Rose Kennedy Greenway

This title says it all.

Greenway Funding Lacking; Not Nonprofit's Salaries
Parts Of Project Remain Undeveloped
POSTED: 5:14 pm EDT July 22, 2010
The Rose Kennedy Greenway is a beautiful compliment to busy Quincy Market and Boston's packed North End, but parts of it remain undeveloped because of lack of funding.

Children enjoy a carousel ride, while grownups search for the perfect veggie at the farmer's market, but a plan to create an urban nursery is on hold.

Private donations are down, and the state has cut funding to $2.2 million from $3 million last year.

"It will be a very tight year," Greenway Conservancy Executive Director Nancy Brennan said.

Team 5 asked Brennan, who makes $200,000, how tight her budget really is. A review of the conservancy's most recent tax filing shows the nonprofit spent $550,000 on consultants.

"The consultant figure is made up of a variety of smaller contracts. One of the things we have been careful about is not to hire too many full time staff," Brennan said.

But, among the full-time staff is a director of park operations who makes $131,000 compared to his state counterparts who make a little more than half that salary.

"Our head of park operations has a deep background in engineering, which is what you would want him to have to be on top this tunnel," Brennan said.

"I think our colleagues at DCR are pretty highly skilled," Transportation Secretary Jeffrey Mullan said.

The state is responsible for half the maintenance costs along the Greenway and will only reimburse at the rate a state worker gets paid.

"The way we chose to address it was to cap it there and let the conservancy fund the balance of that salary," Mullan said.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/24357955/detail.html

Does anybody know what comparable compensation is for the CEO of a $5M non-profit?

The only examples I can think of are bigger non-profits and those executives make far more (e.g., Gates Foundation ~ $1M; Partners Healthcare ~ $2.5M; MoMA > $2M). But those aren't fair comparisons (both because the institutions are bigger and because the only reason I know the salaries are because they were sited as "top earners" in the non-profit world).

Perhaps, but giving away public property (as opposed to trying to maximize value for the taxpayers) has its own issues. Also, were the designated developers (YMCA, New Center for Arts and Culture, and Boston Museum) actually going to pay anything for the land?

If any designated non-profit "developers" can't build, should they be un-designated?

Ideas like "Garden under Glass," "Boston Museum," "New Center for the Arts" seem like trial balloons as an attempt by the old hacks and PR flacks to raise funding -- not solid proposals by organizations with a pre-existing base of financial support. When the ICA was given free land, it raised the capital to build. If the ramps take an expense to cover, the designated developer should be allowed to have at least some commercial component in addition to cover those expenses.

Regarding ^The Rifleman

What a disgrace.

Who can forget the Wang Center's CEO pulling down $800k+.

Heck, they need a guy to think outside the box in order to attract Cats and Chorus Line.

I'd certainly agree with adding commercial development if that will get the projects built.

Garden Under Glass was supposed to be built on solid land, so the cost of covering ramps was not an issue for them.

The YMCA is a solid and respected organization, but they still have not been able to get their project started on the northernmost ramp parcel.

Does anybody know what comparable compensation is for the CEO of a $5M non-profit?

The only examples I can think of are bigger non-profits and those executives make far more (e.g., Gates Foundation ~ $1M; Partners Healthcare ~ $2.5M; MoMA > $2M). But those aren't fair comparisons (both because the institutions are bigger and because the only reason I know the salaries are because they were sited as "top earners" in the non-profit world).

The Non-profit industry needs to be restructured under Uncle Sam. The only problem is our Govt is completely irresponsible at this point to hold anybody accountable. The Gates and Buffett foundation is a legal way to preserve their wealth for their Families and friends. Who do you think actually works for these organizations? This also keeps the majority of the wealth focused on certain interests and industries.

The Greenway Conservancy should be audited for every single cent and should hold Nancy Brennan accountable for any type of mishandled funds.

The Gates and Buffett foundation is a legal way to preserve their wealth for their Families and friends. Who do you think actually works for these organizations?
If Bill Gates pays his friend to be the director of The Gates Foundation, the friend still pays income taxes. He just avoids the gift tax which is only a few percentage points higher than the highest income tax bracket.

