Rose Kennedy Greenway

The tourist rationale is naive, though it's real and takes care of itself. Pay no mind to it.

The tourists stumble upon Haymarket and recognize an authentic manifestation of place (not imagineered). They take it home with them in their minds, even if they don't buy a bag of oranges. The real customers are Vietnamese and Iranian residents of Boston, for whom it's a godsend.

For an urbanist, this all makes a nice mix. Europeans I take there are enthralled and impressed: like home, but with a hard, American edge.

The article didn't mention Haymarket at all. Do the planners of the market hope to replace it? Is this Globe writer that misinformed as to its existence? It's such a fragile little ecosystem, and it's survived so much up to this point...but I'm constantly afraid for its life.

No, this has nothing to do with Haymarket, it's entirely separate and indoors.

Ron, I know. I'm talking about the EFFECT on Haymarket.

The article reads as if Boston has no downtown public market whatsoever. It sounds like no one is even thinking about the big one next door.

Also, posting the render (of the sign, I guess?) because no one else has yet:

market539__1280413275_1195.jpg

I've always hated this building. It should have been built tall enough to blot out the ugly vent stacks on the skyline. But I fantasize about the market (if it extends and doesn't destroy Haymarket) expanding to take over the parking garage components.

Funny how they forgot to show the 8 lane road that roars along next to the building.

Those awnings and that sign is horrendous. Nice project though and one that can surely compliment, not compete with, haymarket. If anything, it could compete with the "faux marketplace" feel of Quincy Market.

We'll see. It's not so much economic competition I'm worried about as the city pulling health/safety/whatever permits on the place and either forcing them to move inside (and pay crippling rent) or telling them to hit the road. I could easily see Boston "cleansing" the Haymarket once it has the excuse of an indoor public market nearby. The same thing happened with street loading of Chinatown buses, after all. There will invariably be some justification involving the improvement of the Greenway edges to take the jolt out of it.

There's less chance it will compete with Quincy Market, which is basically a mall housed in old buildings. The merchandise is different, and Quincy Market is historic, whereas this building is anything but. I'd actually rather see mall stores in this building and produce stands recolonize Quincy Market, but I digress.

Once every plaza, parking lot and empty building in Boston hosts a public market, we might have to find a new trendy shortcut to urban vitality.

Haymarket will not be forced to move inside, because the indoor market is for local farm products only, and Haymarket's merchandise is non-local.

Also, the Globe article does mention Haymarket, even citing its proximity as a reason to put the public market here:
The first was a 2009 study by the city that zeroed in on a location for the market. The study recommended a food market district be formed around the existing weekend produce and fish vendors on Blackstone Street, an ideal location for the market because of its proximity to the Greenway and other tourist destinations, such as Faneuil Hall.

Haymarket has survived the original construction of the Central Artery as well as the Big Dig. It will survive this too.

A Greenway urban code broken
Theft of 10 patio chairs leads to locking them up
By Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff | July 30, 2010

In the annals of Boston crime, this theft will never rank with the famed Brinks robbery or the infamous art heist at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. But somehow it is almost as disturbing: Over the last month, thieves slowly stole 10 of the 56 patio chairs from the stretch of the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway in the North End.

The culprits grabbed the antique bronze-colored seats a few at a time, making off with the roughly 10-pound chairs. The popular moveable park furniture had sat undisturbed for the past three summers, a novel urban experiment that allowed visitors to arrange seats as they saw fit, day or night.

?That?s a shame,?? said Dave Flynn, 40, as he sat on one of the remaining chairs and clutched a two-handed pastrami sandwich from nearby Nick Varano?s Famous Deli yesterday. ?There?s nothing worse than a thief.??

This week, Greenway officials will begin collecting the tables and chairs each night and securing them with a lock and chain.

The thefts have occurred only in the North End, but officials do not plan to take chances along the rest of the Greenway. Near Rowes Wharf, the 13 new table sets with lime-green umbrellas will also be locked up, as will the new chair near South Station.

