Rose Kennedy Greenway

If there is one thing Bostonians know how to do, it's how to use their outdoor spaces. If the parks are already being used to play soccer and lounge around as they are now (looking more like a median strip than a park), they're gonna be packed when the trees and vines are fully grown. These latest pictures convince me, the people are gonna make the greenway a success even if the parks themselves are mediocre.

I like the North End park in and of itself. Too bad it still looks as ill-fitting in its urban context as the former expressway.

The North End Park and the Chinatown Park will be standouts on the RKG. They both serve dense neighborhoods, and are discreet definable parks; that is, they don't suffer from the shotgun barrel corridor effect as do the Wharf District parks.

BTW, the GC Garage looks like the mother-ship has landed from outer space. :(

It's too early to tell whether the Wharf parks will be well-used, because parts of them are still fenced-off, preventing linear travel.

Plus, none of the benches are in (there will be many) and the fountain is not yet complete and operational. The largest and perhaps most promising parcel (closest to Rowes Wharf) is not yet open at all. The Harbor Park Pavilion, which is supposed to include a cafe with outdoor seating, should also help enliven the northern end of the Wharf District parcels when it is finally built.

Charlie_mta said:
The North End Park and the Chinatown Park will be standouts on the RKG. They both serve dense neighborhoods, and are discreet definable parks; that is, they don't suffer from the shotgun barrel corridor effect as do the Wharf District parks.

BTW, the GC Garage looks like the mother-ship has landed from outer space. :(

I agree about the Garage...isn't it being sold? I remember an article which spoke of selling the garage in order to be developed into a skyscraper.

The age of this board ...

Yeah I rode my bike through the park Friday when I took those pictures ...

Because you like to ride a bike, or because you're 14 years old and not old enough to drive?

Just wondering ...

I'm planning to bike through it at least once after it's fully open and all the fences are gone. There's not much point in trying it right now.

Um, Jimbo. Uh, KZ is like out of college, or in it and stuff. He's a bike courier. 14? I think not.

You mean 14 year-olds aren't allowed on this sight?

Guess what I saw today while walking through the future Libeskind parcel...a chipmunk! Honest to God. Surrounded on all sides by rush hour chaos, and firetrucks and blaring sirens. It was very surreal.

He looked just like this:
chipmunk.jpg

They must have trucked the the thing in and released it there, because there's is no way in hell it could have possibly just stumbled on that place and decided to take up residence. No one on Earth can convince me of that.

briv said:
Guess what I saw today while walking through the future Libeskind parcel...a chipmunk! Honest to God. Surrounded on all sides by rush hour chaos, and firetrucks and blaring sirens. It was very surreal.

He looked just like this:
chipmunk.jpg

They must have trucked the the thing in and released it there, because there's is no way in hell it could have possibly just stumbled on that place and decided to take up residence. No one on Earth can convince me of that.

that's freddy. he escaped from the rainforest exhibit last week.

9/24

img0368mw9.jpg

img0370sj3.jpg

img0371mm7.jpg

img0374ub5.jpg

img0376gc9.jpg

img0378pj7.jpg

img0381os3.jpg

img0383od2.jpg

img0388sg1.jpg

img0389eq9.jpg

img0390je6.jpg

img0393ov1.jpg

and now some of the Chinatown park

img0457xb2.jpg

a vast expanse of nothing

img0460ho3.jpg

img0463no2.jpg

img0464ga7.jpg

img0456te8.jpg

img0470tz3.jpg

img0471ov2.jpg

Bonus shot

img0483le0.jpg

The last shot is sooo Sunbelt...at least that's what I think of when I see an expanse of cheap corporate landscaping and postwar skyscrapers.

kz1000ps said:
I like how they made a chinese chess board on the ground. I should bring a few people over and play a game of human chinese chess.

xiangqi.PNG

The Chinatown Park is a success, as is the North End Park, because they serve adjacent dense residential neighborhoods, and also they are small and defined as a separate park. The Wharf District Greenway though is pure crap. What a waste.

Pictures taken on Sept 25.

The first three are of the parcels facing Rowes Wharf and vicinity. The first is the parcel on the north side of the Rowes Wharf axis, and still unopen. The second is of the south side of the axis and completed. The third are the CA/T ramps exiting at the south side parcel.

P1020670.jpg

P1020672.jpg

P1020674.jpg

Plus two pictures of the temporary landscaping (gravel path, patchy grass, etc) put in place on the Hort parcels. I don't see many suggestions about what should be done with these parcels on a permanent basis.

P1020673.jpg

P1020675.jpg

Plus a picture of Fidelity Park. The two or three trees nearest the Aquarium don't look to be in the best of shape. (The picture time was shortly before 11 AM, for those who like to count usage.)

P1020665.jpg

^ Gravel paths and trees growing straight out of the ground are actually classier than the bulky planters and vomit-inducing quantities of brick pavement this city seems to find so appealing. Would that the "temporary" landscaping was more standard...

Back