They've got the shade problem sorted out!

4822084854_b99c469e37.jpg

Six-figure salary: justified.

I work in fundraising and cannot believe that the Greenway can't raise the necessary funds. It shows that they don't really care about fundraising and just want to have no-show jobs that pay very well. How could you spend a half million on consulting? What exactly did these consultants do? If this was any other organization, Nancy Brennan and her team would have been shown the door after failing to raise the necessary funds.

If Bill Gates pays his friend to be the director of The Gates Foundation, the friend still pays income taxes. He just avoids the gift tax which is only a few percentage points higher than the highest income tax bracket.

It's not about Bill Gates friend paying income taxes. It's about the foundation actually being a tax shelter and protecting the net worth for the 50 or 100 Billion that Gates and Buffett are actually worth.

This secures close friends and famalies with secure jobs and very special controlling interest and business groups.

When you hear that the Gates foundation donated 5 Million dollars to fight aids all they are doing is sending a part of the interest payments on their principle balance for the month to an organization to do research that is meaningful. I'm not saying this is bad thing, but the middle class taxpayer picks up their tab from a society that has become very unbalanced because of legal loop holes for the super elite.

I think, by law, for a organization to qualify as a charitable foundation, it is required to give away 5% of it's assets each year. The Gates Foundation has given away literally billions of dollars in grants and outright donations. Frankly, they don't need to give away any of their money and as far as trying to protect their assets, hell, don't we all do that in whatever small way we can? So they hire their family and friends, it's their money in the first place. Very different from government sponsored charitable foundations where much of the money comes from all of us and people hire their family and friends to maintain the trust. And trust me, I'm all for taxing the rich at a higher rate!

Went to the Greenway yesterday for the 1st time,must say the place was packed,was with my elderly mother and my young niece and 3 dogs! We had a blast,plenty to do,plenty of places to sit(in the shade),dogs had a great time too! Maybe not the whole Greenway but where I was,was cool and fun!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxbos147.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxbos150.jpg
of course alot of what was happening was close to Quincy Market but it all seem to seamusly weld together!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxbos143.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxbos144.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxbos149.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxbos148.jpg
they need to redo those 2 low rise brick extentions,maybe turn them into lowrise apts
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxbos151.jpg
even saw a parade!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxbos152.jpg

That's where the Garden Under Glass was supposed to go. The Conservancy should recruit someone other than MassHort to try again there.

How 'bout they GIVE it to Druker to develop for profit ANY WAY HE CHOOSES, provided he leaves Shreve, Crump and Low alone --just cleans it up a bit.

I'm the CFO at a non-profit with a budget of $15 million. $200,000 for the CEO at a $5 million organization is a bit high in my opinion, but not radically so. The compensation really shouldn't be connected to budget as much as to skill and work output. I don't have any idea what goes on with this Greenway group, so whether $200,000 is justifiable remains an open question, though I wouldn't rule it out.

I had this crazy idea I've been mulling over for a few days that includes light rail, building on most parks, and elimination of roughly half of the cross streets.

My idea is running the light rail primarily straight up the middle of the RKG. Parcels that are built on will have buildings along both sides, and even above, the line. Stations would have high glass ceilings to let light in and create a pretty cool atmosphere. This creates a subway, but you're still at grade. On park parcels, place plates over the ties and then lay sod (spelling? lengths of pregrown grass) over the plates.

This combines a few ideas into one pretty cool project. This will economically boost the area, eliminating parks that fail, bolstering parks that are successful, and removing the feeling of being trapped in an empty wasteland, and bringing in better transit to this area. The stations can also be used for bus + light rail. But the parks can't seeing as they will have grass over the tracks.

In addition, knock off a lane of traffic each way from the inside to add more park where there is park and more space where there are buildings.

I think this would be pretty unique and classy? Costs can be offset primarily from taking in money from those who build on the parcels and air rights?

I've thought of the RKG as being developed in a similar way.

Light rail would bring people to the Greenway as well as provide access to the whole area.

Back