Rose Kennedy Greenway

So these neighborhood associations bitch about adding a luxury waterfront hotel but this just slides by without any dispute? WTF?

Ahahahahaha

Developers have expressed interest in the property but there has been no agreement because they haven’t been willing to “do right” by the neighborhood. Abutters have expressed their current preference for a parking lot rather than a building. A temporary sandwich shop is also being considered in addition to the parking lot.

Maybe there should be a new thread along the lines of "Unclear on the Concept (of Urbanism)"?

So these neighborhood associations bitch about adding a luxury waterfront hotel but this just slides by without any dispute? WTF?

WTF is that NEWRA is the biggest bunch of nut cases this side of the Greenway.

Not sure where best to post this, but I saw this rendering on a LoopNet listing and it made me chuckle:

jnzOcHj.jpg

Off the charts height!

Also, this property was sold by the former owner's widow for just $562,500 five years ago...

Not sure where best to post this, but I saw this rendering on a LoopNet listing and it made me chuckle:

jnzOcHj.jpg

Off the charts height!

Also, this property was sold by the former owner's widow for just $562,500 five years ago...
Really interesting:
Description

Unique opportunity to develop one of the last underutilized lots in the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway District. Property is located in Dewey Square, bordering Fort Point Channel & the Financial District. Surrounded by such iconic buildings as the Federal Reserve, InterContinental Boston, and South Station, makes this site the perfect place add a new Boston landmark. Existing zoning would allow a 350' tall building with 29 floors. This would equate to approximately a 70,000 GSF skinny skyscraper under the current footprint of 2,440 SF. The base zoning for the site allows for residential, hotel, office building, and certain retail use.

There's a thread about this somewhere although its quite old. I think this was proposed as a daycare center or something along those lines

^Wow, I was just thinking about this project the other day. I wanted to ask about it in the Project X thread, but I didn't know what to call it, and I couldn't find the old thread.

Thanks! :D

There's a thread about this somewhere although its quite old. I think this was proposed as a daycare center or something along those lines

Suffolk -- send this to Wynn -- they have a brewery in Everett to relocate

Forget the tower -- this would be the ideal place for a micro-brewery with tasting room

Man this poor widow got swindled. Talk about setting a mark on somebody.
"Also, this property was sold by the former owner's widow for just $562,500 five years ago..."

Love to know the story behind this one.

I work in the Keystone Building and would stare right at that construction. Up close and personal!

That's sandwiched between the MBTA's Operations Control center (45 High) and a Boston Edison substation (75 High). Damn tricky place to build.

The way the Greenway Planning Study imagined it, this property would be combined with the Edison Substation, or at the very least cantilever over it. I don't know exactly how that would work, but they thought it would look something like this (the building in question is the one with the green circle on it in the image):
23590167434_9d6c4f390e_c.jpg

This old tenement (I recall the ground floor being a hardware store) is the best example of proper urbanism on that side of the Greenway...

from Bostoninno
Ai Weiwei Is Bringing 12 Bronze 'Zodiac Heads' to The Greenway
The contemporary Chinese artist has a history of blurring the lines between art and activism.

Alex E. Weaver - Lifestyle Editor
03/07/16 @10:21am in Lifestyle

The Rose Kennedy Greenway is getting another prominent public art installation.....Famed contemporary Chinese artist Ai Weiwei is presenting an installation of his sculpture Circle of Animals/Zodiac Heads, to appear at the Greenway's Rings Fountains from late April to late October 2016. The exhibit comprises 12 monumental bronze animal heads, each representing the twelve signs of the Chinese zodiac.....The sculpture is modeled after 12 bronze animal statues that once stood at the Yuanming Yuan, or Summer Palace, in Beijing. During the Second Opium War, in 1860, the palace was looted by French and British troops, and the heads were taken. Weiwei's reinterpretation is a commentary "to the issue of looting and repatriation of art treasures," according to a release.

here's the installation recently in Paris
TheZodiacHeadsBoston03.jpg

The Tuileries Garden at the Louvre, Paris, France (October 22 – December 31, 2015).
Images courtesy of the artist.

These were at the Hirschorn in DC a couple years ago; wonderful sculptures (not very edgy, but the craftsmanship is awe-inspiring). It's great to have rotating exhibits such as this, but I wish we could land some more quality permanent installations.

Back