Rose Kennedy Greenway

A pro and college team can share a stadium without a problem, The University of Miami and The Miami Dolphins share a stadium for example. The practice facility would be a big issue.

True. So do Temple and the Philadelphia Eagles.

But there are only two Division I college football teams in Boston, and neither presently fills the stadium they already own. BC's average attendance last year was 37,000; Harvard's was probably well under 20,000 (average attendance at Harvard is heavily influenced by the biennial Yale@Harvard game).

Both schools lose money on football. They would have ZERO interest in playing regularly at a new stadium in South Boston where the facility rent would cause them to lose even more money on football.

True. So do Temple and the Philadelphia Eagles.

But there are only two Division I college football teams in Boston, and neither presently fills the stadium they already own. BC's average attendance last year was 37,000; Harvard's was probably well under 20,000 (average attendance at Harvard is heavily influenced by the biennial Yale@Harvard game).

Both schools lose money on football. They would have ZERO interest in playing regularly at a new stadium in South Boston where the facility rent would cause them to lose even more money on football.

That is correct under the current timeline however, had the Football stadium been relocated to South Boston and built at the same time as Gillette, Boston would have three DI football teams. Northeastern most likely would not have disbanded its football program. The major problem that Northeastern had was attendance, which was caused by not having the football field near campus and because the football field itself was not up-to-date enough. Most likely, attendance would have gone up with a closer and newer stadium.

Ummm...isn't this thread supposed to be about the Greenway? Who cares about football? (except maybe Rifleman??)

Not that I am doubting you, but how do you know that BC loses money on football?

Boston is not a big college sports town. The large schools like Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, etc. make a killing on their football programs.

Ummm...isn't this thread supposed to be about the Greenway? Who cares about football? (except maybe Rifleman??)
Ya, there is a seperate discussion about the same thing going on in the Design a Better Boston "Gillette Stadium" thread. This discussion should move over there since this is supposed to be about the greenway.

The Globe did a long story on the cancellation of Northeastern football recently and attendance was far from the only or main reason. The vast majority of college football teams don't profit from attendance anyway.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2010/10/03/yes_theres_life_after_football/

Yes, but this is the aftermath, not about what might have been. Think about it, had the football field been more accessible by being on campus and up to date, students would be able to attend more games. Trust me. I always wanted to attend a football game but was unable to because you always have to wait for a shuttle to pick you up at Chicken Lou to drive you to Parson Field. This is a hassle and not worth it when the football field is at the same standard as high school. Most students I spoke to agree that the fact that it was so far off campus and inaccessible through public transportation that it kept most students from attending the games.

I misremembered the quote from the article. More than just a few schools are profitable, though most aren't once you get into lower divisions.

The cost of college football can strain limited resources at all but the big-time, big-money, bowl-contending schools. A recent NCAA report revealed that just 68 of 120 schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision, the highest level of college athletics, made a profit on football in fiscal 2009. One competitive notch below, in the Football Championship Subdivision where Northeastern and Hofstra played and schools depend largely on ticket sales and sponsorships for revenue, two of 125 football-playing institutions reported a profit on football during the same span.

Yeah your right........... that is how much the GREENWAY SUCKS. I have the other bloggers talking about football.

Thank our political leadership for this billion dollar taxpayer Glorfied Median Strip.

Don't worry we Suffolk University trying to make a move for the Filene's Project.

Maybe Menino could SUB out the Greenway to BC or BU.

Someone tell the SHIFTBOSTON crowd to 'sketch-up' a a linear college campus built on top of the Greenway parcels. The campus buildings could be interconnected with sky bridges, rooftop parks, and all the fanciful crap that's the en vogue right now in the paper architecture crowd.

BC made a small 'profit' on football (revenue exceeded expenses) but because of Title IX, that profit was consumed by mandated spending in other areas; women's scholarships and women's teams.

BC's overall athletic program overall probably lost in the very low eight figures. Even men's basketball lost money.