?Every park experiences some drip, drip away; things break, and so we replace them,?? said Nancy Brennan, executive director of the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy. ?But what really got our attention was 10 going missing in a month.??

The chairs cost less than $150 each, Brennan said, and ?we will replace them.??

The thefts are more than a strike at the Greenway, a fledging ribbon of parks built atop that Big Dig that have struggled for financing and faced other setbacks.

Stealing the chairs broke an urban code that had been respected until this summer, giving the new open space a pass so it had time to mature.

?When something is new, it has a sacred quality,?? said Matt DeFanza, a 23-year-old student from New Jersey who sat at one of the tables and chairs yesterday with a slice of pizza. ?Maybe that has faded.??

DeFanza?s lunch partner, Isabella Ciolfi, 19, sat with bare feet, curled up in her chair, and thought about what would happen to moveable chairs in a park in her hometown. ?I mean in Worcester they would just disappear,?? Ciolfi said.

Other parks have been successful with moveable furniture, like Bryant Park in New York, which has 4,600 chairs and 600 tables in a place once so seedy it was known as Needle Park.

?They almost never walk,?? said Dan Biederman, president of Bryant Park Corporation. ?The trick is to make an environment that feels completely civil. The crowds become part of the security force. It takes time, but the Greenway will get there.??

In Boston, much has been made of the honor system in Post Office Square, where square vinyl cushions are handed out so people can sit comfortably on the grass. In more than a decade since the practice began, none have been stolen, but the $5 cushions are collected each afternoon and stored in the parking garage beneath the lawn, which is formally named The Norman B. Leventhal Park.

?But I also think they would disappear if we left them out,?? Pam Messenger, the general manager of the Friends of Post Office Square. ?And if we had beautiful cabana chairs on the lawn, they would probably disappear too.??

Andrew Ryan can be reached at acryan@globe.com.

Am I the only one stunned that it took three years for the chairs to begin to walk . . .

Assuming the worst in people is usually the way to go.

Funny how they forgot to show the 8 lane road that roars along next to the building.

Actually if I got the perspective right. People are just hanging out on the street.

Haymarket will not be forced to move inside, because the indoor market is for local farm products only, and Haymarket's merchandise is non-local.

This is a good thing. The current Haymarket is kind of gross. It's mostly leftovers that the supermarkets wouldn't buy from the New England Produce Center.

From my own visits to Haymarket, it appears to me that Haymarket is patronized by a population that depends on it for survival, not epicurean adventures.

The dozens of City and non-profit representatives (Conservancy, Food Market, etc.) that are engaged in the creation of a new farmer's market might consider unintended consequences of any disruption to Haymarket.

My concern arises because I haven't seen anything but lip service regarding Haymarket's role with respect to Boston's lower income and residential communities. Without trying to sound like a bleeding heart, it's possible these folks are unrepresented in the dialog.

This is a good thing. The current Haymarket is kind of gross. It's mostly leftovers that the supermarkets wouldn't buy from the New England Produce Center.

I've made many wonderful meals using fruits and vegetables from Haymarket. Yes, some of the produce can look a little tired at the end of the day on Saturday, but I don't think it's as bad as you describe it to be.

I'm not understanding why you or other folks think this will disrupt Haymarket at all, since it's indoors and on a different piece of land.

^Ron Newman

The indoor farmer's market is a fine plan, but my recollection is that within recent months other options being floated in the media included merging the market with Haymarket and/or shifting Haymarket onto the Greenway.

Boston's ham-handed history of renewal efforts, particularly at Charles River Park and Downtown Crossing with the loss of Filenes, have had resonant impacts worth considering. For example, the loss of the West End created an entire generation of displaced residents who remained angry and politically opposed to what would otherwise have been considered positive new developments in other areas of town.

I have not seen an article or discussion that highlighted Haymarket's role in maintaining a level of affordability for certain populations.

The point may not be obvious, particularly if perceptions of Haymarket as "gross" are most prevalent.

Isn't the usual solution to movable urban furniture theft to make the chairs and such ridiculously heavy? I've visited parks where the chairs were impossible to pick up and carry; the most you could do was drag them around a bit.

Back