Rose Kennedy Greenway

This is the best I could do:

2231277811_09e7d583ca_o.jpg

Wow, that would have been amazing.

I always liked my Idea of having at 1000' observation tower across from south station,not a tacky space needle but a simple marble like column! But then the Trans.Nat. place was proposed

Here you go :)
tribune_loos.jpg

not bad!,closed to what I had in mind but no windows or attatached tower,the very top would have windows or glass and you would be able to go outside,but no windows on the column,just a simple elegant Doric column,like it had been there for ever!

More from the Safdie proposal:

safdie2.jpg

safdie3.jpg

Winter:

safdie4.jpg

Summer:

safdie5.jpg

Trading a green scar for a blue scar. A minor upgrade. And more costly to maintain.

Oh man, if you think the tunnels leak now!

Seriously, we need buildings here, not parks and not lakes!

I did take them! an observation deck downtown would be nice, the Customs house is only open at certain times for the public

Is that observation deck on 24? 25? of the Customs House still open to the public? That second elevator you had to take was hilarious, and should have been in an Otis elevator museum.

It's open, but only at two specific times daily. Call the hotel to find out more.

A canal???

Right, so instead of a North-South Rail Link, we could just have submarines!

I LOVE IT!

Don't need no ?Stinklin Badges? No New Center, No Old Center er City Museum Nor even the Y on the Greenway ? they can built off the Greenway or even fronting the Greenway as Rowes Wharf and the Intercontinental do now so front it

If you want the Greenway to achieve its goal of being a green strip through the heart of the business zone and a tie to various residential zones ?then you want it to stay a series of parks connected by some greenish strips

The things that you want to build on the Greenway itself should be Comm Ave or Esplanade-scale stuff ? e.g. Statues, Fountains, small cafe kiosks, Sun Dials, Sculpture? A skating rink / summer wading pool-- ok

All of the stuff should be small enough so that the Iconic View of the Zakim--Bunker Hill Bridge is not blocked by some architects vision

The only big structure that I'd allow -- if I was the MfL would be a Great Glass Tent housing a year-round farmers/public market

Westy

The view of the Zakim will eventually be blocked anyway, because all of the Bulfinch Triangle parcels are designated for development, not parks.

The main problem with the Greenway, in my opinion, is that there's too much traffic. There are three lanes in each direction with really no buffer in between. It's LOUD! The sounds of trucks reverberate off of the nearby buildings. In my opinion, they should have only put two lanes in each direction and looked for more ways to calm and reduce the sound of the traffic. Perhaps this is something that can still be done...

^ it's both the most necessary and doable remedy.

Monday, February 4, 2008 - 1:48 PM EST
YMCA selects architect for Greenway project
Boston Business Journal

The YMCA of Greater Boston selected Boston-based CBT/Childs Bertman Tseckares Inc. to design its new facility on the Rose Kennedy Greenway.

Construction of the new 70,000-square-foot facility, located on Parcel 6 of the greenway, is expected to be complete by 2012. The cost of project of the project is undetermined.

The YMCA plans to build a state-of-the-art landmark facility which will serve as a community center for residents of the Boston's North End, West End, Charlestown, South Boston and parts of Beacon Hill. The project will be designed using "green" technologies or environmentally-friendly methods.

More here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/02/04/daily12.html?jst=b_ln_hl

Combination of these people and their not so affluent client probably means the result will be bland and uninspiring, or at least less than it should be for this site.

The main problem with the Greenway, in my opinion, is that there's too much traffic. There are three lanes in each direction with really no buffer in between. It's LOUD! The sounds of trucks reverberate off of the nearby buildings. In my opinion, they should have only put two lanes in each direction and looked for more ways to calm and reduce the sound of the traffic. Perhaps this is something that can still be done...

Itll be better in the summer when the trees have leaves, and even better in 5 years when theyve grown.

The pergolas in the North End parks should provide some of this buffering, once they are covered with vegetation.

CBT? Yet again? They must be just astounding in the room...

Back