Of all the schools playing FBS or FCS football (Division I) only about 15 or so make enough money off football to cover the costs of the rest of the athletic program. Northeastern's expenses for women's teams were $7.1 million last year, and you know the revenue from women's sports was practically zero. So the University subsidized all those women's sports from its operating budget and called it 'revenue'.

Northeastern was historically the lowest attendance of any Boston area football school. In 2009, for a total of six home games, total attendance was 9,577 (that's total, not average). Harvard average attendance was 10,701, no home game against Yale. BC's average was 35,716, and that is 9,000 below capacity.

The schools that make big money off football have average home attendances that are 80,000+. The top 22 BCS teams -- attendance-wise -- had an average home attendance in 2009 greater than the seating capacity of Gillette. And only about 2/3rds of those top 22 make enough money off football to pay the costs of the entire athletic program at the university. And I believe all 22 own their own stadium, so they are not paying rent, or losing concession/parking revenue.

Someone tell the SHIFTBOSTON crowd to 'sketch-up' a a linear college campus built on top of the Greenway parcels. The campus buildings could be interconnected with sky bridges, rooftop parks, and all the fanciful crap that's the en vogue right now in the paper architecture crowd.

Classic

Maybe BC could lease the naming rights of the city and change the city's name to BOSTON COLLEGE.

The city political leaders:
"We don't know how to create jobs, thank god for the colleges"

Eh, there's already plenty of vacant space along the Greenway for a college to move into...like 20+/- floors of International Place...anyone else catch the Herald article this past week about Ropes & Gray moving out of 22 floors?

The South Boston Football stadium is a nice read, but I want to get back to my original post where I asked this:

Me; said:
Despite that is said many times or something long those lines. I never seen you counter-rebuke that argument that what blocking his efforts is not unwillingness to do the paperwork, but a mayor's approval. Technically, the mayor shouldn't have any bearing, but in reality he does and makes the effort of putting million of dollars into studies that the they have plenty of ability to just string more tape unless they don't want to string more tape.

Please address the above statement please. This is a direct response and I wrote that with seriousness for I never seen you wrote a direct response.

Which you responded that Hynes is a good example... and was quickly rebuked of being a horrible example.

^^
And One Lincoln? Was that a bad example too, one of the most successful (financially) commercial development projects the city has seen in the past 10 years? Look, I'm not jumping to Hynes' defense here, I'm just saying that even though there is alleged to be a "personality difference" between he and the mayor, that didn't stop his projects from moving through the approvals process. And Kent, you're making my point exactly - if Hynes and the mayor were on the outs, the fact that Filene's got through the approvals process as quickly as it did (rightly or wrongly) just shows that if you do your homework you'll advance the ball down the field -- something that the Harbor Garage folks haven't done -- irrespective of politics or personalities.

Actually no it doesn't show that you do your homework, you'll advance the ball down the field. It's quite the opposite. The Filene's project was fast tracked so that it didn't have to meet with the community as much as other projects. Something that happens when you are on the good side of the Mayor. You can be assured now that if Hynes was to propose something new and did his homework diligently, the Mayor wouldn't be approving in such a short amount of time.

Which I have admit, and you must reasonably admit as well, the Filene's debacle with the fast-tracked approval makes him a poor example. He is basically the opposite of Chiafaro, a man on the mayor's good side mean just going around the approval process. If everything is correct (the Globe did mention in an article that the project was fast-tracked), this undermines the point of the approval process. This demonstrate that the real approval process is politics and not a technocratic approach that if everyone do their homework and have a good idea, regardless of anyone's opinion of the person.

Thus, Hynes is an example of a man on the mayor's good side, not because he diligently did his homework.

Now, Greenway, you did put up some level of a rebuttal.

You mean like Seaport Square, the 6 million SF development proposed by Hynes that got approved last month by the BRA?

and Kent gave a small counter.

Seaport Square took around 4 years to get approval, not around 1.

