Rose Kennedy Greenway

On a selfish note, I'm glad I'm not dealing with 70,000 people in Chevy Tahoes trying and drive into Boston all at the same time. I think the Patriots are fine out in the suburbs where those people can all get to it without bothering me.

It seems to work out just fine at Fenway.

It seems to work out just fine at Fenway.

god forbid some sports fans who don't live in Southie and, gasp, maybe even drive pick up trucks, descend upon Southie one out of every 45 days of the year to spend their hard earned money in and around the neighborhood.

This is how it looks probably > 320 days of the year. Im glad its not in Southie for the simple reason that it requires a lot of parking.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.091917,-71.268225&spn=0.013089,0.022831&t=h&z=15

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.091917,-71.268225&spn=0.013089,0.022831&t=h&z=15&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.091917,-71.268225&spn=0.013089,0.022831&t=h&z=15&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

This is how it looks probably > 320 days of the year. Im glad its not in Southie for the simple reason that it requires a lot of parking.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.091917,-71.268225&spn=0.013089,0.022831&t=h&z=15

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.091917,-71.268225&spn=0.013089,0.022831&t=h&z=15&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.091917,-71.268225&spn=0.013089,0.022831&t=h&z=15&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Most fans would end up taking the trains and buses like they do at Fenway.

You can park anyway in the city, and walk over to that direction. Downtown, backbay, beacon hill. It would be alot different than Foxboro.

As mentioned, a lot of people would take trains over to the stadium. And I would bet there would be several large parking garages.

In any event, the benefit of hosting the Super Bowl and Final 4 would be huge to the city.

As mentioned, a lot of people would take trains over to the stadium. And I would bet there would be several large parking garages.

In any event, the benefit of hosting the Super Bowl and Final 4 would be huge to the city.

It's not like Boston is full of a bunch of townies. The majority of the city has been compromised to college students. Menino is selling out the character of Boston to the colleges.

Maybe, and I do agree watching a Pats game w/ Boston in the back drop would be super cool, but not at the expense of keeping already vacant land vacant for better than 90% of the time.

Put all parking in one lone garage, with most (or all) of it's floors below ground. Ban parking lots or garages within x feet of the stadium and it's garage.

I'd personally rather not see it happen though.

Maybe, and I do agree watching a Pats game w/ Boston in the back drop would be super cool, but not at the expense of keeping already vacant land vacant for better than 90% of the time.

Make every local university share the same stadium as the pros for their games and many practices. Problem of disuse solved and lots of other land around the city freed for development.

That would make sense, except for the fact that most football teams practice around the same times at the same time of year for practical reasons. Plus universities usually like to have their own venues for rah-rah school pride purposes (a place to hang the banners, close enough for the freshmen to walk to, etc.)

On a selfish note, I'm glad I'm not dealing with 70,000 people in Chevy Tahoes trying and drive into Boston all at the same time. I think the Patriots are fine out in the suburbs where those people can all get to it without bothering me.

This is pretty much what I think first every time this ridiculous subject gets brought up. Let's let the 495 region people deal with it.

That would make sense, except for the fact that most football teams practice around the same times at the same time of year for practical reasons. Plus universities usually like to have their own venues for rah-rah school pride purposes (a place to hang the banners, close enough for the freshmen to walk to, etc.).

Case in point. The University of Minnesota demolished their home stadium and replaced it with massive parking lots, and they began playing at the Metrodome. Realized it was a failure, and rebuilt a new stadium right back where the old one was 20 years ago. Luckily they hadn't re-used that land. They marketed the whole thing as being back on campus, and you can walk to games etc.

It also kept me busy for 3 years.... so that was good news too.

You could never have a pro team and a college team share the same stadium and practice facility.

If the Patriots had built the stadium in Boston, they would do what a team like Seattle does. They have Qwest Field right in Seattle and then a practice facility outside of the city.

It's not like Boston is full of a bunch of townies. The majority of the city has been compromised to college students. Menino is selling out the character of Boston to the colleges.

I am not saying Boston does not have residents who are not from here, Boston has a TON.

I am saying that the benefits to the city of having a large (read 70-75,000 seat) retractable roof stadium right in the city would be a large benefit as large events, like the Super Bowl, would be like Christmas for the local economy.

You could never have a pro team and a college team share the same stadium and practice facility.

The then-Boston Patriots used to play at Harvard Stadium. Also at BC and BU stadiums, according to Wikipedia.

The then-Boston Patriots used to play at Harvard Stadium. Also at BC and BU stadiums, according to Wikipedia.

And first the Rams, then the Raiders each shared a stadium with USC. At least in Los Angeles, I'm pretty sure the practice facilities were elsewhere.

They also travelled by train to games and had a payroll of probably $20,000 a year. Their training regimen probably included medicine balls, coffee and eggs, and Chesterfields.

Not that I think it's impossible today, but I'm curious to see someone reply to this post in the present tense.

I'm a Chiofaro supporter because he is bringing to light Menino's corrupted policy on development planning. But yes, I do want another International Place. Why? Because it isn't a boring tower like 90% of Boston. And unlike the Greenway which is a blackhole that is sucking the funding from the city and not providing a decent return back, Chiofaro's proposal would at least do something good in the city, like providing PRODUCTIVE jobs.

Yes, Mumbles can be easily criticized. And rightfully so. Maybe it's time for a new mayor. However, remember that the Greenway is still new. Improperly organized and developed, yes, without a doubt. But a black hole? it is better than what existed there before... and hopefully, the potential it holds will not be undone. We'll see.

International Place is easily the finest development in the Downtown/Financial District area.

You and I will have to agree to disagree. I would put Rowes Wharf above International Place (among others). Even Johnson himself considered his building a poor "Po-Mo" shadow on the better Rowes Wharf. (Of course he was 90 when he said so I'm not sure that's fair.)

I agree that IP reflects a design choice that we don't see often enough in Boston - which is to say a building with a unique identity.

For me, that's not enough

I've come to like it because it's ours - right or wrong - it's now part of Boston. I simply hope that we could aspire to better design. And I do not expect better design from Mr. Chiafaro. (However, I believe his rabble rousing is productive.)

My taste is just that - my taste. And I can be just as wrong as anyone.

A pro and college team can share a stadium without a problem, The University of Miami and The Miami Dolphins share a stadium for example. The practice facility would be a big issue.

You and I will have to agree to disagree. I would put Rowes Wharf above International Place (among others). Even Johnson himself considered his building a poor "Po-Mo" shadow on the better Rowes Wharf. (Of course he was 90 when he said so I'm not sure that's fair.)

I agree that IP reflects a design choice that we don't see often enough in Boston - which is to say a building with a unique identity.

For me, that's not enough

I've come to like it because it's ours - right or wrong - it's now part of Boston. I simply hope that we could aspire to better design. And I do not expect better design from Mr. Chiafaro. (However, I believe his rabble rousing is productive.)

My taste is just that - my taste. And I can be just as wrong as anyone.

Imagine Boston without IP in it's Skyline? We would be looking at Harbor Towers back drop on channel 5 news. LOL.

Back