Rose Kennedy Greenway

"More Parking

...Kevin from East Boston suggests making half of it a parking lot..."

OMG. I literally have never ROFL'd so much in my life.

It's also sad that people actually want to turn the current park into a park. It doesn't make any sense.

I voted for "ride or attraction" which, if done right, could bring lots of folks there. (think of the London Eye)

Boston should be the #1city in this country and possibly ranked in top 20 in the world.

Actually, according to this study, she ranks 19th in the world!

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/node/373401

I know, there are many rankings out there based on all sorts of criteria, but I just happened to find this one!

This will all be solved in 110 years when the trees grow up and provide all of the density and shade that we need.

Be patient...

I liked the idea of a monorail!

But, then again, I like the idea of the world's biggest miniature golf course, too.

Good lord, don't read the comments on the Boston.com poll unless you want your head to hurt from banging it against the wall.

This will all be solved in 110 years when the trees grow up and provide all of the density and shade that we need.

Be patient...

Letting them grow so large and thick that we could just climb their branches over the ramps was part of the master plan, right?

The Greenway is a scar; a green version of what it replaced. It is an abandoned piece of property, neglected and totally out of scale for the city. One of the reasons for digging a tunnel and tearing down the highway was to remove an ugly man made barrier that bifurcated the city. The idea was to de-isolate the North End and the waterfront. This glorified median strip does nothing to connect those neighborhoods back to the city. It is a waste of prime real estate. Let the developers at it.

Submitted by

Jack

Dorchester, MA

Sent on February 17, 2011, at 3:44 pm

Best comment ever. One of us?

Do not let any additional tall buildings to be built on the water side of the greenway. Or even take the ugly garage as emminant domain and tear it down. It can be a green carpet to the water.

Worst comment ever. I just threw up everywhere.

I think we should put up an elevated highway to ease congestion in the city.

Submitted by

Jim C

Watertown

Sent on February 17, 2011, at 11:06 am

YES.:rolleyes:

Even if you had turned the whole thing over to developers, that doesn't necessarily mean you'd have development yet. Look at the parcels north of Haymarket that were designated for development and are still vacant.

No parks on this scale will succeed unless seen as a vital destination by a critical mass of residents. We need a new zoning plan, particularly along the east corridor along the Greenway, with a focus on increasing density of residents.

I really don't want to engage in yet another debate about why so little development happens in Boston even during the best of times, particularly when it comes to significant numbers of new residential projects in the Downtown/Seaport. The answer is obvious and sickeningly parochial.

Michlewitz moves to extend state support of Greenway, with strings attached

Posted by Jeremy C. Fox February 24, 2011 01:28 PM

State Representative Aaron Michelwitz wants to safeguard neighborhood residents? voice in the Greenway Conservancy. Shown is one of the Greenway ramps that was to be covered by a museum devoted to Boston history. That project was abandoned in 2009.

By Jeremy C. Fox, Town Correspondent

State Representative Aaron Michlewitz has filed legislation that would extend state funding for the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy, require open meetings of the conservancy?s board of directors and give new powers to the Greenway Leadership Council.

Michlewitz?s bill, filed Jan. 20, would continue the state?s financial support of the Greenway Conservancy for five more years, until 2017, but would cap it at $4 million per year rather than the current $5.5 million cap. The actual amount the state pays would likely be less; for Fiscal 2011 it is $2.2 million.

It would give the right to review and vote on all contracts and on the conservancy?s annual budget to the leadership council ? a group made up of residents from surrounding neighborhoods ? but it would not allow the council to make amendments. Instead, a budget rejected by the council would return to the board for revision and resubmission.

The bill would also require the board to hold most meetings in public and maintain public records of all meetings, including those held behind closed doors due to privacy issues, as long as publication of those records wouldn?t defeat the purpose of the private session. A violation of that rule could lead to the state withholding funds from the conservancy.

Michlewitz said the bill wasn?t intended as a criticism of anyone at the conservancy but was about putting protections in place for the future and ensuring that area residents would always have a voice. He called it a ?necessary next step? in moving the park forward and safeguarding the interests of its neighbors.

