Rose Kennedy Greenway

both proposals for these parcels (Libeskind & Safdie) are terrible.

i much preferred walking beneath the highway overpass and past overflowing dumpsters that were here before. :cry:

What would you do to improve it. It is pretty good for something that is temporary.

I would definitely add park benches!! Even if it's only temporary or just a pedestrian shortcut, benches would be a nice addition. This pedestrian walkway from the Boston Harbor Hotel to the Intercontinental is a long enough distance to justify some benches scattered along the walkway.

How about adding a donation bucket to pay for a better temporary park.

By the time they get enough money to pay someone to collect the money, the temporary park will be gone

Just got back from the Mayor's Surface Artery Task Force public meeting. It was interesting to say the least.

Here's what I got out of it:

--The Greenway Conservancy is now at the center of the design, development, and operating the Greenway, working along side the BRA, the state, and the MTA.

--Some of the parks will open this spring.

--MassHort is probably going to sue the MTA in order to keep its designation.

--The Conservancy is asking the public for ideas for interim uses of the three prime ex-MassHort parcels (19, 21, and 22). This is a great opportunity for us forumers to throw our two cents in.

--The community activists were wearing their crazy caps. They fear that the Conservancy wants to build a hotel or some sort of building on the MassHort parcels.

I'd still like to see something like the Garden Under Glass. Bring in a different organization to build it -- perhaps the Arnold Arboretum, or the Worcester County Horticultural Society (which runs Tower Hill in Boylston, MA).

Ron, I think most people would like to see something like the Garden Under Glass. Something like that will definitely be built there. However, the biggest issue right now is the interim use of those parcels. There has to be some on them that will be creative, exciting, and cheap (gasp!).

Any suggestions?

Perhaps some more ordinary, less expensive kind of greenhouses for the time being? And a year-round indoor produce market -- perhaps selling some of what is grown in the greenhouses?

I've said it before: Harvard should be asked to build and operate this botanical garden, as a downtown outpost of the arboretum. They have the money, and the city will have leverage since Harvard wants their 50-year Allston master plan approved.

That's a great idea for the long-term. But what about the short-term. Ron's idea of an indoor farmers market and temporary greenhouse is great.

Any more short-term suggestions?

shiz02130 said:
I've said it before: Harvard should be asked to build and operate this botanical garden, as a downtown outpost of the arboretum. They have the money, and the city will have leverage since Harvard wants their 50-year Allston master plan approved.

That would be a great idea, and something that i could actually see happening.

I also like the idea of an indoor farmers market.

I say ditch the Garden Under Glass plan. Maintaining a healthy indoor botanical garden in Boston will be fabulously expensive, and, though surely popular, won't draw in as many people as the sight deserves. I say build a bigger replica of Eastern Market. See here http://www.easternmarketdc.com/ for more info. Have the city or turnpike or whoever is writing checks for the Greenway pay for the building, and then rent out stalls to pay for the maintenance. People would go crazy for that stuff. It'd be Quincy Market as it used to be without all the dreck, and provide a shopping option for all the residents pouring into the Seaport and Ladder District. Plus, all the South Station commuters could swing in to buy dinner items to take home with them. The end result would be a huge asset for the city (and unlike museums, it's not visitor-focused), and it would make plenty of money to maintain itself without being a burden to taxpayers.

shiz02130 said:

The city should make Harvard pay for something that has nothing to do with Harvard because the city has leverage? And because Harvard has money? There's a term for that, right?

Maybe Harvard should pony up for the West End Museum while they've got their checkbook out. And I could use some new snow tires, though I don't issue permits so I guess I'm out of luck.

already been done

Maybe Harvard should pony up for the West End Museum while they've got their checkbook out. And I could use some new snow tires, though I don't issue permits so I guess I'm out of luck.

A resident of Gloucester forced a developer on the South Boston Seaport to pay for the 'extremely busy and popular' West End Museum.

In reality the developers pay for nothing for all this mitigation, the people who buy the condos get stuck with the bill, making Boston even more expensive.

a farmer's market, in the financial district? keep that garbage in somerville. I would rather have a barren dust wasteland than a bunch of farmers selling their crap to tourists. This is somehow a worse idea than building condos in an economic climate that doesn't make said development profitable.

Back