Rose Kennedy Greenway

As the Globe article notes, the attendance figure is recorded attendance, e.g., WiFi users, and does not include pedestrians casually walking through the park, or people simply sitting on benches.

From a set of photos accompanying the Globe article. Most of the photos were of people using the park in one way or the other.
R0G4946[1].jpg

Great photo. It looks like a two-track monorail line is being built along the Greenway. ^

As much as monorails are a joke, one running down the greenway would actually be pretty useful.

There's your North Station - South Station Connector!!!!

Exactly. Although, schlepping up/down escalators with luggage at both ends would be a pain. If ever there was a place for a monorail for transportation though, this would be it.

Exactly. Although, schlepping up/down escalators with luggage at both ends would be a pain. If ever there was a place for a monorail for transportation though, this would be it.

You wouldn't have to, both north and south station have elevators to their upper floors.

To really work, the elevators would have to go from the lower levels (silver/red lines) up to the boarding level for the monorail. Otherwise, it's only going to be marginally less of a pain than red line to green line.

That damn carousel is a masterpiece of whimsical!! Money well spent!!

The detail of the carousel looks amazing but the pieces are a little weird for children if you ask me.

Call me old fashion but I still just like the horses.

As much as monorails are a joke, one running down the greenway would actually be pretty useful.

Don't we have a "monorail" drinking game? Or is that just the Kraft seaport stadium?

Don't we have a "monorail" drinking game? Or is that just the Kraft seaport stadium?

Just for the stadium as of now, but I was considering making the suggestion after seeing the monorail discussion reappear in this thread.

Just for the stadium as of now, but I was considering making the suggestion after seeing the monorail discussion reappear in this thread.

Does it count if I was already drinking while posting about the monorail?

Also, despite my negativity about it, the carousel characters look great.

It hasn't even opened yet and already I want this carousel to be operating year round. Add some heaters, have some trucks/carts selling hot drinks and snacks, and leave it up through the winter. I feel like it could keep the Greenway busy constantly.

It hasn't even opened yet and already I want this carousel to be operating year round. Add some heaters, have some trucks/carts selling hot drinks and snacks, and leave it up through the winter. I feel like it could keep the Greenway busy constantly.
The people simply aren't there in the winter. It's not like they are somewhere else/doing anything else. They just aren't physically present.

For some perspective about what the winter is actually like at Faneuil Hall, at AE during the winter months (Jan - Apr), there were days when we would have 50 transactions total and be lucky to make $3000 in a day, compared to summer peak when we could tip 50 transactions an hour.

The people simply aren't there in the winter. It's not like they are somewhere else/doing anything else. They just aren't physically present.

For some perspective about what the winter is actually like at Faneuil Hall, at AE during the winter months (Jan - Apr), there were days when we would have 50 transactions total and be lucky to make $3000 in a day, compared to summer peak when we could tip 50 transactions an hour.

I am extremely confused by what you mean. If they are not physically present, by definition they are somewhere else doing something else.

Also, I'd argue that a unique attraction like this carousel is far more likely to get people to bundle up and head into the cold than shopping at a store they could do online instead.

The detail of the carousel looks amazing but the pieces are a little weird for children if you ask me.

Call me old fashion but I still just like the horses.

Kids will love it.........but some of them are sorta creeping me out! I think it's the eyes. The seal with the red eyes looks especially evil. ;)

Seriously though..........it's a really cool carousel that is completely identifiable with Boston/Coastal New England.

Patriots Day Weekend to Veteran's Day Weekend would seem like a good seasonal schedule.

I am extremely confused by what you mean. If they are not physically present, by definition they are somewhere else doing something else.

Also, I'd argue that a unique attraction like this carousel is far more likely to get people to bundle up and head into the cold than shopping at a store they could do online instead.

The question probably is how viable is it to run the carousel Jan-March when kids are in school, less hours of daylight, lousy weather and lots less tourists.Not sure if this is what Datadyne is referring to. Might only be feasible with limited hours or only weekends(during the winter).
This is a great addition to the Greenway and it should be a big success.

Back