As we know, big proposals in Portland/large development areas (see Thompsons Point) tend to falter. Seems like these guys know what they're doing.

Yes, true, but now in our new corona virus world, its a whole new ball game. New York and Boston don't seem to be that attractive a place to live and work now. Facebook is pulling back on sending 6,000 new workers to Hudson Yards development in NYC. Where will they go? The new Fore Street waterfront development in Portland could convert its original 700 condo plan to more office space. Portland is a better place to be in a virus world. It has no tall buildings--density.

So far, this project is just so underwhelming.

Agreed. Starting out with the concert venue was not a great idea. Instead of going high tech, latest & greatest retail, dining & entertainment......they went with the dusty outdoor concert venue straight out of Bangor.:rolleyes:

The concert venue in Boston is on prime property on the waterfront Rockland pavillion and at some point were going to sell the tent which Rock Row is looking for. That seats at least 7500

Agreed. Starting out with the concert venue was not a great idea. Instead of going high tech, latest & greatest retail, dining & entertainment......they went with the dusty outdoor concert venue straight out of Bangor.:rolleyes:

Well, they did say numerous times while going through the approval process that it was a temporary "proof of concept," so I can see why they decided not to invest too much. As it is, the venue still cost them about $5 million to build out. I think once they prove the concept and move the venue to the southeast corner of the property as planned, we'll see a much more quality investment in the venue.

Pure speculation, but my best guess is that the building shown here in the video is this initial planned residential component. If I recall correctly from other site maps they've provided, the interior of the building will likely be a hidden parking garage. I think the building just to the left in this screen show is the planned hotel.

Capture.PNG

Well, they did say numerous times while going through the approval process that it was a temporary "proof of concept," so I can see why they decided not to invest too much. As it is, the venue still cost them about $5 million to build out. I think once they prove the concept and move the venue to the southeast corner of the property as planned, we'll see a much more quality investment in the venue.
At the open house last year, it was stated that the ultimate goal is for something much more like Meadowbrook, with a permanent structure and even closable doors. But let's not overlook that opening the concert venue first gave the overall development cash flow, traffic management experience, and mind share.

The new lights on Main St. have electricity now, flashing yellow.

8,000 capacity conference center planned for Phase 3

Some key quotes from the article:

"Dates for phase 2 have not yet been announced. Phase 1, featuring a Market Basket, is underway and nearing completion. Levy said the company will announce within the next few months additional major tenants, including a health care provider and a large outdoor recreation retailer."

"The temporary outdoor Maine Savings Pavilion will be taken down once the conference center is built, which has always been part of the plan. Residents who have complained in the past about noise from concerts at the pavilion also have called for a permanent, enclosed venue."

It looks like Market Basket is getting closer to opening... they've removed the concrete barriers and "Road Closed" sign at the Main St. entrance and now it's just blocked with orange cones. Landscaping appears to be in place and final asphalt and striping as well.

Back