Rose Kennedy Greenway

i guess I have a different set of standards for an urban park

Here are a few of the pix i took between 5 and 6 PM on Sunday

picture.php

picture.php

After looking at those first two pics something occurred to me (and maybe this has been expressed before). The RKG would be so much more effective if it was actually bordered by buildings and businesses instead of 3 lanes of roads on BOTH sides. It's too bad they didn't design it with 4 lanes on one side and then abut the other side to building parcels. I know it's just an optical illusion, but it looks so much better when surrounded by buildings that frame and activate the space.
Picture this: Those 4 lanes of traffic begin on one side of the greenway to the North, say on the govt center garage side if the greenway. Then as it proceeds South, about half way through, the roadway could serpentine through to the harbor side, with a signature pedestrian-walkway over the lanes of traffic uniting the two sides of the greenway.

Dewey Square has actually become a rather great space - I'd like to see more "branding" of the square as distinct from the rest of the Greenway. It will be better of course when they can finally build something - anything - around the ventilation shaft.

One other greenway prediction: bike lanes by the end of this summer as a result of Hubway. Anyone want to wager?

Menino wants bike lanes there. I asked him point blank about this a while back, and he agreed that they should be there.

A permanent market shelter, bike lanes, and bringing back Dewey's monument would do a lot for restablishing the square as a landmark.

One other greenway prediction: bike lanes by the end of this summer as a result of Hubway. Anyone want to wager?

Well considering the bike lanes were announced and displayed a few months ago....

Not the grandest of predictions!

I thought the Dewey Monument was @ BC now? Or at least part of it. I think we've discussed it before.
I don't know who Dewey was. I'll Google it when I get a chance.

Well considering the bike lanes were announced and displayed a few months ago....

Not the grandest of predictions!

Ha, don't remember seeing that. Well, I'd put just a bit longer odds on the alternative then...

I thought the Dewey Monument was @ BC now? Or at least part of it. I think we've discussed it before.
I don't know who Dewey was. I'll Google it when I get a chance.

Yes, the momument is now in front of Gasson Hall at BC:

gassontower.jpg

Note however that the eagle (now it's an exact reproduction) is not part of the original momument - that comes from the Lars Anderson Estate, a gift from Japan to Anderson who was the US ambassador there.

I would love to see this recreated again in Dewey Sq - I would agree the space could use a visual focus.

On April 27, 1898, he sailed out from China with orders to attack the Spanish at Manila Bay. He stopped at the mouth of the bay late the night of April 30, and the following morning he gave the order to attack at first light, by saying the now famous words "You may fire when you are ready, Gridley."

Always wanted to know who said that, and why I knew the words. For that alone he deserves a square and monument.

I also enjoy that he's the only person ever to attain the rank of Admiral of the Navy. Why does the rank exist then?

Quite the bad ass he was.

And Dewey's mustache is the yard-stick all others should be measured by.

Did Dewey have any personal connection to Boston? Seems odd that there's no mention of Boston in the Wiki entry, or an explanation why the square was named after him.

(I did just notice the entry on the ArchBoston thread that states, "The cruiser's presence is part of the reason for the dedication of Dewey Square in Boston. Note the elaborate scrollwork on the bow, as well as the anachronistic masts and yards" accompanied by an image of a warship.).

Dewey was a national hero. I seriously doubt he'll be getting any honors in contemporary Boston, considering that he was an imperialist icon.

His flagship, the cruiser U.S.S. Olympia is berthed at Penn's Landing in Philadelphia. Been on it several times. It is a wonderful piece of Victoriana.

However, the current museum holder can't afford to maintain it. Anyplace that can come up with a few million can have it as a museum ship. It would look nice in the Fort Point Channel.
The repairs would give the local shipbuilding trades a nice boost too.

Here is the story:

http://www.phillyseaport.org/ships_olympia.shtml

More:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Olympia_(C-6)

Would it fit? The Congress and Summer street bridges can no longer be opened, and the 'New' Northern Ave. bridge isn't a drawspan at all.

You might squeeze the Olympia past the Northern Ave bridge. But I suppose there is a contingent that might complain about the view being spoiled from their offices.

You could put it in Drydock No. 1 in Charlestown to keep it from rotting until the repair money is raised.

If you like engineering, the Olympia is very interesting. A steampunk's dream yacht. It is also very moving to stand on the bridge and picture the destuction of the descendants of the Armada.

What construction is this? Why must things always be under construction?

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

And in other views...

IMG_0010-1.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Back