I would like to explore that a bit more. This area if more speculation to me. One have to ask how long should it take. Is it normal to take 4 years? When Filene's started to sink, how far along was this project in the approval process?

Still, I can still conclude that Hynes is not the best example. The fast tracking of Filene's did happen and likely evidence of politics being a major element in approvals, in this case, helping Hynes. The counter-rebuttal of Seaport requires more background before I can consider Hynes as an example of "if you do the work with an idea that has merit, it will be approved, regardless of politics."

Oh yah and Kent, how exactly is the Greenway a "blackhole [sic] sucking the funding from the city" ????

Oh c'mon! They just talked about this.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view/20101008critics_eye_greenway_spending_300g_on_program_for_9_teens_wheres_the_money_going/srvc=home&position=also

They just talked about how are spending hundred of thousands on a couple of kids (averaging $30,000 per kid) for an 8 week program. Also that the mayor and the governor makes less than people in the conservancy.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/24357955/detail.htm

This link show that despite low donation, they are making 6 figures and well into it.

I swear I posted this link before, but I can't find it. So this could be new...

http://www.unionparkpress.com/the-rose-kennedy-greenway-greenbucks/

This one showed that the Greenway is spending $293,000 per acre (from a peak of $367,000 per acre). Meanwhile the Friends of Post Office Square spends $168,000 per acre. You have to wonder what's with the spending if they spend that much.

So have to say "oh c'mon" because you must have seen those links and saying "it is easy to nickpick at a few things" doesn't isn't a rebuttal that allow a question of how the Greenway is not spending alot of money or not. I know that saying that does indicate a bias-ness towards you, but writing this show that I am willing to hear you out. However, statements/questions without a proper rebuttal to the thing that invalidate the statement does not give good standing to your arguments.

So, previously, you did counter argue with Hynes. However, I am also waiting for some address of the greenway spending. Right now, the links above show that the Greenway is wasting large amount of money with little return except for those in the conservancy. What do you have to say about that? Along with an example of a developer doing his homework means getting the approval regardless of what the mayor thinks.

^^
I don't think you understood my point. Hynes is widely supposed to NOT be on the mayor's good side, but Filene's got (your words) "fast-tracked" in spite of the developer NOT being on the mayor's good side, because he did his homework under Article 80. And Seaport Square didn't take four years to permit. More like two and some when you look at when the filings actually occurred. Nothing further on this, I'm done arguing with people who either don't have or refuse to acknowledge the facts because they are so hell-bent on [erroneously] concluding that the development review process in Boston is political and personal as an excuse for the Harbor Garage project going nowhere.

With respect to the Greenway's budget, I don't have enough information to critique it in any kind of meaningful detail, but the comparison to PO Square is lousy because PO Square is a single park with no regular programming, no weekend activity, no marketing or attempt to get anyone other than the surrounding office workers to use it, only a few hours of wear and tear every day for about 6 months out of the year, and a *much* less complex physical infrastructure.

^^
I don't think you understood my point. Hynes is widely supposed to NOT be on the mayor's good side, but Filene's got (your words) "fast-tracked" in spite of the developer NOT being on the mayor's good side, because he did his homework under Article 80.

I can see Hynes shouldn't be on the Mayor's good side after the debacle but I haven't heard that they were on the ropes before it. Correct me if I am wrong there. My understanding and everyone else in the forum is arguing he is on the mayor's good side that is why it was fast-tracked (the Globe claims that too, though a subsequent article have the mayor chiming in and denies it, though who would admit to that). I don't appreciate you saying in parenthesis of "your words" to me. I am not the first to use that nor it was the forum either. The Globe used that first.

And Seaport Square didn't take four years to permit. More like two and some when you look at when the filings actually occurred. Nothing further on this, I'm done arguing with people who either don't have or refuse to acknowledge the facts because they are so hell-bent on [erroneously] concluding that the development review process in Boston is political and personal as an excuse for the Harbor Garage project going nowhere.

