Rose Kennedy Greenway

I have to admit, it looks good. By now I've accepted the fact that the RKG will never be a world-class, destination park. It's low key, utilitarian and I'm just happy to see it increasingly lush, well-used, and well-programmed.

Not true, Knock down Harbor Garage and find investors to invest in a New 100 Million dollar Aquarium you will have your destination park.

Not to be forgotten are the 3 parcels planned to have buildings: the YMCA, the horticultural site at Dewey Square and the museum parcel in front of Rowe's Wharf. These were all promoted as valuable public amenities that were used to help justify the greenway in the first place. Well, where are they? The non-profits controlling development of these parcels have clearly proven their incompetence. There is a real danger nothing will be built. Why isn't the Conservation Law Foundation suing the city to force construction (demanding these sites be given to competent developers) as they certainly would have sued had the city balked at building the park parcels?

I took the ferry out to Spectacle Island last weekend (real cool trip, btw). I bought tickets at the Boston Harbor Islands Pavilion. I have to say, the location of the Carousel is perfect. Really compliments the Pavilion and I'm hoping it will drive more traffic to the Harbor Islands.

There were four, actually -- the one in front of Rowes Wharf was supposed to be the New Center for Art and Culture, while the museum was supposed to go between the carousel and the North End parks. However, I'd really rather keep the Rowes Wharf parcel the way it is.

Agreed on keeping the Rowe's parcel unchanged...Rowes Wharf really shines with an unimpeded view. It shouldn't be crowded. If New Center ever gets its act together I'd love to see it in Dewey Square. The likelihood of Mass Hort pulling its act together is remote. It should be a competition of sorts...whichever entity raises enough money to build the project should be allowed to proceed.

Also agree on the Rowes Wharf parcel. I hadn't been through there in at least a few years and it far and away was the biggest surprise as to how well it's come together. It's easily the best "passive" park space in the system.

And so it begins...now these parcels are filling in with landscaping and different kinds of programming and the sentiment slowly shifts to not developing them. Taxpayers were promised these amenities as some kind of mitigation for the massive cost and headaches of the Big Dig and they should be delivered. Either get non-profits capable of adequate fundraising or sell the land to developers. Litigate if necessary to make it happen.

New Center won't be back. They've decided to become an event programmer rather than a brick-and-mortar institution. If the Garden Under Glass proposal is ever to be revived, I'd like to see it given to the Tower Hill Botanic Garden folks in Worcester County, rather than Mass Hort.

I think the Boston History Museum organization has dissolved after failing to secure either the ramp parcel or the adjoining Haymarket sliver parcel. Anyone know if there's still hope for the YMCA?

Brad, if 'taxpayer' 'sentiment' is shifting to keeping the Dewey-to-Rowes Wharf section as parks rather than developing them, maybe that should be respected?

Leave the development opportunities for the two places that really need attention -- the ramp parcels on either side of the North End parks. And for whatever Bulfinch Triangle parcels still remain to be sold off and developed.

I have to admit, it looks good. By now I've accepted the fact that the RKG will never be a world-class, destination park. It's low key, utilitarian and I'm just happy to see it increasingly lush, well-used, and well-programmed.

I was there yesterday, and there were lots of families with kids running in the fountains. I think that even if Chifaro doesn't get to build, someone else will. No need to be cynical. If it's a "glorified median strip," then it's the best median strip that I have ever seen.

Brad, if 'taxpayer' 'sentiment' is shifting to keeping the Dewey-to-Rowes Wharf section as parks rather than developing them, maybe that should be respected?

Ron I don't agree. Those parcels now are nothing more than additional green space in what was already IMO too large a park. What if in creating the Public Garden a promise to build the pond hadn't been kept and only more grass was added; a very popular asset would not now exist.

Presumably only these designated parcels (and none of the others) were structurally reinforced to carry the weight of buildings?

It's sad if people don't want Dewey Square developed. Definitely the plaza should stay, but the vent tower needs to be covered up. Plus, it's a great opportunity to put something there that will engage the plaza. It would have been a great place to put the ICA with a cafe/beer garden facing the plaza where they could have outdoor performances when the weather is nice.

I took these photos with my cell phone camera on opening day for the Rose Kennedy Greenway carousel. The kids that were riding seemed to be having a blast (and the parents were too). I was hoping for a larger carousel in a building (like Paragon Park) but this seems to work for this area. Can somebody put my photos into one link? Thanks.

Back