?The idea behind the legislation was, while these are state parks ? they are still parks within surrounding neighborhoods,? he said. ?To make these parks the best they can be, we should look upon it as a statewide park ? but we should also be mindful of protecting the quality of life and making the parks as accessible and as attractive for the people [for whom] that is really their front doorstep.?

Ann M. Thornburg, chair of the Greenway Leadership Council and a professor at Harvard University?s Kennedy School of Government, said council members appreciated Michlewitz?s efforts, but more work was necessary to get the bill right.

?Clearly, we appreciate the experience and interest that the representative has in the Greenway and his leadership and willingness to work with us to make the Greenway great,? Thornburg said. ?We support the goals of transparency and responsiveness to our public, however, the legislation as filed needs more thought, and we look forward to working with Aaron to that end.?

Michlewitz said he?s looking forward to working with the conservancy, the leadership council, the city, the Boston Redevelopment Authority and the residents of the surrounding neighborhood to ensure the bill creates the best possible situation for the Greenway. From here, the bill will be reviewed in a public hearing by the Joint Committee on Transportation, though a date has not been set.

The bill was filed shortly before the Greenway received its latest blow to plans for development, last week?s announcement by the YMCA that it would scrap plans to build a new facility just north of Haymarket Square. The YMCA was fourth institution to cancel a Greenway project due to the extra expense of building over ramps leading into the Central Artery tunnels.

Michlewitz, a lifelong North End resident, said he shared what he saw as universal disappointment among his neighbors about the YMCA?s decision. ?When we were going through the dog days of the Big Dig, there were a few ideas out there that were keeping an understanding that we were going to have a light at the end of the tunnel ? and one of those was having nonprofit entities being built along these ramp parcels, including the YMCA,? he said.

The state is required to cover the ramps whether the parcels are developed or not, and Michlewitz said he hoped it would be possible to build institutions on those sites that would be of benefit not just to the surrounding neighborhoods but to the city and the commonwealth as a whole. But he acknowledged that the issue of how to use the ramp parcels would be an ongoing one.

?As some people have said, I think air-rights projects are tough projects to do even in the best of times, and we?re obviously not at that point right now in our state?s economy,? he said. ?Hopefully down the road we?ll be able to find something ? that we can do on those ramp parcels.?

Email Jeremy C. Fox at jeremycfox@gmail.com.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/north_end/2011/02/michlewitz_moves_to_extend_sta.html

Democratic oversight for the corrupt coven of the Greenway Conservancy: good.

The fact that the oversight is comprised of locals only: maybe not so good. Not everyone will be as enlightened as this guy:

The state is required to cover the ramps whether the parcels are developed or not, and Michlewitz said he hoped it would be possible to build institutions on those sites that would be of benefit not just to the surrounding neighborhoods but to the city and the commonwealth as a whole. But he acknowledged that the issue of how to use the ramp parcels would be an ongoing one.

I can't imagine anyone in the Harbor Towers thinking of the "city and the commonwealth as a whole". Ever.

Sure they would. Provided you're talking about the City and Commonwealth of East India Row. I mean, that's all that matters, right?

How is this organization corrupt? Can you prove it?

It's fun to play the blame game.

Incompetent is definitely in the cards. The Greenway Conservancy needs to open its books. Why are people making over 200k a year to get nothing accomplished besides maintaining a median strip that the city could outsource to a Landscaping company and probably cut taxpayers expenses by 75%?

After the Audit on how the FUNDS where distributed based on consulting fees, Landscaping costs, Design costs. I'm sure their are people that got paid for doing nothing which in the end is TAXPAYERS FRAUD.

Besides the Federal GOVT. We would need Attorney General Martha Jokley to launch investigation and we all know she is a complete moron.

$200k salaries for a nonprofit with almost nothing to show for it...just because it's out in the open, and being carried out with impunity, doesn't mean we shouldn't think of it as corrupt.

I used to be a proud member of team "trees will make it popular"

Id like to return my membership card and apply for a full refund.

IMG_8671.jpg

IMG_8672.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

Back