Rose Kennedy Greenway

One park each for the North End, Waterfront, and Chinatown. Everything else should have been housing (I'd even bump up the affordable component to 25%). Now what Neighborhood could argue with that? Weren't 20,000 residents displaced from this area? Stringing together 15 vacant lots does nothing for our city.

TC, I agree with everything you say cept for "Now what neighborhood could argue with that? Actually, each of the above neighborhoods (along with many others) regularly raise hell when new developments are proposed for their area, including housing. I think Parcel 24 in Chinatown is one of the few large housing developments that has the support of the community. Low to Midrise housing with retail on the street level, with pocket parks spaced around would have been perfect for many parts of the Greenway but those ideas were doomed from the start! Hopefully, the YMCA, History Museum, and the New Museum will fill in some of the gaps.

I agree with the article. But, obviously it's not going to ever be redone... seems that these days once something becomes "park" or "open space" never shall it be developed!!

Anyways, one of my ideas for improving this area, and merging with the City Hall movement ideas, was to move City Hall to one of the Greenway parcels. Still in the central city, still near mass transit (the blue line), and would give some definition to the greenway.

Not really on the subject of the Greenway, more on the subject of businesses along the Greenway - Martignetti's, the red signed liquor store in the North End, closed a few weeks ago. I've heard it going to be a Citizens Bank, but I'd rather see something more original go in there. Unfortunately the building isn't very large though.

I agree! these parks could have been a lot better,everytime I,m down there(Greenway) they are deserted,maybe in the summer they'll get more use,after all the common and public gardens are also surrounded by suface roads,also they should still consider putting the Arminein Park there so at least it's a destination and not just a walk thru

Not really on the subject of the Greenway, more on the subject of businesses along the Greenway - Martignetti's, the red signed liquor store in the North End, closed a few weeks ago. I've heard it going to be a Citizens Bank, but I'd rather see something more original go in there. Unfortunately the building isn't very large though.

I thought I read somewhere more recently than the information on a new citizens bank - that a hooka bar would be going in the place of the old Martignettis.

I hate to sound dismissive, but I don't think an Armenian memorial, by itself, will ever make the Greenway a destination. The Greenway needs some things that will make day trippers and nearby residents seek out its use year round.

The plan should be to build *at least* one frivolous thing on each parcel that would draw people to that parcel. A three season carousel on one parcel, a skating rink on another, some modern sculpture (like that mirrored bean in Chicago) on a third, the city museum on another, the Y on another, a fountain on another, a puppet theatre on the next one, a summer and autumn beer garden on another. Every other or every third parcel ought to have a place like Milk St. Cafe in PO Square on it -- a place where office workers and day trippers can get a sandwich and a soda and sit out at a table, places where tourists can grab a cup of cocoa in winter.

Loading the Greenway with nothing but curved paths and green lawns and trees will guarantee that almost no one will visit it.

I got a notice the other day about a community meeting about the old Martignetti's. What I gathered is, Citizen's owns the property but that they haven't decided what to do with it yet. I don't care what goes in there, but seriously, if one more resturant opens up we are all going to have to rethink our definition of "Market Saturation."

Far better a restaurant on that location than a bank. Patio seating might actually make good use of all that extaneous brick paving there now as well (ugh god it would have been so preferable to put up a building there, leaving a narrow lane between it and the older buildings ala Blackstone Street).

I hate to sound dismissive, but I don't think an Armenian memorial, by itself, will ever make the Greenway a destination. The Greenway needs some things that will make day trippers and nearby residents seek out its use year round.

The plan should be to build *at least* one frivolous thing on each parcel that would draw people to that parcel. A three season carousel on one parcel, a skating rink on another, some modern sculpture (like that mirrored bean in Chicago) on a third, the city museum on another, the Y on another, a fountain on another, a puppet theatre on the next one, a summer and autumn beer garden on another. Every other or every third parcel ought to have a place like Milk St. Cafe in PO Square on it -- a place where office workers and day trippers can get a sandwich and a soda and sit out at a table, places where tourists can grab a cup of cocoa in winter.

Loading the Greenway with nothing but curved paths and green lawns and trees will guarantee that almost no one will visit it.

I agree. A skating rink and carousel are great ways at attracting families. We have a great huge community outdoor skating rink that is open everyday in winter and is free to everyone. It is very popular and is about 5 times larger than Frog Pond. They would even hold bandy and ice hockey tournaments which attract even more people. Something like this will no doubt attract lots of people during the dead of winter.

Citizens is putting an ATM there (replacing Bank of America's) but otherwise plans to sublease the rest of the property for commercial use. There is already a Citizens Bank branch a block away on Hanover.

I would legitimatly be there every day. I love sitting down for a nice cold beer on a summer day outside.

Could the Martignetti's site hold a boutique hotel? That way you could get some height, a restaurant and cafe and also a door man to add security to the park.

I agree. A skating rink and carousel are great ways at attracting families. We have a great huge community outdoor skating rink that is open everyday in winter and is free to everyone. It is very popular and is about 5 times larger than Frog Pond. They would even hold bandy and ice hockey tournaments which attract even more people. Something like this will no doubt attract lots of people during the dead of winter.
I think Moshe Safdie actually proposed that the area be used as a canal which could be used for boating in the summer and skating in the winter (a la the Rideau Canal in Ottawa). There's a description and pics on his site, but it's flash so I can't hotlink it.

^^ If only he gave as much thought to his building.

Rendering:
:D

I think Moshe Safdie actually proposed that the area be used as a canal which could be used for boating in the summer and skating in the winter (a la the Rideau Canal in Ottawa). There's a description and pics on his site, but it's flash so I can't hotlink it.

This is the best I could do:

2231277811_09e7d583ca_o.jpg

I think you are thinking of the plans that Mayor White had Safdie develop for North Station. That consisted of dredging a canal, converting the area to two islands.

No this is definitely from 2002. He probably just like canals a lot.

a high speed trolley running from north to south station would be nice, connect it to the sliverline at so station

I always liked my Idea of having at 1000' observation tower across from south station,not a tacky space needle but a simple marble like column! But then the Trans.Nat. place was proposed

Last edited:

Back