I'm trying to be your enemy here. I did gave some credence that since the Seaport Square was approved at all, it lends to your argument. The way I see it, assuming the mayor's influence or at least the BRA reluctance (in theory) to approve of someone who just failed at an earlier project mean either it was already well in advance stages of approvals when Filenes occurred or a person can get through the process with disapproval and bad publicity of the public and the mayor/someone-else-with-influence. Also if 4 years is the longest a hostile mayor/BRA can delay, it lends credence to you too. It sounds like if politics is what killing Chiafaro, it sounds like going through standard protocols can be delayed for decades through paperwork and studies unless the mayor/BRA don't use such procedures. 4 years doesn't sound so bad then.

With respect to the Greenway's budget, I don't have enough information to critique it in any kind of meaningful detail, but the comparison to PO Square is lousy because PO Square is a single park with no regular programming, no weekend activity, no marketing or attempt to get anyone other than the surrounding office workers to use it, only a few hours of wear and tear every day for about 6 months out of the year, and a *much* less complex physical infrastructure.

Alright, you have a point there. It doesn't negate the conservancy's salaries or that program. We both have to do more research needs to be on similar parks and see how much are they spending.

^^
I don't think you understood my point. Hynes is widely supposed to NOT be on the mayor's good side, but Filene's got (your words) "fast-tracked" in spite of the developer NOT being on the mayor's good side, because he did his homework under Article 80. And Seaport Square didn't take four years to permit. More like two and some when you look at when the filings actually occurred. Nothing further on this, I'm done arguing with people who either don't have or refuse to acknowledge the facts because they are so hell-bent on [erroneously] concluding that the development review process in Boston is political and personal as an excuse for the Harbor Garage project going nowhere.

If you look at the Seaport thread, the first mention of the Seaport Square was in 2006. It was approved this year. That's four years, not two.

^^
Just because a project is being "mentioned" on this board does not mean it is actually under review by the BRA pursuant to the Article 80 process. Seaport Square's actual BRA review started in June of 2008 and it was approved in September of 2010. Thus, about two years.

Again, please know the facts about a project before you try to use it to make a point about the development review process in Boston.

Last edited:
^^
Again, please know the facts about a project before you try to use it to make a point about the development review process in Boston.

Seaport Square approvals were for 19 buildings on 23 acres. This is not a single project, and a comparison of Seaport Square approvals with Chiofaro's single development project is really comparing apples and oranges.

Approvals for the 23 acre Seaport Square project, 99.9% of media fanfare, and 99.9% of the discussions on the ArchBoston forum, have nothing to do with the buildings that are actually moving forward in Seaport Square under approvals. I have not seen a single direct architectural rendering of the actual Seaport Square buildings being built in Phase One, whether on the ArchBoston forum or in the Boston Globe. All remaining phases of Seaport Square, the focus of the vast majority of public meetings during the approval process, will change in use and scale along with market conditions.

The bottom line is that Seaport Square was fast-tracked, and Hynes relationship with City Hall had EVERYTHING to do with that. Much of the time spent was for a dog-and-pony show by Hynes and the BRA regarding 2500 mythical residential units that again had nothing to do with the actual development being built.

I am aware that many people are ecstatic about Seaport Square approvals, both real (Phase One) and mythical (2500 housing units). My gut feeling is that the majority of the advocates are excited that ANYTHING is being built in the Seaport. This gut feeling is supported by the fact that few people seemed to know or care about what was actually being built in Phase One. Even members in this forum were dismissive when I posted some photos of the office stump being built. This development is good for business, whether real estate, construction or otherwise.

If you want to argue, you might start by showing me some links to the Boston Globe or the ArchBoston forum detailing the Seaport Square buildings that are now under way in Phase One (besides the tiny Hacin condo) that were honed through the well-crafted approval process you suggest. I disagree with you that the approval process and Article 80 worked its magic to create a world-class outcome.

The outcome at Seaport Square was and is ENTIRELY political.

Back