Rose Kennedy Greenway

How can it not cover the ramps if it's going to sit safely atop the ramps?

I've never heard of Utile, but they have some really, really neat stuff in their portfolio.

I kinda like this:

- Will cover the ramps

This actually will not cover any ramps. It is to be built on parcel 14 - between Fanueil Hall Marketplace and Christopher Columbus park. The ramp parcel is just north of this parcel.

OK!
Why don't we, ladies and gentlemen of this forum meet together on the R.K.G. and walk and talk and feel what's right and wrong about it all together???!!!!
The weather will help, HOPEFULLY!
Little by little we can make this "long park" a really better place!

OK!
Why don't we, ladies and gentlemen of this forum meet together on the R.K.G. and walk and talk and feel what's right and wrong about it all together???!!!!
The weather will help, HOPEFULLY!
Little by little we can make this "long park" a really better place!
Great idea

Thanks Statler.

And back to the Greenway... I will be in town for a couple days in early June and look forward to seeing the improvements since my last visit. I think I last visited about a year ago.

Wiserpak,

Sorry if the following sounds harsh, and I do not mean to criticize your general idea of organizing a forum meet, but the topic of the Greenway raises strong opinions in me.

I suppose the suggestion to have a forum meet on the Greenway could be possibly justified as some type of strictly academic exercise to conduct an architectural critique. Even at that what's most interesting about the greenway, which is very little, is what lies at the perimeter and those structures predate the greenway. However, as a socially engaging spot to meet, IMO the greenway fails miserably. There is no there, there. There are minimal people watching opportunities unless one enjoys watching people doing the equivalent of crossing the street as they proceed to points of interest on either side of the greenway. There is no place to even grab a cup of coffee or, god forbid, relax over a glass of wine or beer. Put in a german beer garden etc. and I and many others will be flocking to greenway to hang out and enjoy the space. Of course that type of activity is not happening anytime in the foreseeable future. I am waiting for a reason to visit the greenway and to stay and savor it.

I can't think of any true German beer gardens around here. The line between the atmosphere of an outdoor beer garden and outdoor patio get a bit blurry. Charlies Kitchen has a nice outdoor space, the barking crab has that open outdoors feel. Also, there is a bar/restaurant hidden away in the middle of Newton Centre that has a cool outdoor space. Its the sense of enclosure that I like in some of these spaces which make them unique compared to your typical sidewalk cafe.

What if Jacob Wirth's put outdoor seating on the adjacent parking lot during weekend nights in the summer? I think both the lot and restaurant are under the same ownership. Not sure if its practical logistically to roll out seating and overhead string lights on given nights or if the loss in parking lot revenue could be offset by creating an occasional beer garden. That could be boston 1st german beer garden.

Does Boston Beer Garden in Southie count? Never been, but judging by the name...

If I were to meet someone on the Greenway it would probably be at the fountain, but I don't think it has been turned on for the summer yet.

yeah i have spent a good ammount of time at that fountian. It is a good spot with a ton of people watching opportuities.

I am going on a road trip tomorow to a ton of cities and chicago is one of them. I was thinking about millenium park and specificaly the "Cloud Gate" sculpture in it. That piece is kind of like a modern day triumphant arch for chicago celebrating its ability to survive into the new millenium. I was thinking why not add a few large scale art works by notable artists to the Greenway. I think if any city deserves a modern triumphant arch it is boston for surviving the big dig. Some real art or intresting focal points spread across the park would help it tons. Plus it would help define the different parts of the greenway and give new things for the news stations to show in their opening credits hehehe.

If I were to meet someone on the Greenway it would probably be at the fountain, but I don't think it has been turned on for the summer yet.

Don't forget to bring an umbrella to provide for some shade, a mask to filter out the UFP's from the surface artery traffic, and, most importantly, your own refreshments because you can't find any on the greenway. /sarcasm/

I am going on a road trip tomorow to a ton of cities and chicago is one of them. I was thinking about millenium park and specificaly the "Cloud Gate" sculpture in it. That piece is kind of like a modern day triumphant arch for chicago celebrating its ability to survive into the new millenium. I was thinking why not add a few large scale art works by notable artists to the Greenway. I think if any city deserves a modern triumphant arch it is boston for surviving the big dig. Some real art or intresting focal points spread across the park would help it tons. Plus it would help define the different parts of the greenway and give new things for the news stations to show in their opening credits hehehe.

Regarding public art: they kind of have public art in the Chinatown park, they have left a support beam of the old elevated artery up by South Station; the illuminated light blade things in the wharf parcels. I suppose the N. End park trellises and fountains could be considered a form of public art. They have been peddling "the mother's walk" which I believe is an engraved cobblestone walk (this is a project frequently done over and over by towns and cities across the country) and aren't we're getting the armenian park which will likely be loaded with public art. The soon to be built Boston Harbor National Park pavilion looks like it will be more sculptural in design than an actual building (I'm thinking along the lines of Menino's weak attempt to improve City Hall Plaza along Congress Street with that tower and trellis thing with intergrated benches). I'm not holding my breath that public art will do anything to breath real life and vitality into the greenway other than possibly add some visual interest for those in their cars driving along the surface artery.

I think if any city deserves a modern triumphant arch it is boston for surviving the big dig. Some real art or intresting focal points spread across the park would help it tons. Plus it would help define the different parts of the greenway and give new things for the news stations to show in their opening credits hehehe.

One or two sculptures would be nice, but cities can REALLY do it with modern art... some of which gets ugly pretty quickly.

I was walking through Rosslyn, Virginia recently and couldn't help notice the sheer number of modern art pieces. It was too much. The sheer number of them took away from the beauty of each (some had no beauty to take from). Boston could use some, and the Greenway may be a fitting spot, but this is something to be careful with. Enjoy your road trip!

Back